Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Has someone finally made the perfect ATV?

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 10:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has someone finally made the perfect ATV?

I wouldn't expect a manual trans version anytime soon. Kaw didn't make this engine with one, so there'd be some serious tooling to be done. Still, it's an attractive package - if the price isn't too bad and I can get a decent trade/sale of my 500i manual...

I don't think Cat makes the engine, they probably just buy them from Kaw. A smart move - engines are very good today, and very expensive to build from scratch, as Cannondale found out. If they just hadn't tackled making engines, they'd probably still be selling quads today.

Actually, manual trannies seem to be coming back, a bit. Cat got it started, then Suzuki followed suit with the Vinson manual. Maybe when I'm really old and gray, I might retire my left foot. Until then, I'd prefer to remain a shifty rascal.

Old 06-18-2003, 11:51 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Lurch77
2004 Arctic Cat 650. The sweetest engine on the market, one of the best IRS systems on the market, switchable 2wd/4wd, locker, 7 gallons of fuel. And fairly light at 644lbs. Is this the perfect quad we have all been waiting for?
How much is the new CAT?

Old 06-20-2003, 01:30 PM
Weekend Warrior

If they use the same clutch/belt setup as Kawi has, then this will NOT be good! This is the latest rumor. This has to be one of the most trouble prone clutch systems I've heard of. I just hope they go with AC's setup rather than the infamous KAPS. Just look at the Kawi forum and you'll see how much they have to do to keep those systems tuned up - this is the main reason why I didn't buy one when I was looking.

Old 06-20-2003, 01:45 PM
Pro Rider

AC uses their own clutching system, Dura-something, the main difference being that the belt is ALWAYS engaged, turning with the engine. This greatly reduces belt wear and gives a snappier throttle response as the belt's already partially engaged. Cat also uses an aluminum clutch cover as opposed to plastic like other manufacturers. Means it won't distort under high heat, or extreme cold and has a better seal. Don't know if they get wet, I have a manual, but from what I hear, they're good, if a bit noisy. Remains to be seen if they'll hold up under the grunt of the 650. My .02

Old 06-20-2003, 02:56 PM
Pro Rider

I found my friends auto 375 was a tad noisy, but one of the best autos ive driven. We have been over the tranny in water lots of times and never had an issue. (yet)

Old 06-20-2003, 05:16 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Smittywood
If they use the same clutch/belt setup as Kawi has, then this will NOT be good! This is the latest rumor. This has to be one of the most trouble prone clutch systems I've heard of. I just hope they go with AC's setup rather than the infamous KAPS. Just look at the Kawi forum and you'll see how much they have to do to keep those systems tuned up - this is the main reason why I didn't buy one when I was looking.
I actually find the Kawi system to be one of the best I have ridden. Kawasaki does a poor job on setup from the factory. Once you add a stiffer secondary spring, and re-shim the belt to correct specs, you can have a trouble free machine. I have not had a problem with for over a year after doing this. The only problem with this tranny is how Kawasaki lets it leave the factory.

Old 06-20-2003, 06:45 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: Smittywood
I disagree.I have a 03 p650 with the stiffer spring and havent had any trouble,and thats with a lot of mud and technical rideing.from the factory their belt is a little loose but tighten it and its very reliable,smooth ahd oh so fast.as for the material of the clutch cover the composite holds up just as good as the aluminum if not better,it doesnt dent its lighter and it dissapates heat better.I know because I also have a a.c. 500 auto when you ride them you cant tell the diff between the cat and the kaw,besides one meows and one moo's (haha).
dont dog on kawasaki Mr. Arctic Cat, because from now on you are part of kawy.