Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Any of you switched from Honda to Arctic Cat?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2003, 01:33 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any of you switched from Honda to Arctic Cat?

I've always been a die hard Honda fan, but the older I get, the more I notice the rough ride. I really like the idea of IRS, but the Honda Rincon just isn't what I'm looking for. I need something a bit more utility oriented. I keep coming back to Arctic Cat, especially now that they're updating their machines with a digital display, handle bar mounted 2wd/4wd selector switch, 2" receiver hitch, etc. I believe for the most part Arctic Cat is just as durable as any other machine, so that's not a concern, especially now that they're offering a two year warranty, but I am concerned about Arctic Cats mud/water protection. I've ridden with a few Cats over the years, and it seems the riders feet/lower legs get wet fairly easy. Any of you come up with a way to cure this? I'm also wondering if Arctic Cat sells fender extensions? If and when I buy, I'll probably go with a 500, but I'm undecided about an automatic or a manual shift. I'm still not 100% sold on belt driven auto's, plus it seems the automatic Cats I've been around have been fairly noisy. Anyway, I guess I'm looking for a little encouragement from any one who has switched from another brand, especially Honda, to Arctic Cat. Tell me what you like and dislike. Please be honest and no brand bashing.

Old 08-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Didn't really switch. The last quad we bought was in 89 and was a honda. When I bought my AC in 1998, I pretty much bought it under the idea that it looked like a Honda with more features. I was pretty much right. Never had any trouble out of it and it was put together solid. Only think I could find on it that was un-honda-like is the way the plastic fits together. Rather than being riveted, the side panels just interlatch and they do tend to rattle a bit. Thats getting pretty picky though.

I would buy the AC over the honda though still, just for the fact that I think its built very tough and has more features, at least the ones I want. I never thought the 450 stacked up to the AC500 back when both were flagships, and I really didn't think the Rubicon had any advantage over the 500i. And now of course, the same hold true for me with the Rincon and AC650. While I'm at it, I'll take a DVX over a 400ex.

In the smaller quads, I would rather have the rancher all day over the AC300. I take the 400i over the Rancher 400 though.

Old 08-10-2003, 12:55 PM
Pro Rider

You'll be hard-pressed to find a machine with a smoother ride than an AC with an ACT suspension. If the IRS seems a bit stiffer than you want, test ride an ACT.

Yes, AC does sell fender extensions. It would also be easy to fabricate something that goes on the bottom of the footwell, but I don't recall getting much mud/water from under there. Most of it comes from outside the fender, which the guards would correct.

The Cat's tranny is noisy. I mean really noisy, but man is it bulletproof. I've been through water over the headlights, and have never experienced any slippage, and didn't have any water come out of the drain when I checked it. I only wish my upcoming 650 had the AC tranny instead of the Kawi. I'm sure the Kawi will be quieter, though. At least with the 500, you'll have the choice. I think you can't go wrong either way.

Old 08-10-2003, 01:55 PM
Trailblazer

I've owned five Hondas before I made the switch to AC. My last one is still running strong today. I wanted something that had more ground clearance, more power, and a manual trans.

I've been pretty happy with my 500i so far. The ride is much smoother, it goes over things my Honda would get hung up on, and seems so far to be built pretty solid.

The splash protection is pretty poor. I bought the fender extensions, but I haven't put them on yet. The rear mechanical foot brake is a POS. Mine would not hold on even a moderate grade, and it made a clicking noise that sounded like a cv joint was going out. I removed it. The preload adjusting collars on the shocks are made of a cheap cast aluminum. They are hard to turn and will break easily. I set mine where I wanted them and left them there.

The real test will be this November when I go elk hunting for a week. My buddy will have his TRX 300, so we will be able to see if it performs as well as the Honda's have over the years.

Old 08-10-2003, 02:02 PM
Pro Rider

Just a note: My rear footbrake is a joke as well, but the '04's have gone hydrolic on the rear foot brake. It is a separate hydrolic system from the other calipers and has its own fluid reservior. It should have alot more grab than the old one.

Old 08-10-2003, 10:02 PM
Range Rover

I bought a Honda first 300, But wanted bigger & better so Got a 500 Cat. It did ride a lot better & would go though deeper mud. The negatives hard steering, a lot of body roll in turns, and did not handle generaly as well as the Honda. Got rid of it when the frame broke. Still got the Honda. Oh of all the bad talk on Cats heel-toe shifter ,they must not of ever got one stuck in the mud. Just try to get your foot under just a toe shifter. Had to dig a place in mud more than once with the Honda I loved it, so even got one on the Honda now.

Old 08-10-2003, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

I owned nothing but Honda's before buying my Cat. The reason I switched was for the IRS and ground clearance. I didn't know if these two things would make that big of a difference before I bought it but thought I would try em. Man what a difference, there is absolutely no replacement for either, in my opinion they make every aspect of riding better. I haven't noticed a lot of body roll or hard steering with mine and I ride it pretty darn hard. Honda does make a great machine but I think Cat gives you the best of both worlds-great at work and at play. I will agree alcoff95-the splash protection is not the best(this doesn't bother me I'm still pretty young and very dumb hehe) and the rear foot break just sucks but other than those two things I absolutely love my Cat and unless something terribly wrong happens in the future I will be replacing this one with another(fingers crossed it will be a manual 650).[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Hope this helps

Old 08-11-2003, 12:07 AM
Range Rover

Dirteater my Cat was one of the first out. And the IRS models have mutch stiffer springs than the swing arm models. Believe it or not though even the new swing arm models have a softer ride than the IRS models. Try riding em back to back I think you will see what I mean. The old ones did steer like a tank.

Old 08-11-2003, 12:22 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The steering was my bigget complaint on the older AC's. The newer ones are much better though. As far as ride, I haven't drove my brother in laws 500i enough to tell. The old ACT500 rode good, but nowhere near as good as the Grizzly.

Old 08-12-2003, 11:25 PM
Pro Rider

My family has owned nothing but Foremans.One of the reasons I went with a AC was the price tag.Hondas just seem way over priced. I have had my cat for 1 1/2 with over 2000 miles on it and there is no other machine I would rather own.I have ridden just about every other model out there and imo there is nothing that compares.

Quick Reply: Any of you switched from Honda to Arctic Cat?