Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What do you carry

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2000, 07:44 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it looks like I will be moving to the Alabama Gulf Coast in the next few mths to take a new job.
Their are many new place I will get to ride there, their are not only three main rivers but also miles and miles of swamps, and Moblie bay and the gulf.
Now to the point, Realizing that I will be around so much water I decided to add a snorkel to the big cat, just in case it goes under, many of the places are in remote areas, so I was wondering what all do you guys carry on your Quads for emergencys, and self recovery. I have many things but I'm wondering If their might be somthimg im forgetting.

thanks

Old 06-04-2000, 09:48 PM
Pro Rider

Before my it died on me I kept a 12v air pump on my front rack so I could air my tires back up if I had a slow air leak while riding. I just bought a Slime kit(300 psi pump 12 volt, 2 bottles of slime, valve core tools, and leather case for 20 bucks at Sam's Club) to replace it today.

I also carry a tire plug kit with 6+ plugs for those holes that are to big for Slime.
Extra oil. ( I REALY could have used this when I forgot to tighen my oil fill cap and oil ended up shoting at me)

Rachet strap(ever have to seat a bead on the trail? this helps).

Screw drivers(used also for the getting the tire back in the rim).

Old 06-05-2000, 01:59 AM
Pro Rider

Big Cat:
You asked for it, so here goes:
Winch, ****** block (9,000 lbs. rating), 100' extra 3/16" 7x19 aircraft cable to match winch cable with double hooks for extra long ****** pulls, 30' strap w/loops, 20' strap w/loops, 6' strap w/loops, 15' 3/8" choker cable w/hook and loop, 2-3/4" clevis's, 1-3/4" twisted clevis (all three rated at 12,000 lbs.), axe, first aid kit, gloves. With the exception of the winch, all of the above is in the mortar box mounted on the front rack.

On the back rack, we've got a full sized shovel which I cut the handle short enough to fit the rack but still long enough to be useful and then put on a plastic loop handle like on a garden fork. Also on the back rack is a 15" deep rear U-shaped rack bag from atvstuff.com containing the following:
Extra clothes for extreme conditions, extra boots, gloves, carharts (jacket, insulated coat, bibs, insulated bibs), sleeping bag, lights, food, water, occasionally a tent, camera, ammunition for both guns in the bag, and guns on me, and soon to be a new air compressor. Extra tools are in the tiny tool box underneath, and oversized items in the front box.

Sometimes I feel bad for the 'Cat as she looks like a pack mule, but also looks rugged as hell so it's OK. It may seem excess to have all the straps and cable, but I've actually had to use all of that at times before, and even needed extra rope as well. Basically I try to be prepared for anything that could possibly go wrong. Better to pack it with me and not need it than to need it and not have it.

Boner has also got a great idea with that ratchet strap. That is a great trick for seating the bead if you ever need to. BTW, how's that compressor work for you? I need to get one. Sounds like you got a good deal with that kit, the same one sells for nearly $40 out here!

Well, that about covers it. Hope it helps. Best of luck to you with the new job! Hope it goes well for you. I just got offered two jobs myself for running heavy equipment (graders, loaders, etc.). Seriously considering it, as it will be more money and full benefits, retirement as well.

