Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Claws have been mounted

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2000, 02:07 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got the Claws mounted today, and I must say they have made a world of difference. Obviously, they ride rougher, but that was with a lot of air in them. I adjusted everything after I rode it for about 15 minutes, and they ride quite a bit better. Not quite as choppy. Steering was the biggest improvement. The 27x9.75" Bi Claws steer twice as good as the 495's, and possibly even better than 25x10 titan 489's. Very light steering now. I can also say that even the Tri-claws fit the stock 6.5" AC rims fine. Not a whole lot of overhang at all, in fact, I didn't notice any real difference from the ones at the dealer mounted on ITP 7" steel. The only thing that might ever be an issue is that you might put wheel spacers on the rear. I noticed that the swingaxle can push the ***** on the side of the tire against the muffler. I saw where it had rubbed after I put the rear in some odd angles that leaned the axle hard.

I really see no need to buy rims unless you just wanted to have another set for smaller tires. When I got them back from mounting, they had around 9lbs. of air in them. The Bi-claws measured in at 26.5" tall and the Tri-Claws were around 27.5- 28". The difference worried me about driveline problems so I adjusted them. With around 5lbs. of air, the Tri-claws moved down to around 26.75", and with 5.5lbs. the Bi-claws stayed at 26.5". Thats close enough, and the ride improve quite a bit.

A major traction gain was noticed in the small time that I rode them. I could slowly crawl up loose stuff that I used to slip in. I think if I had wider rims on the back, I would have a little more tire width touching the ground as well though, and the Tri's wouldn't have been as tall.

Overall gains:
Ground Clearance- front skid to ground- 11.5" (up about an inch) Rear axle to ground 12.25" (Up and inch and a quarter) Rear gear housing to ground 9" (Up an inch and a quarter, 9.5 with 9lbs. of air in the tires). It also raised the a-arm clearance quite a bit too. Not much different at all than the front skid.

Measured width- Bi-Claw 9", Tri-claw 11" (would be more with wider rims probably)

I could notice a small power loss as well. Not as much pull in 3rd from a slow start. Takes a little more to crawl in 1st high too. Noticed this on a short steep section where throttle control is key. Dropped it into low and no problem at all.

Speedometer dropped about 4 miles an hour due to the taller size as well. It doesn't wind out as quick anymore. I got it up to 53mph on a stretch that I normally hit 57 on. It will still wind out about the same speed but take longer to get it there. I figure top speed is close the same after it winds out because the tire size will effect the speedometer reading.

Overall am I pleased? You're dang right I am. The traction is improved by vast measures, the steering is something that I haven't experienced yet as well. Unbelievable difference there. Clearance gains were great (1"- 1.25" in different places), and the looks are just beastly. $397 total investment, plus $20 to get them mounted and kept the stock rims. These things are thick too. I don't expect any flats ever unless I just run over a nail. The ride is firmer of course, but I expected that.

All and all, I would reccomend this tire combo to anyone. It turns the AC into a Whole Different Animal!

Old 06-04-2000, 12:43 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

First ride test confirms that the power is effected pretty big. The quad will not take hills in 3rd gear near as good, and in situations where 2nd is enough, it takes a lot more to turn. (we aren't talking about flat trail riding here)

Slow crawling in 1st high takes a lot more throttle, though 1st low has no effect really. The low range pulls easy. I got the front down in a foot deep rut today that is basically just a big step. Put it in reverse and the engine bogged and wouldn't turn the tires to get back over. I should have tested reverse in low range here just for the sake of it, but I wasn't thinking about it at the time. Instead, I just pulled forward a few inches and got a little momentum going backward and popped it back out of the rut. With the tires up against the side from a standstill though, it wouldn't pull out. I could have at least spun smaller tires in this same situation.

This leads me to believe that aftermarket performance parts lie in the future. Not that its a need, just that its available, and I might want it. These tires are awesome though.

Traction is so much better than stock. I climbed a lot of stuff today that they just dug through. The stockers would have made it up of course, but they would have been spinning a lot going up. These things leave a big track in the ground that looks like a tractor had gone through. The ride isnt too bad at all with the lower pressures now. Still bumpier at slow speeds on asphalt, but that is to be expected. My AC had the fan coming on all day long today. Tomorrow, I'm going to have to take the grill off the radiator and spray out that crap with a pressure washer. I looked at it and it is packed with stuff.

Old 06-05-2000, 02:29 AM
Pro Rider

Andy:
Thanks for the in-depth report on the new set-up, been anxious to hear what you think. As I mentioned earlier, I had my first flat over the Memorial Day weekend. To date, the slime has worked great, so by the sounds of things, I'll probably wait a while till I've got enough money to add the extra performance parts needed to turn the larger meats. I do a lot of "make your own trail" type riding up around my elk camp, and up at our property, either making my own trails, or following various game trails. As a result, low gear is usually always required, and sometimes takes a bit of throttle to get the job done. Sounds like I might be in trouble if I went with bigger tires without a performance kit.

Again, I appreciate the report on the tires, you've answered many of my previous concerns. Also glad to hear about the clearance gains. Aside from better traction, that's probably the best part about the new tires.

