3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

taotao.....good or bad?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2014, 09:01 AM
TLC
Extreme Pro Rider
God forbid he lets the polishing secret out!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't bother with a brand name for a kiddie quad, the little ones tend to be outsourced as well, so it's not like you're getting the same level of quality you'd get from a full sized machine.
Even though they are out sourced are they not made to their specs?

I know MTD make mediocre snow blowers but the ones they make for John Deer are made to JD specs with better parts like bearing, carbs, magnetos ,belts and even heaver cranks and rods.

My friend bought a used 50cc or 65cc Yamaha dirt bike for $1000 and it ran great. Once his kid grew out of it in 2 years he sold it for $900 and they guy who bought it will just do the same and so on and so on....
$100 loss for 2 years use seem like a deal.
He would not have got his $900 back if it was not for that Yamaha badge on the side of the gas tank I would bet.

Old 11-07-2014, 07:08 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by JosephIV
Ha ha, Cow Cow, I like that.

I have a disorder at the genetic level that makes me want to fix and improve things.

It is often detrimental to my wallet and free time.

Thankfully, you are right, this is probably a GOOD quad for the money.

I got that too.. and I have a machine shop to make stuff in.. fortunately I have a very understanding wife..

Yes it is..

Im sure you can get it going and get some fun out of it.. Ive got (2) 90cc mini utility chinese quads.. 1 has lived a pristine life.. the other one has about 75-100 hours of abusive adult use.. it needs some welding.. the axle mount that pivots on the swing arm broke.. someday maybe... its at the bottom of the projects list..

Old 11-07-2014, 04:04 PM
Trailblazer

Originally Posted by JosephIV
You have 57 posts.

JosephV, I am member of hondaatv and 450r forums with the same username. My posts are spread out in different subjects, while all your whimpy 11 postings are for bashing chinese quads on this thread.

What's your point? If you have to defend this brand and hope that people believe that you're not a rep than maybe something about your post stinks? This crappy TaoTao is my sixth ATV.

Well, lets give you a C- in initiative and motivation, but you definitely lack mechanical skills. 6th atv and still trying to figure out how they work.

Even though I regret buying my daughter a Predator 90 I'd regret getting her a TaoTao even more. At least the Predator has complete welds, the frame is square, and the wiring makes sense.

You have not done your homework. Its a fact one must tighten all bolts, verify all grounds and isolate them so they are NOT bonded together.

The tie rods on the TaoTao are adjusted to different lengths so one tire is turning 4 degrees while the other is straight. You can fool yourself into thinking TaoTao is okay but there's a reason why I was given a 2012 model for free. If I were considering paying money for a TaoTao I'd rather read my post and be forewarned than read yours and end up with something like the turd sitting in my shed.

Somebody is having a bad day... Been there, done that, Any other insults you wanna add? Obviously its an opinion, no facts whatsoever, do you have emails from the shop? who you bought it from? Lets hear all your drama since the beginning to see if after all you start to make sense.

I have nothing to gain by posting the truth about this POS quad. What do you have to gain by defending them?

Of course not, the same way I have nothing to gain as well, so this argument neutralizes itself. Anything else needs clarification?

I am no rep, if you wanna go and spend the extra cash for an atv that your son/daughter will outgrow then so be it. You have to do your homework, check what other forums say about the different online companies, check the videos, youtube member comments most of the time are legit. It has been said again and again, if you do not have any mechanical skills then chinese atvs or motorcycles are not for you. You just have to do the extra work immediately when you get them. On mine I had to change a few things, a phone call to the company who sold it to me fixed everything. In fact, when I received mine one of the wheels was wobbly, the company sent me two wheels and two tires for the inconvenience.

The local chinese atv sellers here where I live offer 5 year warranty in parts and labor. Chinese products have come a long way, similar to SSR pit bikes. Their QC has gotten much better, but that does not prevent for you to do the usual inspection and tinkering before going out and cluelessly ride the atv.