Good luck! Sorry for the length

Mike

Old 06-06-2000, 04:17 AM
Pro Rider

Well I try to carry everything I will ever need because many of my rides are multi-day and include sleeping out when necessary.
So to start off, I carry much of the same gear as Cowboy like the straps and rope and tree saver for the winch. (My buddy also carries a land anchor) In addition to these things I carry a complete change of dry clothes and a towel. A roll of toilet paper. A large tarp to construct a tent shelter,a camp stool, an emergency blanket, first aid kit, GPS and maps, and cell phone. Then I have the mess kit 2 cans of stew a can of fruit, spare quart of water, a propane burner and a stubby propane cylinder. I bring a bug net hat and bug spray, binoculars and a portable spotlight.
In my tool kit I have a small socket set, common wrenches and screw drivers, a super leatherman, hammer and nails, air compressor with plugs and a spare tube. I keep it stocked also with electrical wire and tape, miscellaneous connectors, small hose clamps and a tube of hand cleaner. I have an assortment of common nuts and bolts, wire ties and the ever popular duct tape. I also carry a set of wheel studs and nuts, extra spark plug, and believe it or not a spare CV boot and clamps and grease. Spare batteries for the GPS and 2-way radios we all use.
I keep 2 quarts of oil and a filter and a tube of silicone too. I carry 2 1/2 gallons of spare gas and a can of Fix a flat.
And lastly in a sheath mounted on my front rack I keep one of those quick use folding saws that are VERY handy to have, (although one of our group carries a small chain saw for big jobs)
This is quite a feat in itself to get it all in. It takes a degree in "PACKOLOGY" and like Cowboy said it truly LOOKS like a pack mule when we pull out. But I have seen many a smiling face when one of us or somebody we encounter on the trail needs something and I say "I've got that"
I will be interested in others ideas to see what I might be missing that would be good to have.

Old 06-06-2000, 09:15 AM
Trailblazer

Most of my rides are just one day rides. But I carry Air compressor and plug kits, tow strap, and a krypton 7ft. wire cable with a padlock for when I leave my machine to go hunting by foot. Always afraid someone will run off with my bike.
Not to mention the warn winch on front. And the most important item to take with you is another person on a another quad.

Old 06-08-2000, 12:32 AM
Pro Rider

Trailboss:
Glad you spoke up here, I was hoping to hear what all you carry. I tell you though, it is an awesome site like you said, riding with a bunch of guys, all looking around for something, and one of you definately has it. You did bring up a good point though, the TP can be very usefull for those nasty times when "dad" decides to see if his kitty can live through a rollover or two. Heh heh heh. If you don't mind, I may have to borrow that idea of yours about the folding saw. I've got an axe with me, but a saw would also be nice to have. And, I think it would fit perfectly between the front rack and the fender panel.

SP335AOK brought up another excellent point, that being the most important thing to take along is another person. No matter how much stuff we can carry to take care of ourselves or our machines in an emergency situation, it won't really do us much good if we're by ourselves with a broken neck, or limb. It's always a good idea to ride with others, even if you always have to be the "pack mule".

Happy trails and enjoy the ride! Best of luck with the new job BigCat!

Mike

Old 06-08-2000, 01:35 AM
Range Rover

Well I went shopping today and have almost got my recovery gear together so far it consists of:

1" Climbing webbing 15' long for a tree saver (4000lbs)

1" Climbing webbing 25" long of a pull strap or another hitch point.

4 3/8" Clevis

50 feet of 1/4 in Stainless cable with hooks a both ends

2 ****** blocks 8,000 lbs

100' of 1/4 nylon rope (I dont have a true use for it but it will come in handy)

2 20' lenghts of 3/8" chain

Rappelling harness, assorted caribiners, Rescue 8, and 200 meters of Static line (in case I have to rappel.

Large first aid kit, roll of ducktape, My trusty Columbian Machete, Air pump, tire repair kit, 2 extra sparkplugs, oil and filter, WD40, full Craftsman tool kit, Flare gun and two flares(found it in the boat), My trusty Sweetwater hiker Water filter, Optima backpacking lantern w/ extra mantles, MSR stove with 12 oz of fuel. MSR Cook kit, TP, 2 MRE (just in case), and a fire fighers axe with a short handle.

and I still have room in the Delta box for more stuff

Old 06-08-2000, 09:41 AM
Trailblazer

In addition to the saw I also carry a pair of rachet pruning sheers which I use almost daily.
Then I carry most of what everybody else carries Including a cell phone which I use alot because I ride alone allot ... Bill