Honda Discussions about Honda ATVs.

2017 Recon ES no start

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2024, 08:17 PM
Trailblazer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default 2017 Recon ES no start

I just picked up this quad. It will shift through the gears with the buttons, which means the shift motor is fine. But I have no neutral light, so no start and no spark when I jump the solenoid. I assume the neutral light is also the ground for the CDI? Anyone familiar with this system or have a wiring diagram? I have never own

ed an electric shift atv before.

Old 06-24-2024, 03:04 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 320 Likes on 313 Posts

On manual versions there is nothing to tell which gear it is in except neutral and reverse lights, not sure about ES. If it doesn't have a gear indicator on the display, it will have two simple switches that earth out the neutral and reverse wires when in those gears. Honda's favoured wiring colours for neutral are pale green, or pale green/red. Check engine cases, particularly low down at the back, for a wire of this colour, it has probably come off the switch (bullet connector fixing). Wire also goes through a diode in the battery box, I guess a faulty diode is possible.

The following users liked this post:
pastorjeep (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 08:37 AM
Trailblazer

I did a little digging last night after I got the machine home. The light green seems to go through the diode and to the ecu, cdi, and shift angler sensor. I think it is supposed to provide a ground signal but right now my meter shows open circuit. I also checked the black/white and red/yellow for 12v to the cdi and starter solenoid and have nothing. After work today I will stare at the wiring diagram a while and figure out how to trouble shoot. It may be a ecu, but I can't figure out what provides the ground signal for the light green. Also on this model the back of the engine only seems to have reverse wire, the neutral seems to be in the angle sensor with the shift motor?

Old 06-24-2024, 07:27 PM
Pro Rider
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts
pastorjeep (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 07:28 PM
Pro Rider
Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Number 13 is gear switch but I cant remember if neutral is here also I dont have my manual here but I do think so. be light green with red stripe

pastorjeep (06-24-2024)
Old 06-24-2024, 08:49 PM
Trailblazer

Interesting, I pulled the wire off and it was brown? I grounded it and didn't get neutral light. I also do not have power at the cdi.

Old 06-24-2024, 11:09 PM
Trailblazer

Ok, I did some more digging and the neutral switch is behind the stator cover. So the whole side case has to come off to replace it. How can I test it first before doing all that work? I am thinking I might have a bad ecu because I don't have any power to the cdi. i tried grounding the light green wire from the neutral switch but it didn't do anything. Still no neutral light and starter solenoid not working.

Old 06-25-2024, 03:41 AM
Elite Pro Rider
Received 320 Likes on 313 Posts

If you earthed that pale green and it still didn't fetch the neutral light on, that wire is broken somewhere, check it for continuity at the diode, not sure which side of diode it goes to.

The following 2 users liked this post by merryman:
papa hogg scoot (06-25-2024), pastorjeep (06-25-2024)
Old 06-25-2024, 10:29 AM
Trailblazer
Default Neutral switch test

Originally Posted by merryman
If you earthed that pale green and it still didn't fetch the neutral light on, that wire is broken somewhere, check it for continuity at the diode, not sure which side of diode it goes to.
I think I tested the wrong side of the wire. It is very difficult to reach with the plastic on. I also just learned that the B/R wire on the cdi is not 12v but is supposed to get a pulse signal from the generator. I am going to confirm that the black wire on the neutral light is 12v key on and then start tracing the light green and try to run it to earth.

Old 06-25-2024, 08:54 PM
Trailblazer

Alright guys, just wanted to say thanks for the help. I had a little learning curve on this thing but you steered me in the right direction. One I grounded the the right side of the light green the neutral light came on and it ws cranking over and had spark. Turned on the fuel and after 2 years of sitting it fired right up! Now to order a neutral switch and the fun of removing the stator cover. I have a 1994 Fourtrax 300 4x4 that is having a weird issue. I am going to make another post on it and hope you chime in.

Quick Reply: 2017 Recon ES no start