Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Diesel Torque

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2003 | 10:09 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Diesel Torque

RedneckE, You ought to check out the TurboDieselRegister forums if you have not already. If you are not already a member, it is definately the best $35/yr you will spend.
As for your air filters, I had the K&N RE-0880 in my 1996 model, but recently went with the AFE which is a much better quality filter and meets Cummins' air quality standards. I have at least 100,000 miles with K&N on this truck (now has 187,000) and have not had any problems with the K&N, but it needed replacement and the AFE is a better built filter. I also added the AFE "Mega cannon" system to my 2003 Dodge 3500 Cummins quad cab 6-speed 4x4 truck.
As for all the talk about Dodge having "weak axles", I do not understand where they came up with that. I have never had any axle problems on any Dodge I have had. All have been run for at least 100,000 miles and have been very reliable trucks. I have had: 1993 W250 4x4 Cummins/5-speed 1998 cab/chassis Cummins 5-speed (sold to our family business which also has 1992 W350 cab/chassis Cummins/Auto.) 1998 quad-cab 3500 Cummins/ 5-speed and now have the 2003 3500 and the 1996 3500 extra-cab 4x4 Cummins 5-speed which I ordered and bought new in 1996. I bought my first Dodge in 1994 (the 1993 model) for the Cummins engine and the solid front axle. I wound up loving the Dodge so much that I ordered a new one with the extra-cab in 1996. Check out my profile on TDR (www.turbodieselregister.com) for more information on my diesel rigs. My "handle" there is "DieselNut59". BTW, I have dual 4" stacks on my 1996 and PLENTY of smoke and power. Cummins is definately a bullet proof engine. 2003+ models are definately too quite...took care of that with a straight pipe and the AFE filter system, along with the loss of the silencer ring in the turbo and the intake muffler...

Old 10-28-2003 | 07:08 PM
Range Rover
Default Diesel Torque

Yeah, i snoop around the TDR website quite a bit, but i am not a member. I also go to thedieselstop to check out the troubles the new 6.0l's are having.lol j/k.Dont you get like a monthly magazine with a membership to tdr? Can you look up the factory recalls on dodge trucks on the tdr websites? If you can, i would appreciate it if someone could post the list of 94 3/4ton recalls if the list is not to big, and if you guys have the time.My headlights will sometimes cut out while im driving at night, and im wondering if its not the light switch.Ill check out the filters some time, and see which one i like the looks/price of best. How long(estimate will work is the k&n filter you guys had, and will it fit right up without having the cold air intake?Thanks for all the help guys.

Old 10-28-2003 | 07:52 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Diesel Torque

Yes, there was a TSB on the headlight switch and I believe it did turn into a recall. GET IT FIXED ASAP either way. I have a friend who totalled out his 1500 gasser Dodge when the headlights went out on a country road and he ran off the road, lost it and hit a tree. Just so you know if this happens to you in the meantime, in an emergency if your lights go out, you can pull the high/low selector handle back and hold it and the high beams will stay on as long as you hold it back partially without clicking it. Get the switch replaced or buy one and do it yourself. It will save your harness (these things have been known to catch on fire when they are acting up) and could save your truck or your life.
You can also get a list of recalls and TSB's (Technical service bulletins) from your dealer, especially if you are in good with them.
The TDR membership includes a nice quarterly book which is sent out basicly according to the four seasons (Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter)
As for the K&N filter, you can get a direct stock replacement from the Dodge dealer through MOPAR Performance. It will go right in the stock air box. To use the RE-0880 we have mentioned (or the AFE equivelant), you will need a very short piece of 4" exhaust pipe to insert into the filter inlet. The factory hose will then slip over the filter inlet and tighten down on the piece of pipe using the factory clamp. As a starter point, I would just go with the K&N or AFE in the factory box.
Any more questions, feel free to e-mail me or check out the TDR.

Old 10-28-2003 | 08:59 PM
Range Rover
Default Diesel Torque

I already have the drop in K&N because it was with the truck when i bought it. The part # i said is wrong too, because it is the drop in filter like i have, not a cone type. The only reason i want a cone filter is because they make the turbo whistle louder in the cab, and i think they sound awesome. If you dont mind saying, what did youre k&n cone filter cost? I really dont want to spend a lot on one, so ill have to see.Yeah, ill have to get that switch fixed if i can, or do it myself, because i cant drive it like that. Does the re-0880 have a 4 inch rubber piece on one side that you put the pipe in to keep from flexing when you tighten up the clamp on the hose from the turbo?

Old 10-29-2003 | 01:52 AM
Pro Rider
Default Diesel Torque

Redneck, check out the link below. You can pull up all the TSBs. 10-4 on the RE-0880 question. Don't clamp the turbo hose to the filter without the metal insert, may not make for a good seal.

http://dodgeram.org/

Click on TSBs

Scott W.

Old 10-30-2003 | 05:36 PM
Range Rover
Default Diesel Torque

Thanks for the tsb's. Thanks for also clearing up my questions on the filter. If all goes well, i will probably buy one soon. I have to get a new power steering box for my truck sometime though, because mine messed up, and leaks fluid horrible.Thanks for all the help guys.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 10-31-2003 | 12:46 AM
Pro Rider
Default Diesel Torque

You bet. Enjoy that vintage CTD, they will never 'em make that way again, and that's ashame.

Scott W.

Old 10-31-2003 | 10:25 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default Diesel Torque

You are right, they will never be as good as the 1989-1998 12-valve engines, but they are still great engines. In my opinion, the Dodge truck has improved through the years, but regarding the Cummins, I have mixed opinions. I think the common rail fuel system is better than the previous (1998.5-2002) design, but the P7100 pump engines can't be beat! I love my 2003 but still love my 1996 just as much. One thing for sure is we (Dodge) have always had the best engine since we have had the Cummins. The inline 6 design cannot be beat!!!!!!!

Old 11-01-2003 | 12:48 AM
Pro Rider
Default Diesel Torque

I agree. If I could do it again, I would have bought my first 2500 with the CTD. It would have been a 98 12 valver, but I was talked out of the diesel by those who really had no knowledge. I ended up with the 5.9 gasser, which was okay. I kept that until fall of 00, when I got the 2001.5 I have now. I dislike the VP44 and really dislike the poor design of the transfer pump. Since I am way overfueled, I went the route of several aftermarket transfer pumps and have yet to find a reliable solution. Best I get is one year out of the transfer pump right now. That's the only real complaint I have with the 98.5 to 02 design. I live with the burden by monitoring the fuel pressure with a gauge and replacing the pump as need be.

Scott W.

Old 11-01-2003 | 01:12 AM
Range Rover
Default Diesel Torque

well if your using the brakes on your truck to slow down your trailer buddy your using the wrong brakes you should be using your trailer brakes to slow down your truck we,ve been to alberta twice with the camper and the truck has know problem but like I said this truck is built to pull a heavy load I have the large brake drums on it and every thing if you looked underneath you,d swear you were looking at the back end of a 3/4 ton pickup.