Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Snow tires for new cat

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2003 | 06:45 PM
|
Weekend Warrior
Default Snow tires for new cat

I'm preparing to order new artic cat 400 or 500i and intend to replace original equipment tires with a better tire. I'm a senior who will be using this atv in deep snow in Idaho and Montana during elk and deer season. I want a good confortable tire that is good on the rocky and wooded trails, deep snow, and some mud, and on mountain trails. I live near Banson Mo.. Also would you stay stock on size or move up to a 26" tire? I don't want any axle issues that cat had on 03 models. I've been considering the mud bug or bear claw. What about the mud lite in snow? Thanks, Bill

Old 06-19-2003 | 11:09 PM
Pro Rider

Tons of snow riding experience here, any tire more aggresive than stock tires are useless in snow. Stockers are the best in snow, unless the snow is only 1-2 feet deep then a mud tire can be used but only if you can hit bottom. If you riding in deep snow like 3+ feet then stockers kick ***. I would buy a set of mud lites for every season but winter and use stockers for winter if the snow is deep.

Old 06-19-2003 | 11:26 PM
Range Rover

the mudlite is an outstanding tire. i am starting to see them more and more often even on sport bikes.

Old 06-19-2003 | 11:58 PM
Pro Rider

I agree catsmeow, bang for the buck, mudlites are great tires, getting good reviews.

brent. hehe are you serious??? dunflops in the snow over lites? whats in the water up there?

Old 06-20-2003 | 12:17 AM
Pro Rider

If the snow is 1-2 feet deep a stock tire will be a little worse than a mud tire. When its deeper a mud tire is the worst thing possible, they all shovel the snow. Stock tires are the best in snow, I don't run my outlaws in winter I run my stockers you stay on top alot more and thats the key to snow.

Old 06-20-2003 | 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

I suppose. You got me there. Ive only ever had stocks in the winter.

Old 06-20-2003 | 01:44 AM
Pro Rider

just ordered my mudlites, glad to hear all the good things everyone is saying about them!

Old 06-20-2003 | 05:02 AM
Pro Rider

my stock tires were ok in the fresh snow or the frozen snow but when it was packing snow they sucked big time. i got my gators in march and we had lots of wet packing snow and thay performed great gators are a sweet tire. gators, mud lites, itp589s, there all good in the snow. better than any stock will ever be. and if you do get some new tires get them in 26" 27" 28 " or you wont get the deep lug. and the deep lug are better in the snow.check out my pic's and see what thay look like.

Old 06-20-2003 | 10:16 AM
Range Rover

I guess I differ from the norm, (nothing new)

I think radials are going to be the tire for trails and snow. I put a set of ITP Holeshot ATR's on the 454 2X and have been impressed every day we ride. They give a nice soft ride on rocky rutted trails, Nice wide flexible footprint, They make my 4X4 stockers look like bicycle tires. Good rim protection and the tread pattern works great on icy conditions.

When I first got my 97 2X, I rode with a friend that had a Yamaha tera-pro. (Big heavy ag type quad with PTO) He had a set of sure-traks on the back. Even though my cat had much better ground clearance, when we would ride in deeper snow I would dig and get high centered were he would float on top and GO!! They had a good 14 in. of tread on the ground.

I will be replacing my stockers on my 4X end of summer and I am going with ITP radials or Outlaw Radials but I have not seen the outlaws other that in pictures so have not made my mind up yet.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 06-20-2003 | 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

mudblaster:

When the snow packs and its not very deep yah a mud tire will beat the stocker but when its deep and you can pack the snow down you can't beat the stockers, they pack snow so well. You can go through 10 feet of deep snow with some patience with stockers, with mud tires trying to cross that same stretch of snow you would be getting pulled out, they don't pack at all. Also I have in the past only used manuals and they are great for snow, you can make it so the quad will not spin no matter how much throttle you give it and thus packing it down. I don't know about autos yet though, I'm sure they will pack down snow well too.

Quick Reply: Snow tires for new cat