Suzuki Discussions about Suzuki ATVs.

LT 80 issues

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2023, 04:38 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LT 80 issues

Howdy all, I am a noob around these parts, I purchased a refurbed LT80 about 3 years ago, it was running fine, my kids broke the key and I found a replacement 4 wire key fob , I changed the key but the bike would not start and still does not. The bike was not starting so I replaced the starter relay and the fuse was blown as well.

The bike still will not start, I tried jumping the wires on the starter relay and the electric starter starts, it started like this once or twice, now it will not start at all. If I bridge the wires it either does gudu gudu gudu sound and sometimes a buzzing sound. Eventually it did start once, the bike idles but if you give it gas it does rev or provide any power.

Any assistance on what I should look at first to repair it?

Thank you

Old 07-16-2023, 02:56 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 311 Likes on 305 Posts

Firstly, did you get a genuine, or Chinese copy of an LT80 ignition switch, or a "universal" switch? Suzuki don't follow the Honda wiring colour system that universal stuff uses, so be sure your switch is wired up right. Next, charge the battery, a buzzing solenoid indicates a flat battery, loose wires (including earths) or seized engine, this is common on LT80s, if you leave the tap on prime the engine fills with fuel and locks up. The usual problem with poor running is dirt in carb, but change the plug first, just in case. Low compression due to bore/ring wear also makes them bad to start and not much power, a blocked exhaust will drop power too.

Old 07-16-2023, 04:57 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by merryman
Firstly, did you get a genuine, or Chinese copy of an LT80 ignition switch, or a "universal" switch? Suzuki don't follow the Honda wiring colour system that universal stuff uses, so be sure your switch is wired up right. Next, charge the battery, a buzzing solenoid indicates a flat battery, loose wires (including earths) or seized engine, this is common on LT80s, if you leave the tap on prime the engine fills with fuel and locks up. The usual problem with poor running is dirt in carb, but change the plug first, just in case. Low compression due to bore/ring wear also makes them bad to start and not much power, a blocked exhaust will drop power too.

Its a universal 4 wire ignition switch. Should i rewire or change for genuine?

First thing Ill do is check all the wirong for any damage and try and fix the switch. The fuel tap was open so perhaps it is full of fuel, can one enpty or just try to start with the fuel off?

Old 07-17-2023, 02:34 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 311 Likes on 305 Posts

Suzuki taps don't have "off," run and reserve are switched on automatically by the vacuum in the inlet manifold. On prime the tap is open all the time. Engine needs to be spun over with the plug out if it is full of fuel. Any spark will ignite fuel sprayed out, I have set LT80s on fire doing this so disconnect a coil thin wire first, making sure it can't spark either. With ignition switches, either genuine (over $100) or Chinese copy of genuine, never universal.

The following users liked this post:
Joeblogs (07-18-2023)