Old 11-10-2014, 05:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the laugh crankenstein. Whimpy post count? What are you, some insecure "Brah" from Bodybuilding.com? You're on this forum and two Honda forums. Congrats, your interests are varied. Among Hondas. And apparently TaoTaos.

Turning wrenches won't make the welds complete or the frame square but you've probably realized that.

Where do you live that you are offered a 5 year warranty on parts and labor? Name the dealer.

This site wasn't letting my edit my post before but now it will. So I will close by saying:

I got the "Cow Cow" running and idling pretty well. The kill switch doesn't work but it came with a spare. I had to kill fuel to shut it off. It has a fuel leak at an inline filter that I'm thinking the PO had installed. The rear axle bearing carrier assembly still has to be addressed before I can put a chain on it and ride. So far so good for free.

Crankenstein, I wish you and your family the best. It sucks that the internet makes people anonymous to each other to the point of insults or such. Should our paths cross I'd buy you a beer and hopefully we'd find that we both family guys and possibly decent people.

Old 11-14-2014, 04:23 AM
Trailblazer

12 posts thats all I got say.

C- on the last reply, maybe once you have the capacity too reach 20 your overall wrenching skills improve.

Its good, it means one of the two; either you are in the garage STILL trying to find out how to fix a chinese atv or you are to busy clocking in your couch potato time. LOL

Like I said, I am no rep, you have to dedicate some time BEFORE going all out riding. Electronics are subpar, the engines tend to be solid. We had a good time with ours and it sure was a LEARNING experience. If you dont have the brains and skills to wrench on them then unfortunately you gotta pay to play.

Old 11-14-2014, 06:46 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tao Tao is an extremely shoddy machine anything over a 110 is an absolute POS see my post. I am not just throwing crap I spent hard earned money on those things and it was as far as I am concerned wasted.

Old 11-14-2014, 07:13 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by crankestein

The local chinese atv sellers here where I live offer 5 year warranty in parts and labor.
Multiple sellers offering a 5yr parts and labor warranty?

Could we have the names of these sellers please?

Last edited by mywifesquad; 11-14-2014 at 08:17 AM.
Old 11-16-2014, 05:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by crankestein
12 posts thats all I got say.

C- on the last reply, maybe once you have the capacity too reach 20 your overall wrenching skills improve.

Its good, it means one of the two; either you are in the garage STILL trying to find out how to fix a chinese atv or you are to busy clocking in your couch potato time. LOL

Like I said, I am no rep, you have to dedicate some time BEFORE going all out riding. Electronics are subpar, the engines tend to be solid. We had a good time with ours and it sure was a LEARNING experience. If you dont have the brains and skills to wrench on them then unfortunately you gotta pay to play.

Still waiting on the contact info for the "Multiple" dealers offering 5 year warranties on TaoTao quads. LOL indeed.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:45 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default 09 kandi 250

does anybody have pictures of the wiring or had experience?
i replaced the start/kill/light assembly and im not getting and power threw the yellow/black wire to coil but im getting reverse polarity threw the blk/w wire when i hit the start button(16-18 volts) and its puzzeling me horribly someone please help!!

Old 01-28-2015, 01:33 PM
Weekend Warrior

Originally Posted by dakotamills
does anybody have pictures of the wiring or had experience?
i replaced the start/kill/light assembly and im not getting and power threw the yellow/black wire to coil but im getting reverse polarity threw the blk/w wire when i hit the start button(16-18 volts) and its puzzeling me horribly someone please help!!

The quad that I was given had a non-functioning kill switch installed. It came with a spare that was different. Neither worked. I simply fixed up the quad, got it running great, and passed it on to my buddy without addressing the kill switch. I killed it at the coil. It was free so I wasn't spending coin on a new switch or troubleshooting/fixing the quad any more than I already did. Sorry that I can't help.

I'll ask my buddy if he looked into it and post if I have info for you.