Polaris Discussions about Polaris ATVs.

1997express 400 rebuild project

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1997express 400 rebuild project

just got finished rebuilding 400 motor. did new rings seals and gaskets.
im readey to reinstall into bike.

now for the questions.........

1 Do i need a batery on the bike to start it? It didnt have batery when i got it.

2 i need a batery to run fan on radiator correct.?

3 what oil does the transmision use? i want to change its oil? How much oil goes back in? The transmision came out of my 95 polaris 400 2x4 parts bike. I got as a rolling frame motor trans and rear swing and axle fit my experess also.

4 i unhooked Oiler . planing on mixing my gas and oil myself. I was thinking an mixing 20 to 1 on first tank does this sound ok? I was planing on buying Bell Ray 2 cycle oil .

Ok thats all my questions for now. Thanks for all the help and advice you guys have been providing me. This site is a great place to be . Thanks to all!

Old 02-28-2010, 11:51 AM
Pro Rider

You don't need a battery to start it, BUT, you should have a good battery in it anyway. Theres an issue with the way they charge on older machines and without a good battery you can have several electrical issues down the road(some of the issues can keep the motor from running too. My advice, put a battery in it.

The trans uses Polaris AGL. I think it around 19 oz.

20 to 1 will be fine for breaking it in. You may foul a plug or two.

Old 02-28-2010, 12:32 PM
Quad Patrol
Don't let the hp numbers fool you. Its all in how you get it to the ground. Clutching clutching clutching!
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

40:1 is what you need to premix.I would leave the injector system on.It is very reliable and you get the oil you need when you need it.

Old 02-28-2010, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

well I got the motor in this afternoon . Test fired it. I found out it does have spark . Now I need to flush fuel tank and get it and the exhaust put back on for more testing. I also need to flush radiator and refill it too. It looks like its all comeing together. I just wish I could skip work tommarow and finish

I choose not to use auto oiler due to not knowing if it failed and seized the last motor on the express. I also didnt want to take chance and trust it. Id rather just mix my gas and know I dont need to wory about it. Im sure they normaly work great but ,dont feel like trying to adjust it since it got takin off during motor rebuild.

I just need to get me a batery, polaris agl for trans and some good 2 cycle oil this week. I cant wait till my next day off!

Old 03-01-2010, 05:09 AM
Super Quad Patrol
I'm watching you!
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i would recommend putting a battery in as harley stated and to run the fan, lights and what not a battery is a must.

Old 03-01-2010, 08:44 PM
Trailblazer

im shopping for a good batery this week. I found a $50.00 and$75.00 ones at wally word,but want to check Interstae bateries also. any sugesstions an where to get the best batery for my money? Thanks

Old 03-01-2010, 09:36 PM
Pro Rider

PAID $29 LAST TIME I GOT ONE AT WALLYWORLD,I THINK THERE IS A REASONAble one on ebay i'll check........

Old 03-02-2010, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

I got my batery today. i picked up a batery from Atwoods Ranch Store. It was $39.oo.. I cant wait till my next day off.

Old 03-06-2010, 09:48 AM
Trailblazer
Smile

Help! I got allmost every thing back on . I charged my new batery and hooked it up. Treid to start with starter , but all i get is a click when i hit strart button at the positive Batery cable solinoid. I have cleaned all cable ends so far except the one on the starter. Is there a lock nut on the starter cable stud?.I cant tell it looks very rusted. I turned the nut and whole cable moves . I think this is the problem but not sure.

Also the batery is new i filled with acid as the instrucions said, They said somthing about after charging ,batery should gas freely And specific gravity should be around 1.282 for 12 volts. How do i check this ?

I charged the batery with a brand new black and decker charger at 2amps. But charger only charged for about 2 hours before it kicked off to full charge . This seems like it would need more charge to me.

So far i know i have spark with key and run switch on. I know i have no spark with run switch off, so kill switch works I can get it to fire gas i put in spark plug hole. I injured my left elbow tryng to start it with rope starter before i had batery hooked up.

What does the yellow overide button do by kill switch?

Thanks again.

Old 03-06-2010, 10:04 AM
Pro Rider

the override button takes the reverse rev limiter out of the picture when backing up, so you can have full power in reverse. It's a lawyer button.

Quick Reply: 1997express 400 rebuild project