Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

I've narrowed my choice for 1st 4 wheeler down to two: AC 400 4x4 auto and Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 auto

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2003, 09:03 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I've narrowed my choice for 1st 4 wheeler down to two: AC 400 4x4 auto and Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 auto

After starting out with a list of about 7 different 4 wheelers, I have narrowed my list down to a final 2. The Arctic Cat 400 4x4 automatic, and the Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 automatic. The key features I wanted were: automatic tranny (obviously), full floor boards, hitch standard, power outlet, gauges, low range 4x4, and last but not least, a locking differential. I also needed to stay as close to $5000 as possible. That unfortunately eliminated a couple of great bikes right away, but oh well.

Now, my question for you all is, is there anything that you know of that should be a reason for me to pick one of these two over the other? I know which ever forum I post this in, I will hear that "this one is better than the other one because..." and that's totally understandable. That's why I'm also going to post this in the Suzuki forum as well. Someone that spends most of their time in one of these forums might not see this post and have a perfect example or piece of info that I'm looking for. Also, if any of you should happen to know a dealer within an hour or two from the north east Ohio area that may have a great price on either of these two bikes, could you fill me in please???? [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Thanks in advance for any input on this. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 08-20-2003, 09:54 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default I've narrowed my choice for 1st 4 wheeler down to two: AC 400 4x4 auto and Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 auto

I narrowed mine down to the same machines. I chose the Cat because the incredible suspension. I have had it for two weeks now and I am really happy w/ my choice. That thing really goes through the mud with that ground clearance. Good luck!

Old 08-20-2003, 10:11 PM
Weekend Warrior

Do you mind if I ask what you paid for yours, both just the bike, and then out the door cost? I have been looking all over for pricing on the Arctic Cats, but I can't find it anywhere. And I hate their website! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-mad.gif[/img] But maybe it's just me. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-confused.gif[/img]

Old 08-20-2003, 10:48 PM
Trailblazer

Isn't deciding on a new quad so much fun? I think you are going about this decision the right way by finding out as much info as possible(very smart on your part). I was faced with the same situation about 1 1/2 months ago and decided on the Cat. My reasons were I wanted IRS,hi/lo range, 2x & 4x and with the huge ground clearance and suspension travel I couldn't say no. Now that I have a quad with IRS I don't think I'll ever buy another quad without it unless it is a sport quad, so I would suggest the AC 400i auto, but I'm sure the ACT quads are great as well.

I don't know if you know this or not but the Eiger and the AC 400's have the same motor just like the Vinson's and the AC 500's. So as far as the reliability in the engine dept. they should be the same. Someone will correct me if I'm wrong but I know the '03 AC's do not have a diff. locker and I don't think the '04's do either with the exception of the new 650. With that said the Eiger doesn't have the IRS,GC, or the amount of suspension travel that the AC(as far as the 400i is concerned) has and these things make a huge difference in my opinion. Instead of a diff. locker the AC's have a torque sensing front end. This design shifts power to the wheel or wheels that need it. I have never had a problem with one wheel being in the air and not being able to make it up a hill or any other obstacle. When stuck in the mud or sand in a river or whatever if the diffo doesn't shift the power to both front wheels by itself you just apply the brake slightly and it will then do so. It is actually a very good set up in my mind. If you plan on doing alot of mudding and technical riding I think the 400i would be your best choice. The IRS offers more GC and the suspension will keep all four on the ground more often(atleast in my riding experience). If this quad will be mostly for trail riding then the other suspension setup may be better. I have read posts that say that the ACT bikes corner better at high speeds, I don't know if this is true or not but just thought I'd let you know.

I don't know how close you are to a dealer but it would probably help you out a little if you could test ride each one of your choices. It will probably only be in the parking lot but atleast you'll have some idea of how different each one feels. Hope this helps and let us know what you get.

Old 08-20-2003, 11:00 PM
Weekend Warrior

I paid 4700 before taxes and 5070 after for a 2003.

Old 08-21-2003, 10:27 AM
cop
Pro Rider

Seriously, If you are looking for primarily a work or pure utility machine go with the cat. If you want a quad for some work but more play then the Eiger is for you. The Eiger flat out smokes the Cat on trails and faster riding, The Cat leads the Eiger in towing and deep mud. The Eiger is more of a sport Utility and the Cat is All utility. I hope this helps. Good luck on your choice.

Old 08-21-2003, 11:33 AM
Range Rover

Neither one has a locking front end. Like rangerover said the the Eiger is faster handles better. Also they both have a torque sensing front ends witch Suzuki pioneered.. And as far as going though mud --TIRES is what makes the biggest differance. If you go to the mudd races it is usually rider skill & tires that win. Ground clearance By itself doesn't make it a better machine. I would say the suzuki is the better overall one. But you need to RIDE them both and that should tell you witch one you like. They go for $4395 [Suzuki] plus tax out the door here, no shipping,no set up. They are both good like i said but I still woud go with Suzy.

Old 08-22-2003, 02:31 AM
Range Rover

Cats have a 2 year warranty now along with 3.9 for 48 months if you are going to finance the machine. They also have more to offer than the suzuki, read the brochures and look at the numbers and the cat is by far the best machine.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:49 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey PuttPutt, is that price you said for the Suzuki for a 4x4 w/auto? Or is that a manual. Either way, can you give me the name and location of the place you're talking about? It may be a little too far for me though.

Old 08-22-2003, 10:52 AM
Weekend Warrior

Nevermind Puttputt. I just looked on Yahoo and it's about 11 hours away from me. Thanks though. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Quick Reply: I've narrowed my choice for 1st 4 wheeler down to two: AC 400 4x4 auto and Suzuki Eiger 400 4x4 auto