Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Goodyear Rawhide MTR's

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2004, 04:08 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Goodyear Rawhide MTR's

One word AWESOME. First I have a 02 Traxter XT!

I bought my friends tires off of his Cat 650 with low miles on them. I had the blackwaters before and it rode terrible even with the Susp. kit, helped a bit but the tires were just too hard.
Now that I put the Good year Rawhide MT/R radials on the machine rides great and turns better and I seem to have more lower end power too. I couldn't belive the difference they made. If your looking for ride quality don't but a 6 ply tire on your machine I can attest to that, my cousin but Mud lites on his grizzly and my wife and I took it for a ride and the first thing she said was it rides considerably rougher now even with the susp. set soft in the back.
I have also noticed that my machine turns better and I can get the back end to kick out a bit, and there is NO tire roll on them at all. I think with the Traxter the compliment the bike greatly. I've driven an 03 with trial wolfs with NO susp. kit and it rides okay, but not as good as mine does now.
We did 75 miles in all different terrain except major mud and they handled everything with ease, I no longer feel a shock when hitting potholes, they climb great, they hook up well in Sand as I climbed a hill I couldn't climb before, in the mountains the performed well, water was good, now I'll have to try some mud, I know the CAT did okay in mud so I should be fine too.
Oh ya, I have more ground clearance too as they must be really 26 as when I put them on noticed right away that they are closer to my fenders then the Blackwaters were.
So there you go thanks everyone who gave info on the inital posts. Now I'm getting the K$N filter should help a little too.
Thanks

Old 11-26-2004, 04:55 PM
Trailblazer

One of the best things I have done for my 04 650 V2 is to get rid of the radials. They had way too much sidewall flex for my tastes. They rolled overway bad on corners and significantly added to the tendency to roll sideways on off camber side slopes. The ride was good and they did a good job crawling over rocks, etc. But the side roll was far too much to put up with. Even at 9 PSI they had too much roll. I switched to MudLites and it is like having a whole different machine. I'd never go back now.

Old 11-26-2004, 05:03 PM
Range Rover

Its funny as on my buddies CAT 650 it did it have some of that roll to it but I think it also had to do with the CATs centre of gravity being high aswell. Where I'm getting at is my Traxter XT is very wide and has a LOW centre of gravity, so I don't have any of that tire roll some people talk about and I only have 4.5lbs of air in them. My buddy said at 6-8lbs he didn't find it had it as much. Now he has 27 589's and now finds the ride rough even with the suspension set up.

Old 11-27-2004, 07:43 PM
Pro Rider

I didn't like the MTRs on my AC650 because of the roll of the soft sidewalls. I started experimenting with the air pressure and found that 9 psi works quite well on most of the hardpack and rocks I have ridden. I haven't done serious mud but what little mud I have ridden they did fine. I did notice they were squirrelly in sand with that much pressure. I am waiting for our first deep snow to see how they do then.

I was set to get some Mudlites but decided to stick with the MTRs a while longer.

Old 11-29-2004, 12:57 PM
Trailblazer

I'll sell my set of 4 near new MTR's for $150.00 + shipping. They have about 10 miles on them. Just email me at shockdocracing@aol.com and put tires for sale in the headline.

Jeff

Old 11-29-2004, 08:17 PM
Weekend Warrior

My wife and I both own the 05 650 cats. Steering can wears on my wife more than me butshe loves the power. thanks giving morning we were riding at St Joe park in MO. 800 acres of old lake bed with a fine sand base. the goodyears were aired to 71/2 lbs and did fine. we went into the woods and got into some hairy trails. awesome power walked right up them. A couple of the trails were badly washed with boulders sticking out. due to the deep wash areas and steep terrain that sometimes turned blind it was inevitable to avoid them. I have to nasty rim bends on my front tire, enough to give it a wobble. my wife also has one of hers shot also. I was shoked it didnt blow a tire on mine. Both will have to be replaced. I have been looking at mudlites, didnt know if it would protect the rim any better... does the dealer check the toe in... gegger

Old 11-29-2004, 08:29 PM
Trailblazer

I thumped the rims a few times before changing to MudLites. Since changing I have not hit a rim. The MudLites are 1" wider and have a stiffer side wall which seems to protect the rims much better even at the lower pressures.

Old 11-29-2004, 11:20 PM
Weekend Warrior

kind of what i was thinking a little better protection...i will go back with the stock rims since i only have to buy 2...good ridin

Old 12-07-2004, 09:35 PM
Pro Rider

the rawhide mtrs are chumpy.i dont like them. the sidewalls are too soft causing tire roll and bad handling.otherwise they were not too bad.but i wouldnt buy them for replacement tires.there are so many better replacement tires out there.

Old 12-08-2004, 12:22 AM
Pro Rider

i guess if i was a slower driving non aggressive individual the mtr's are a great tire but once you get a lil aggressive i hated them i only have about 60 miles on mine and i bought 27 inch itp 589's which i though i would use just for fun and mud running i put the 589's on and never took them off my rims from them goodyears and well if you look in magazine's goodyears are a very very expensive tire to buy as well but i guess for just coming on a stock machine they are great cause not everyone needs a more aggressive tire well actually most don't but they are to soft of a sidewall 6 ply all the way for me

Quick Reply: Goodyear Rawhide MTR's