Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

03 400 weak reverse

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2005, 10:25 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 03 400 weak reverse

I got stuck the first day I had my 03 400i. I was in the middle of a bog and sinking quickly. I had it in low range and reverse worked perfectly...Is it because it's an automatic? I'd have yours checked. Did you try reverse over-ride?

Old 07-07-2005, 12:15 PM
Weekend Warrior

Sorry I cant help. I know the manual 400 have a weak reverse. I wanted a manual shift 400 but didn't want the reverse problem. I had an 03 400 auto that I sold, It has the reverse override that works great and backed me out of everyhole I got into. I just bought the 05 auto 400 and the reverse works the same as the 03. Basically the auto have a low reverse and the manual 400 have the high reverse. I hope suzuki or AC will address this problem with a kit or fix in the future! Good luck!!

Old 07-07-2005, 03:02 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Originally posted by: Chevynut
Know what you mean about the weak reverse, it would have come in handy several times (like when I was stuck in the middle of a mud hole with no way out but the one I came from). However I figured out how to do this, I have now modified my 03' 400 into a 03' 400 with LOW RANGE REVERSE. My dealer told me that 02 was the last year they had the sub-transmission in the 400, but you could still get the 500 to current date with the same transmission. So from 03-current you have HI-RANGE reverse only. Well fixed that and it works, can play and move my trailer around the yard with NO PROBLEM (well other than the water/mud hole that is over the gas tank). The low range reverse is the same gear ratio as the low range forward 1st gear, but as long as it gets me out of the holes I like it!! And I am running 27" 589s for tires.
Welcome Chevynut! Where in MN are ya from?

Old 07-08-2005, 12:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

As Redcat400 stated the Autos have low reverse and manual have high reverse. I didn't want to deal with automatics or independents, so I bought the basic machine to do what I wanted. Something to work around the house and play (more play of course). I do not have any "reverse over-ride" So I did some custom fabrication and got what I needed. It was not easy alot of research and development, trial and error and I have some talented friends, who happen to be machinest. Neither Arctic Cat or Suzuki will change the way they are doing things, and most likely will not make this as an aftermarket product and not sure if any other aftermarket company will do what I did, but I can't be the only one out there willing to do this, or am I? Maybe I should start making them and selling them as an aftermarket part myself, the only problem with that would be, is the demand worth the time and money, and are people willing to or able to tear their machine apart and put it back together.

I am in the Minneapolis area

Old 07-10-2005, 01:37 PM
Range Rover

i have an 03 400 auto with independent rear and have never had a problem with my reverse. been in some nasty stuff plenty of times and all i needed to do was hit the override button and it had plenty of power. even with the winch hooked to another quad and having to pull it out of a ravine was no problem. no idea what you guys are running into.

Old 07-10-2005, 08:24 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Chevynut
As Redcat400 stated the Autos have low reverse and manual have high reverse. I didn't want to deal with automatics or independents, so I bought the basic machine to do what I wanted. Something to work around the house and play (more play of course). I do not have any "reverse over-ride" So I did some custom fabrication and got what I needed. It was not easy alot of research and development, trial and error and I have some talented friends, who happen to be machinest. Neither Arctic Cat or Suzuki will change the way they are doing things, and most likely will not make this as an aftermarket product and not sure if any other aftermarket company will do what I did, but I can't be the only one out there willing to do this, or am I? Maybe I should start making them and selling them as an aftermarket part myself, the only problem with that would be, is the demand worth the time and money, and are people willing to or able to tear their machine apart and put it back together.

I am in the Minneapolis area
So I take you had some different gears custom made for your reverse. Reverse should always be as low as you lowest gear. This high range reverse is just plain stupid and to have not changed it is not taking care of the customer.

Old 07-15-2005, 01:41 AM
Weekend Warrior

So the 05 and 06 400 manuals have the same problem or not??? i hope not because my dad and i are dying for a new ac 400 because our 01 400 is behind on ground clearance and many other specs! we also want a manual because we hate belts

Old 07-15-2005, 04:15 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Originally posted by: arcticcatdvx
So the 05 and 06 400 manuals have the same problem or not??? i hope not because my dad and i are dying for a new ac 400 because our 01 400 is behind on ground clearance and many other specs! we also want a manual because we hate belts
Yes they have the high range reverse and it's stupid.

Old 07-15-2005, 11:41 PM
Trailblazer

Originally posted by: arcticcatdvx
Maybe you and your dad should give the auto's another look . I was the same as you when I bought my 05 400 manual , I didn't want anything to do with a belt . My dealer tryed to sway me to an auto but I wouldn't hear of it . I wanted a manual tranny period ...
Well about 2 months after I bought my Cat a friend of mine bought an 05 400 Cat aswell except he listened to the dealer and got the auto . Since then we have rode together almost every weekend for about ten months now , through the nastiest terrain that we can find and his "belt" drive auto has not given him a single problem . Believe me , we are tough on these machines , we ride in rack deep water on a regular basis , go boulder crawling up creek beds , pulled/dragged things that are way hevier than the max tow weight and I actually think that overall the auto has the advantage except for maybe pulling extremly heavy loads , although as I said he has pulled upwards of 2000lbs with no belt trouble . The Cat's belt drive is a better design than most and it is completely sealed so deep water is no problem . I am now looking to trade my manual in on a auto . The auto does everything that my manual tranny does and somethings better , like deep snow , sand and steep loose hill climbs . and the biggest reason I want the auto is it is much more relaxing and enjoyable to ride .

Old 07-21-2005, 04:53 PM
Weekend Warrior

thanks for the advise

Quick Reply: 03 400 weak reverse