CAN-AM (BRP) Discussions about CAN-AM ATVs.

Which mods are best?

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2002, 07:44 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which mods are best?

I am very interested in waking up my '03 Baja. I talked with a couple of manufacturers about full or slip-on exhausts. I am down to 3 after some talk- White Brothers, HMF, or MBRP. They all suggested with just bolt-on mods that a slip on would be just as effective as a full system. Which would be the best and why (hp, decibel, fit and finish, etc). I looked at the Ron Woods package, it seems great but a little more than I want to spend. If I put on the slip-on, cdi unit, and rejetted, how close might I be to the Ron Woods set-up? I want all the power increases in the bottom and mid-range that I can get. Mostly woods so that's where I spend about 90% of my time. Is the carb a big boost along with these mods also? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks for your help. This forum convinced me to buy the DS instead of the Cannondale (that and it's ugly!)

Old 12-17-2002, 07:55 PM
Pro Rider

MBRP pipe
Ron Woods CDI
UNI filter carb mount
Lectron or Mikuni carb
Tires
sprockets

that's my opinion, there was another post just like this a couple weeks ago, try and do a search.

Old 12-17-2002, 11:57 PM
Elite Pro Rider

i ride in the sand mainly but when i trail ride, gearing seems to be the big thing. i would go with the woods stage 1, but it isn't the only way. the cdi box i would say is a must, a k&n filter is another must. after that i would ask if protection and traction are more inportant. i'm not convinced that just a slip- on is the best bang for the buck. check with markynark.com he is getting end caps for the stock pipe. the stock ds seems plenty fast for woods riding. but that is just me. i did go with the 17 front and i could pull away from my brother, but when it came to the corners i was more concerned about traction. when i took my engine apart the intake manifold didn't line up with the head at all so i had the shop machine that , although this would take a engine break down , so piston and cams and porting would be a good thing at that time. but if you can do the work i think those are better than the stage one kit. i base that on what i have done, and my buudies stage one, his runs real well, but mine just blest past his, piston,cams and porting( no pipe or carb,yet. i have about $250 less than him and much faster. i tell him it is all the paint on his, it looks great. good luck the desire never goes away i'm starting my wifes bike next then the Lt 80 then the 240 kit for the blaster . i do think the woods stuff is great and worth the money and it costs the same a piece at a time.

Old 12-18-2002, 11:32 PM
Trailblazer

As you can see I basically have the RW Stage 1 except I have a different pipe. I also changed the gearing. I ride in the sand alot and have been very happy with the results I have obtained. I haven't tried it yet with these new paddles, but am looking foward to trying those out at Pismo during Xmas. When adding these mods, I did it in stages and I can say I saw gains with every stage. Not sure how the RW pipe is, but the rest of it I have been completly happy. My only issue now is I seem to be shifting more often when trail riding due to the gearing change, but I'm willing to sacrifice that for shooting up the hill better.

The only problem I have know is wanting to go faster. I see 760 sometime next summer. Oh yea baby.

Old 12-18-2002, 11:52 PM
Pro Rider

Is everyone outta Elk Grove gonna get a 760?

Old 12-19-2002, 12:10 AM
Trailblazer

Hurcyne:

There is a virus that has spread in this city. It's very contagious.

Old 12-19-2002, 12:34 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I had nothing to do with the virus. I think it came from El Dorado Hills. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Keeping up with the Jones' is great for the economy.

Old 12-19-2002, 08:41 AM
Pro Rider

as for the biggest bang for the buck i would have to say it was with the carb. i have the 45mm form ron wood, as for the cdi i went with the albas and an happy with it, i didnt notice any power gains but it lets you use more of the motors top end power letting the motor get more rpms, you can tell a little change with the gearing i have gone with 15/43

Old 12-19-2002, 05:30 PM
Trailblazer

Dune Me:

If you listen to my wife, it's all your fault. You should of never let me ride your DS that day. I cost my $7k plus my current and future mods.

Old 12-20-2002, 02:12 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

FinalClimax:

Don't forget how much the Waterski trips cost you too [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]