Mike

Old 06-05-2000, 12:46 PM
Range Rover

Andy,
I was wondering how much a diffrence in power it made. I see it made a big one, Glad I went with the buggs. You might wana look into teh HL Hp kit now, it should bring you back almost to where it was.

have fun with your new toys

Old 06-05-2000, 12:46 PM
Range Rover

Andy,
I was wondering how much a diffrence in power it made. I see it made a big one, Glad I went with the buggs. You might wana look into the HL HP kit now, it should bring you back almost to where it was.

have fun with your new toys

Old 06-06-2000, 01:00 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

It made a noticable difference to me. I think the tires make a difference on any quad, its just that people aren't too quick to admit it for fear of somebody telling them that they shouldn't have or something. Vampires weigh more than mine (not much I don't imagine), and the 28" vampires would be extremely hard to turn unless you were on flat ground. I've picked them up and they are a lot heavier than the Claws are. I've picked up Bugs too and they are lighter, though still a good bit more than stock. Highlifter told me that Maxxis makes the Outlaw for them with the same rubber compound found in the mudbugs. Gateway is just their partner in the deal. I would say that the Outlaws would be much easier to turn than the Vampire 28".

The places that I noticed it were in slow crawling hillclimbs in first. Mainly, places where it was too steep and I had to back down. The reason I noticed it was because it took more power to crawl slowly in high and throttle control was harder. Its noticeable in other places, but not near as much and nothing that you would really call annoying by any means. I also stated that I had to shift from 3rd to 2nd on this one hill. It was a washout road and was fairly steep and I didn't have enough speed starting into it. The stockers would have eventually wound out and gone up easier though, so I did notice it there.

Seeing that the power drop is noticable, but not major significant, I figure if the HP kit is any good at all, it should put it back fairly close to stock, though I don't think that bolt on parts are going to make it pull like it would with lightweight 489's or anything. Also, the compact IDS2 muffler probably won't touch the tires in the uneven rocks like the fat stock muffler does. You really have to squat it sideways to get this to happen, but it does happen.

Old 06-06-2000, 10:42 PM
Pro Rider

Nothing is better to watch than someone go up a hill that they could never make it up anyhow, but like to see how the limited slip works with the claws and come to a dead stop at the highest possible point. With the tires your coming out with a rough ride, noticeable power loss, and more traction. The spikes give em a nice look to exept for when the muffler eats em up.

Old 06-07-2000, 02:22 PM
Weekend Warrior

Andy,

Just a few questions for you. You said you notice a big difference in steering ease which I found surprising, what do you attribute this to since the tires are MORE aggressive I would expect the opposite. The 2000's already steer light years easier than the 98's with 489's and easier yet than the 99's with 495's. Next what made you choose the claws over the say the Buggs which I am seriously looking at. Vamps are a little to "hardcore" for me because although I like the mud I still to a lot of hardpack trail riding. I wonder if the 27 Buggs would have a more or less significant effect in power loss in the auto. My initial response is that it would be less because of the clutch backshifting and compensating for the increased load but I'm not convinced it is 100% efficient at doing this. Sometimes there is nothing like being able to grab another gear. Oh yeah also are the claws heavier or lighter than the Titan 489's.

Thump
2000 500 AC Auto

Old 06-08-2000, 01:14 AM
Pro Rider

Thump,

The reason the Bi-Claws steer easyier is beacause of 2 reasons.
1.) they are narrower than the 495s
2.) cause there is less rubber from the grips touching the ground

About the weight, I KNOW the 27" Claws are heavier than 489s, But simulare sized 589s might weight less or more than the claws.

Old 06-08-2000, 01:51 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

The Claws are definitely heavier than 489's. Even the 25" claws are going to be heavier. This is a much larger tire than a 489 or even a 495. I didn't get Mud Bugs because they didn't do anything for me. They are a great tire, but I put them in the same class as Mudrunners and Blackwaters. A good mud tire that rides well and is very good on hard surfaces, at least for that type of tire. The Vamps, Claws, and Outlaws are in the next class. Large lug class. (I havent seen a 589 to see what the lugs on it look like yet so I don't have anything to go on there) These three tires all have at least 1 1/4" lugs and a very aggressive tread pattern. That was what I was looking for. Turned out, it was Claws or Vamps and I chose the Claws because they have more touching in the center and would ride better. Don't get me wrong, mud bugs are a great tire, but just not the lug pattern that I wanted.

They do steer a lot better than the 495's. Much easier to turn. They are a narrower tire, plus, the lug space that touches the ground up front is narrower. When we first were riding, I still had like 9 lbs. of air in the fronts because I had just got them back from being mounted. They did steer better than 489's then, but with 5 lbs. I don't think they do. Why would you think 489's on a 98 model would steer any worse than a 2000 with the same tire. They didn't change anything in the steering I don't think. Now 97 models are a whole different ballpark. The 98 454 with 489's steers excellent.

As far as mud bugs sapping power, I would figure it to take away some, but not as much as the heavier tires. If you go 27" with anything, it should take away something from it. It is a larger diameter to turn which is harder. Put on some 24" and it will be easier. Same effect there. I would think that Mud Bugs and Mudrunners would be the best all around dual purpose 27" tire available. I just wanted the nasy looking Claws.

Quick Reply: Claws have been mounted