Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

new cat questions. please advise

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2003, 11:03 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new cat questions. please advise

Picked up my new 500i manual last wednesday. I have read alot of the postings about the fan override switch. Please explain how and why this is needed. or the reason for it. Also the big cat runs great. But it seems to rattle or tap alittle @ higher rpms. 3rd and 4th gear but sounds fine @low speeds. I took it to a local shop I deal with and they ran it though the gears a couple of times and said nothing was wrong. Just the sound of the beast. my comparison is my honda ranch witch is super smooth and quiet throughout a gears. is this somthing that will quiet down as it breaks in??? Any comments will be greatly appreciated. even from Krazy Cat. THANKS IN ADVANCE GUYS!!!!!

Big Cat Daddy
Charles Taylor

Old 07-16-2003, 11:20 PM
Trailblazer

I thought the same thing about mine as far as the noise goes, I've had it a couple of weeks and now have about 40 miles on it, the noise has lessened with more miles. I haven't got on it that much, but are you as impressed with the power as I am. I can only compare it with my '00 300ex and '01 400 foreman 4x4 that I have sold but this thing seems to have a ton of low end with very good getty up. Great question about the fan override. I didn't even know about the switch so I'll try and keep close tabs on this thread to try and learn something. Hope you enjoy you new kitty as much as I'm going to enjoy mine.

Old 07-16-2003, 11:30 PM
Trailblazer

YEA I AM. THIS BIG CAT HAS ALL I NEED. THEY SAY THEIR NOT VERY FAST. IF YOU NEED TO GO FASTER THAN THESE BIG CATS. BUY A SPORT BIKE. I ONLY HAVE 16 MILES ON SO FAR , SO I'M STILL IN THE BREAKIN TOO.
THANKS FOR THE REPLY.

BIG CAT DADDY

Old 07-17-2003, 12:50 AM
Pro Rider

The switch is not ness. But i put it on so the fan wont cycle on and off, just stay on under load. Even from krazy cat? lol.

Old 07-17-2003, 12:55 AM
Range Rover

congrats on the new bike. the fan overide is handy for this situation: your riding along and the fan is running, you come to some deep water or mud. if your fan bogs down it will blow the fuse and 30 minutes later your temp light comes on. the bike will cool off considerably in the water and mud (unless you feel the need to rev the motor while your stuck and going nowhere) so you don't need the fan anyway. its a cheap, easy mod that takes about 20 min.

Old 07-17-2003, 02:08 AM
Pro Rider

as for the noise, i noticed that on mine too, I checked all the bolts that hold the panels on and a couple were very loose. Helped the noise a lot, some I even had to use washers on. not sure if that is a big help or not?

Old 07-17-2003, 10:36 PM
Pro Rider

If you are asking about the tapping noise that seems to be related to throttle position, it's a compression release valve. A normal sound for that engine, nothing is wrong with it. Sounded a lot like a rod bearing knocking when I first heard it, as it goes away at low engine speed.

It gets quieter with age - my 02 500i just turned 600 miles, and I find that the shifter has loosened up, shifts easier and a lot quieter, the compression valve isn't nearly as noisy, and midrange power is definitely better. Low end grunt is the same, which is to say very good, and the engine still runs out of breath at high rpm's.

Trending Topics

Old 07-17-2003, 11:16 PM
Trailblazer

THANKS JOHNO, I BELIEVE WE ARE TALKING ABOUT THE SAME THING. THE ENGINE SOUNDS FINE @ IDLE AND THUR 2ND GEAR THEN IT SOUNDS LIKE THE PISTON IS TAPPING THE THE HEAD ONLY UNDER LOAD AND ABOVE 2ND GEAR. BUT ANYTIME YOU ARE ACELERATING. I WAS THINKING ABOUT TAKING IT TO A LOCAL DEALER TO HAVE THEM TAKE IT FOR A SPIN. MY ISSUE IS MY LOCAL DEALER WAS $700.00 HIGHER THAN IN AUSTIN. SO IT WAS WORTH THE TRIP. BUT THE FIRST THING THEY WANTED TO ASK WAS WHERE IT WAS BOUGHT. INSTANT ATTITUDE. BUT THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT.

BIG CAT DADDY

Old 07-17-2003, 11:22 PM
Pro Rider

Mine has sounded like that since day one. The noise has not increased. Kinda reminds me of a little diesel under load lol.

Old 07-18-2003, 12:17 AM
Trailblazer

EXACTLY!!!! JUST DOESN'T SOUND LIKE A FINELY TUNE JAP ENGINE. IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. I HOPE YALL DON'T MIND ME BEING POLITCALLY INCORRECT . THANKS FOR THE INPUT . I GUESS IT'S NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT. I'LL JUST BREAK IT IN AND SEE WHAT THEY SAY THEN.

BIG CAT DADDY