3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

chinese 150 motor will not fire

Old 06-20-2011, 12:26 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The worst thing you could do is buy a chinese or knock off quad regardless of finances or your current technical difficulties. Hope you figure it out.

Good Luck

Old 06-20-2011, 12:46 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by 420Pimp
The worst thing you could do is buy a chinese or knock off quad regardless of finances or your current technical difficulties. Hope you figure it out.

Good Luck
Chinese quads are not for everyone. If you're not mechanically inclined, don't like to tinker, can't turn a wrench, and are considering buying a chinese quad, then you would do well to consider 420Pimp's warning. Stay away.

But if you like challenges, like to play around with mechanical things, willing to inspect and maintain these things religiously, and don't want to spend a lot of money, chinese quads can be a good deal. I don't regret my purchase at all.

Before you buy, think and do research. Make an informed descision...

Old 06-20-2011, 08:19 AM
KTM Patrol
Former Chinese POW!
Received 46 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
Chinese quads are not for everyone. If you're not mechanically inclined, don't like to tinker, can't turn a wrench, and are considering buying a chinese quad, then you would do well to consider 420Pimp's warning. Stay away.

But if you like challenges, like to play around with mechanical things, willing to inspect and maintain these things religiously, and don't want to spend a lot of money, chinese quads can be a good deal. I don't regret my purchase at all.

Before you buy, think and do research. Make an informed descision...
I wouldnt recommend them to everyone either.. and some of the machines from China are total junk... having said that...

I got into off road riding at age 11... it was the summer of 1971.. The mini bike craze was in its early years(lasted another 4 or so) During this time there were great mini bikes.. good mini bikes, and junk mini bikes... I had a good/junk one.. its where/how I learned a lot of my basic mechanical skills.. Some of my best off road memories are on that 2.5 hp, no suspension mini bike... and I got the chance to jerry rig it at times to keep it moving...

If I had gotten a Rupp, Speedway, or Fox mini bike I dont think I would have learned so much at such a young age...

outofline bought 4 Jetmoto's 4 yrs ago.. has the experience been trouble free? No.. does he have countless hours of video of his adventures on those machines? Yes.. Did he get to spend time with his boys working on those quads? Yes.. Would he do it again? Yes..

They are definitelynot for everyone... and there is a lot of junk out there.. but do provide a way into the sport and a way to learn about the machine. If your capable of doing it, or want to learn to how...

Seriously... how many mechanical skills are you gonna learn if you buy a Honda 250 quad? Even a 15 yr old 1?

Old 06-22-2011, 06:24 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for your reply on my problem..i will check the voltage tomorrow...i have been very busy out of town.. i do appreciate your time with this.. my boys would like it greatly as well..

Old 06-23-2011, 01:39 PM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by tbwim
my boys would like it greatly as well..
just looking to see if you have any results from your troubleshooting activities.......didn't know if your boys were helping and learning along with you.

Old 06-23-2011, 02:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

yes...they are great help i hope they listen and learn like i did.. i checked the voltage coming in to the starter and it reads about 12 volts. is that correct or am i doing something wrong.

Old 06-23-2011, 05:33 PM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by tbwim
yes...they are great help i hope they listen and learn like i did.. i checked the voltage coming in to the starter and it reads about 12 volts. is that correct or am i doing something wrong.
If you measured 12 volts with your meter red right on the starter motor input post on the starter motor itself, and the black lead was right on the starter motor case while trying to turn the starter motor (ignition on, brakes applied, and start button pushed...), then there are only two choices:

1) Bad Starter motor
2) Engine is too hard to turn

Number two is not very likely unless there is something your not telling us about the last time you rode it (like it ran out of oil, or got overheated, etc.).

But be sure you did the test right. You must measure right on the starter motor itself (both leads) while the starter is attempting to turn. One thing that gives me a little concern is when vague results are reported like "about 12 volts" instead of exact readings .

Pull out the spark plug and see it the starter turns any better.

Old 06-24-2011, 10:38 AM
Trailblazer

I had that problem. Turns out the solid magnets in the starter were loose and it jammed the whole thing. So I bought a new starter, and a new solonoid. (just to be safe) but really, clean your battery posts first.

Old 06-24-2011, 04:48 PM
Weekend Warrior

thxs for all the replies... i did not get excatly 12volts at all times on the reading. it moves up to 12 volts and i wait a second and stop reading. it maxed out about 12.5... if i change the starter what is the process i need to take. i know i can rebuild this type but i will buy a new one instead. as far a changing it out please assist on the process. thanks so far this info... it is really cool for the shade tree mechanics...

Old 06-25-2011, 01:05 AM
Electrical Expert

Is this a GY6 engine? If so just remove the bolts holding the starter in and pull it out.

I don't have a ready made GY6 engine photo to post (I'll have to look around to get one and keep it handy for the future). GY6 engines have CVT belt drive, and plastic shrouds around the cylinder fins (part of a forced air cooling system). If you google "GY6 Engine" you'll get plenty of pic's.

When my neighbor's GY6 quad had a bad starter (starter wouldn't turn, with 12 volts right on the starter terminals), I found the cause to be corrosion on one of the brush holders inside. The corrosion was keeping the brush from pushing down firmly on the commutator, keeping the starter motor from turning with enough torque. I cleaned it up, put it back together and the starter worked another 2 years. It still worked fine when he sold it.

The point is that I would take apart the starter and look first before buying a new one.

If marsrover is right (and he is probably right ) then you need a new starter motor. But if it is something simple there is no harm in checking it out first.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: chinese 150 motor will not fire