Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What atv parts are AC & what is suzuki?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2003, 12:41 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What atv parts are AC & what is suzuki?

On the 03 400i model what parts are arctic cat? I know the motor is suzuki but is the carb, exhaust, axles made by AC? Does the 03 AC 400i have the 375 Ac motor? Just wanting to know if Ac parts and suzuki parts a interchangable!

Thanks again!!

Old 09-15-2003, 11:47 PM
Pro Rider

I believe that pretty much just the engine is Suzuki. Maybe also the speedo, but I think that is from an independent supplier. I believe the tranny is manufactured by Suzuki, but to AC specs and design. AC has much experience with CVT's through their snowmobile designs. Suzuki makes the snowmobile engines to AC specs and design, too, so they are not completely Suzuki.

I'm not sure if there are other Zuki parts, but the suspension and chassis are 100% Cat.

On the 650, the tranny and engine are Kawasaki design and manufacture. Also, the digital instrument pod comes from Kawi (It might be the design of a supplier, however.) The 4wd/2wd electric shift is also Kawi design, and is on the 400 as well. I'd also bet that the locking front diff control and maybe even the diff itself might also be a Kawi part, or maybe just the internal mechanism. I havn't seen it yet, so it is hard to say.

Most of this is an educated guess. I'm not sure there's any way to know for sure on some of it, because they wouldn't care for anyone to know.

Old 09-17-2003, 12:01 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too will need to wait till I get my Cat/kawie 650 so I can check out the front-dif.
The 1st sneek photos I saw on the Cat 650 showed the same front-dif lever on the left handlebar, just like it is on the Prairie 650. I really like the front-dif locker lever being there instead of on the right handlebar & after I get my Cat 650 & if it is the Kawie front-dif-locker, then I am going to see what it will take to have my Cat 650 locker to engage like it was on my Prairie 650.

Old 09-29-2003, 08:54 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: bfb650b2
I too will need to wait till I get my Cat/kawie 650 so I can check out the front-dif.
The 1st sneek photos I saw on the Cat 650 showed the same front-dif lever on the left handlebar, just like it is on the Prairie 650. I really like the front-dif locker lever being there instead of on the right handlebar & after I get my Cat 650 & if it is the Kawie front-dif-locker, then I am going to see what it will take to have my Cat 650 locker to engage like it was on my Prairie 650.
The regular 650 uses a flip over lever to lock/unlock the diff. Was the Prairie locker variable as you squeezed the lever? I think the left lever would be easier, since the right side is already busy with the throttle.....

Old 09-29-2003, 09:29 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wires;
I forgot that the Cats use a one lever brake for all the brakes, even though I have had Cats in the past. On my Prairie 650, the Front-dif loc was variable & located along with the rear brake lever & was very easy to use, but you had to be in 4wd. The more you pulled the lever to the grip, the more dif-loc you got & when you released the lever by taking your finger off of it, then the dif-loc was disengage. Not once did I not like the set-up, it worked great. This frt dif-loc lever is painted yellow & mounts slightly above the brake lever but is never in the way but very handy when needed, as it is a one-finger operation to use.
This won't work on the Cat 650 & I can see why Cat has the locker as either as a full-time on dif-loc or off, being the brake lever is the only brake lever to control the front & rear brakes. With the Cat 650, you will have to be stopped before you can use the frt.dif-loc but that shouldn't be a problem.
From what I have read, Cat still fails in the right foot rear brake pedal for satisflying braking, nothing new here, as both my 454/500 cats rear foot brake was never used because it didn't work worth nothing.
I was thinking I could change the Cat 650 locker over to the Kawie lever set-up but the more I see what would be involved & the master cylinder is there too on the left lever Cat, I will just leave it alone. Anyway, very seldom did I ever use the Frt dif-loc, maybe a total of 6 times over a total of 2500 miles but it sure was great to have, as those 6 times got me & the Prairie 650 out of a bad fix.

Old 09-29-2003, 10:00 PM
Pro Rider

bfb650b2,

Thanks for the info. I saw the lever on the Prairie at the dealership, and my first impressions was it was KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid), and I thought it would work great. My buddy has a '03 Grizzley, and I find that convoluted switches, and covers and buttons a pain in the *** to use. You can't just use it without staring at the buttons for a bit to see if it's in 4wd, or 2wd or 4-locker.

I did think the locker on the 650 would be sweet too, but you do need the right hand to do it. I guess if you have to stop, then it isn't a biggie....