CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Popping through carb...??

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2002, 10:19 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Popping through carb...??

Hey... I just went to show a friend my new exhaust, and while I would rev it up, it would pop, and I could feel it under my seat. So I was riding, and went to get on the throttle and it did the same thing, one time the bike died? Am I too lean? I am running a 185 main jet, clip on third groove from the top(dynojet needle). Also I thought it was because it was cold at first, but it was still doing it after a few minutes of running. Any help guys??

Old 11-26-2002, 11:54 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, well I just tried the bike again. Got one pop through the carb, and then a few pops out of the exhaust? Any help guys?????????????

Old 11-26-2002, 11:55 PM
Pro Rider

Run the 190 jet, put the needle in the 3rd clip with ALL washsers below it. Take your airbox lid off and test it..

Old 11-27-2002, 12:09 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: MudStud
Run the 190 jet, put the needle in the 3rd clip with ALL washsers below it. Take your airbox lid off and test it..
I have the carb mount filter on it, does that change anything?

Old 11-27-2002, 01:21 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The problem is obviously jetting since it worked fine before the pipe, right? So start going up on the main jet & see what happens. Since you've got the carb. mount filter and a new exhaust it's almost impossible to be running rich so just go up a good amount and see what happens. You'll want to have a few hours to spend getting it close & not near your house unless you neighbors are really nice about that stuff. Once you get it close, ride it for a couple of hours & see what the plugs look like then.

Old 11-27-2002, 01:33 AM
Pro Rider

Yeah, it was perfect before putting on the pipe, the strongest stock DS I've ever ridden. Yeah, I started out at 195 and my mechanic said it was running really rich, so I went down to the 185. I'll try the 190 tomorrow, then I just have find a place to ride it. When I look at the plugs, where exactly am I looking?? From what I've read, it is supposed to be a tannish color, right? Thanx for everyones help.

Old 11-27-2002, 01:50 AM
Pro Rider

Yea it makes a HUGE differance if you have the carb mount.. I would definately run the 190. Put the fuel air screw at 2 7/8 to 3 turns out. I would also run the needle in the 3rd clip with the washers below.. I got this info from a friend, and they have tested it and seems to be the best setup.

Old 11-28-2002, 03:23 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

BajaDS650,

There are three basic colors of the plugs, and alot of shading in between. Lean is generally a white/grey-ish color. However, when it's lean you may have to look on the ceramic part of the electrode (you kinda look down into the hole & if you see white/grey there it is lean.) Near perfect jetting is a nice coffee brown. This brown color will be on the electrode and on some of the outlaying surfaces, it is fairly obvious. Rich jetting would yield black or very dark brown plugs. Extremely rich would give you wet looking black plugs. When the machine is rich and the plugs are black, they are black all over, (even on the lower threads) not just on the electrode. One thing to remember is that many people in the foum have said the DS 'reads' a little leaner than it is when jetting from the plugs, however if you get brown plugs that is probably the best you'll do without a dyno & exhaust gas temps as well as other equipment.

I would agree that you should set the fuel/air screw at 2 & 7/8th to 3 turns out as well, (this screw has very minor affects on the engine, and all of those effects are at idle) however it is always good to have everything adjusted correctly. When you are adjusting the jetting you'll want to get the main adjusted as well as possible first, then when you think you have that, try adjusting the needle.

As you probably know, the air / fuel screw affects the carb between 0 and 1/4 throttle, the needle from 1/4 to 3/4 and the main jet from 3/4 to full throttle.

Also do a search in the forums about it popping through the carb. someone posted information about that sort of thing and how to read it. (I know they said it meant either a rich or a lean situation, however I don't remember what exactly was said.)