3) General Discussions.. No problems but would like to discuss your Chinese quad experiences post in here.. You can also post in here why you hate your Chinese quad..

Hammerhead twister 150 starting

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2011, 02:48 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hammerhead twister 150 starting

I have a twister 150 I NEED TO REPAIR the starting system it act`s like the solinod is out I know ther is no solinoid but it`s the best way to explain what the starter is doing.
It tries to start makes 1 revolution then just spins ??

I think it is the stater clutch but cant figuer out how to get it apart. I took the starter off and tested it , it spins freely under no load.

all help is greatly appreciated

Thanks, Rich

Old 07-16-2011, 12:26 AM
Electrical Expert
Likes High Voltage In The Tub!
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I'm pretty sure the 150cc hammerhead is a GY6 engine. You can find full blown service manuals for that engine on the internet. The same engine is used for scooters, quads, and buggies, so you can use any of the GY6 service manuals for your buggy engine problems even if they are published by a scooter or quad manufacturer.

Look here for some really GY6 engine links (including free service manual links - which cover changing the starter clutch):

Chinese Scooter Reference

Old 07-16-2011, 10:19 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default hammerhead starting

Thanks Lynn,
That link helped , I believe the solonid is bad,
one other question, the manual stops short of showing the starting clutch assembly, I hope I dont need it but just in case.

Thanks again,
Rich

Old 07-16-2011, 11:07 AM
Electrical Expert

Originally Posted by Rich Novak
...I believe the solonid is bad...
The starter solenoid is just a high current relay that connects the battery up to the starter motor. It goes "click" when you push the start button. It could be bad for other reasons, but you were claiming (I think) that the starter motor (after one revolution of the engine) spins up while the engine does not. Is that correct? That's not the solenoid doing that.

If the solenoid was bad the starter motor would not spin at all, or the starter motor would stall and stop turning the engine. But this could also be caused by other things (bad battery, bad connection, bad starter, etc) so if this is the case you need a meter to perform some tests to narrow the problem down further.

...one other question, the manual stops short of showing the starting clutch assembly, I hope I dont need it but just in case....
In the link I provided in my last post download the Arrow Manual. Pages 33 through 35 document the removal, inspection, and replacement of the starter clutch.

Old 07-16-2011, 09:42 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default hammerhead 150 starting

Originally Posted by LynnEdwards
The starter solenoid is just a high current relay that connects the battery up to the starter motor. It goes "click" when you push the start button. It could be bad for other reasons, but you were claiming (I think) that the starter motor (after one revolution of the engine) spins up while the engine does not. Is that correct? That's not the solenoid doing that.

If the solenoid was bad the starter motor would not spin at all, or the starter motor would stall and stop turning the engine. But this could also be caused by other things (bad battery, bad connection, bad starter, etc) so if this is the case you need a meter to perform some tests to narrow the problem down further.

I think your description is better than mine, the starter does turn but only 1 turn then it makes a sound like the old cars did when the starter solenoid was bad.anyway I ordered one today so when it gets here I will find out, I dont have any reason the starter clutch is bad I though it was because I did not know about the solenoid until you sent me the link,

Thanks, Rich

In the link I provided in my last post download the Arrow Manual. Pages 33 through 35 document the removal, inspection, and replacement of the starter clutch.

Old 07-17-2011, 09:32 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default hammerhead 150 starting

Thanks Lynn,

I found the section on the starter clutch system, it looks like I have to tske both sides of the engine off to get to it.I didnt think it was going to be such a big deal.
Is the GY6 a good engine , when I contacted the distributor for a repair manual, he said ther is none available,so thanks again for your help.

Rich

Old 07-17-2011, 10:21 PM
Electrical Expert

Thanks Lynn,

I found the section on the starter clutch system, it looks like I have to tske both sides of the engine off to get to it.I didnt think it was going to be such a big deal.
Is the GY6 a good engine , when I contacted the distributor for a repair manual, he said ther is none available,so thanks again for your help.

Rich
The GY6 engine is a good reliable engine. And as you have now discovered, there is a wealth of documentation to go with it, and a parts supplier base that is huge.

The Chinese really don't know anything about quads (or buggies). I've been to China several times, and no one I've talked to knows what I'm talking about when I mention my Chinese built quad (nor did they understand why I would want such a thing). But they all know scooters. Many own them, and use them to commute to work. And the Chinese are savy, demanding consumers. Thus the quad/buggy specific stuff may not be so good, but the scooter engine stuff they have down pat since they buy and use this part of the product themselves.