Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

02 Artic Cat 250 2X4 adding a speedo?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 03:53 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 02 Artic Cat 250 2X4 adding a speedo?

The 250 Cat I just bought doesn't have a speedo/odometer, can I buy a kit or upgrade from Artic Cat? If so how hard would this be to put on?

I took it out to our hunt club and was told it wouldn't make it but it went every where, though the deep mud was more of a challenge to it than the 4X4's but it didn't get stuck. I like the fact it's a full sized ATV even though the motor is alittle small but it will do me fine until my son can ride it alone and I'll opt for the 400 4X4 a friend has one and its impressive.

Hey 250 Cat owners, what winch do you have on your ATVs?

Thanks,
BlazerSC
02 250 2X4

Old 05-19-2003, 05:36 PM
Range Rover

Yes arctic cat has a speedo for the 250 Item # 0436-129. Very easy to put on.

They don't offer gear indicator lights for the 250. But it can be done for about $75 bucks.

Old 05-20-2003, 09:24 AM
Trailblazer

Yes you can add a speedo to the 250. I think in the Cat catolog they are ~$100. Something to think about is a basic eTrex GPS can be had for about the same money, and it'll do more than the speedo.

I have a Warn 2500 on my 250. I've not had to use it much, so not really a lot of experiance with it. Seems to be plenty big enough.

I really am impressed with the 250. In low range it'll pull like a tractor. It's not the speediest thing out there, but for a full sized utility and the price it's pretty hard to beat.

-jeff b.

Old 05-20-2003, 10:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info guys, hey you mentioned a Cat catalog, where would I get one? Tricat you read my mind, one reason for the speedo was I hoped it would have gear indicators in it. How can I do this for $75? Bartojc you make a great point about the GPS so maybe I should do the GPS and the gear indicator and forget about having an odometer.

Do you guys use low range for anything but towing? I tried it in the mud but really got through it better just blasting through in high range. Oh yeah it did get dirty for the first time, its brown now not green got to wash it tomorrow. I can't believe the guy I got it from just never rode it it's a blast.

Thanks,

Old 05-21-2003, 08:36 AM
Trailblazer

Most dealers have an accessories catolog. You can download one from their website. They send me a snowmobile acc and an ATV acc catolog in the mail. I guess I've owned/own to many toys [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

I've only used low when towing/dragging stuff around. Anytime when the engine lugs hard and you need a lower gear is when I use low. Sometimes wheel spin is a good thing in mud, and speed is more important than using low. I guess it depends on the situation.

-jeff b.

Old 05-21-2003, 11:57 AM
Range Rover

The biggest expense is the LED panel from A/C part # 0420-034. I got mine from Alpha Sports, $60 + Shipping.

I am taking this step by step as I remember because I do not know what Level your mechanical skill is. So use what you need.

The other items you will need is.
6 terminal plug
5pcs. 16 ga. wire about 3 feet long. I used 5 different colors but it is not necessary.
The wire connector off your old LED Panel.

It's easier to do this with the plastic off your ATV.

You need to locate the 6 wire connector coming from the gear shifter switch. The switch is located by the starter and the connector is by the CDI box on the same side as the battery. The connector has 6 wires coming in to it and only 1 red wire coming out. The red wire is for the Neutral light. I replace the factory connector with the 6 terminal plug I purchased and connected 1 side of the connector to the wires coming from the shifter switch using solder and heat shrink.

Then I plugged the connector together and using a test light hooked to the POS. side of the battery, I first located the neutral wire and marked it using numbered marking tape. Writing on masking tape works too. Then shifted into 1 gear and found the wire for first, Shifted to second, so on until I had all the wires marked. Connect the neutral wire from the connector to the existing red neutral wire. Then connect the 5 pcs. of wire to the connector.

Replace your old LED with the New one and connect the matching plug to the plug the old unit was at. Then cut the connector off the old LED panel and plug it into the other connector from your new LED.

Turn the key on and then ground 1 wire at a time from the connector and mark the wires with the corresponding Gear light that lights up. You will have 1 wire that is not used from the 6 wires.
Connect the 5 wires from the shifter switch to the LED plug matching the Numbers.

I wrapped all the wires and routed them nicely . Used Dielectric grease on all the connectors. BLA BLA BLA. I think you get the picture.

Hope you can understand all this, If not let me know and I will try to explain better.

You can also go the Expensive way and purchase a new main wiring harness for a 300 4X4. But be ready to shell out about $150 bucks.