Kids Quads & Other ATV's - Ask an Expert! An area where experts in their field will answer non-general questions about your Chinese made ATV. mywifesquad, LT80, LynnEdwards and other experts will answer your questions as they have time.

lt 80 wont start

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2014, 10:04 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default lt 80 wont start

brought a lt80 at an auction , got it home and no starter in it , got the starter and pressed the start button but nothing happens , can start the quad by running a wire from the battery to the starter terminal and crossing , have unplugged the connections for the wires going to the starter button with the yellow plug on it and don't have any power at any of the terminals , whats wrong where is my problem ?

Old 02-01-2014, 10:34 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you have to check your harness, if you dont have power going to the cdi or coil, you can rig the starter all you want and its not going to start, it will just turn over and over

you can run a power wire to the lug on the starter to test it, the starter's ground is its mount. make sure you have the ground wires to the engine or even that wont matter.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:04 AM
Weekend Warrior

hi when I run a wire from the battery I can start the quad no problem , it also turns off from the kill switch I just have no power to the start button , the starter relay is new as is the fuse by the relay

Old 02-01-2014, 11:53 AM
Range Rover

some of the newer years have a breaker that trips, it would be under the right side "passenger" side under the rear plastics. it will be a white plastic button that has to be pushed in to reset it

Old 02-01-2014, 12:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

yeah the white yoke with the red reset button in the centre , tried that already .thanks ,any other ideas, I tested power to the starter relay and have power and tested power to the fuse and have power

Old 02-01-2014, 03:39 PM
Range Rover

is the relay clicking when you hit the button

also do you have the rear foot brake parking lever up? if that switch down there isnt pushed in it wont start

Old 02-02-2014, 06:05 AM
Weekend Warrior

yes the rear brake is locked in position and there is no click from anything, the relay has been replaiced and the starter is new also , my problem seems to be there is no power to the wiring harness with the yellow plug on it to connect the kill switch and start button, the kill works as when you slide it over it earths out and stops the engine as does the safety with the foot brake ,if not in the up position it wont start but does start fine first time when a wire is touched from the battery to the starter.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:08 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
LT80 Expert
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts

Those buttons have been known to go bad.

Old 02-02-2014, 10:49 AM
Range Rover

Originally Posted by 2362marshall
yes the rear brake is locked in position and there is no click from anything, the relay has been replaiced and the starter is new also , my problem seems to be there is no power to the wiring harness with the yellow plug on it to connect the kill switch and start button, the kill works as when you slide it over it earths out and stops the engine as does the safety with the foot brake ,if not in the up position it wont start but does start fine first time when a wire is touched from the battery to the starter.
have you checked the wiring going to the key switch?

also, when you touch the wire from battery to starter, your obviously bypassing the relay, so the parking brake safety switch is taken out of the scenario.

do you have the wiring diagram? if you have a multi meter and can post the diagram i can tell you very easily how to pin point the issue.

Old 02-02-2014, 11:45 AM
Weekend Warrior

when I bypass the start switch the brake pedal still needs to be locked or it just cranks and wont start ,I tested the main wire going to the relay its a dark blood red wire with canvas wrapping , it has power running to it but the only way I have found to start it is by taking power from the battery and crossing the starter

The following users liked this post:
LtResurrector (01-12-2022)

Quick Reply: lt 80 wont start