Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Diesel Torque

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2003 | 11:39 PM
|
Pro Rider
Default Diesel Torque

I know this is the Cat forum but I just got done test driving a 04' Ram 2500 4X4 Quadcab 5.9L HO/6speed. I really like the Cummins because of it's legendary reliability but was wondering what you guys think. Hopefully, if things go well, I may be able to purchase a new truck and bumper pull RV to go with my Rubicon. I'm really tired of the tent camping and the old K5 can't handle an RV safely.

Old 10-10-2003 | 12:07 AM
Weekend Warrior
Default Diesel Torque

go with the GMC thay are alot quieter

Old 10-10-2003 | 12:22 AM
Pro Rider
Default Diesel Torque

The dodge diesels trucks are said to have to light of a front end under it. Doesn't handle the weight of the diesel and costs hundreds to fix. Or so I've come to understand it. I went with Ford. Chevy/GMC just seems to feminine. LOL.

Save yourself $20,000 and use a hotel. You wont spend 200 nights in your RV.

Old 10-10-2003 | 03:54 AM
Trailblazer
Default Diesel Torque

Dude get the dodge if you can swing it.I had a chev 2500 diesel and conpared to the dodge I have now,it is night and day.As for being noisy,the 2003 and newer have common rail fuel injectoin,thus very quite and the most torque in a light truck on the planet,not modified of course.I well not get another brand diesel for a while,unless it is the new dodge.This is just my opinion from towing a 28 foot terry travel trailer and 2 atvs across the rails of the truck.My load is about 10,000 lbs total,but the wind resistance is high ,,no problems thus far.

Old 10-10-2003 | 07:52 AM
Trailblazer
Default Diesel Torque

I love my Ford, I pass people on hills while pulling a loaded horse trailer, have heard the same thing about Dodge front ends, also heard the Chevy trans. does not hold up. Good luck.

Old 10-10-2003 | 02:36 PM
Trailblazer
Default Diesel Torque

Okay I'll chime in here on this one.

I was looking for a new truck recently and I had to have something that was capable of pull my 28' Desert Fox toy hauler. I was already driving a new Chevy Avalanche but was aware of it's weak frame, Well I mean weak compared to a 3/4 ton picup. So I goes looking to see what I can find and after extensive research I decided on the Dodge 3500 Crew Cab Cummins. It has 305 HP @2900 RPM and 555 ft.lbs of torque @ 1400 RPM. The new '03 Dodges use the same rear end housing manufacturor as GM, they both use AAM or American Axle Manufacture Company axle housings and componets. Dodge was using the DANA rearends but no longer. That may have been what the rumor of "bad axles" going around. Even though they are from the same company they are NOT the same exact parts and are not interchangable. They Dodge salesman will tell you the 2500 series truck has the same rearend as the 3500 series truck, that only the springs are different and that just isn't so. The 2500 uses an 11-1/2" rear gear, the 3500 uses a 12-1/2" rear gear, much beefier to handle the heavier loads.

Brakes on the 03 and newer are awesome, I have no problem stopping my '03, quite unlike my '95 Ram 1500 (very poor brakes). The newer updated 48RE auto transmission has been given a lot of attention due to prior years suffering from lack of lubrication and heat buildup. The 47RE tranny was known for failure and constant problems, if you saw all the interior upgrades you would likely feel confident of the 48RE. I have had zero problems with mine and it shifts great while pulling over 11,000 pounds. Heat however is the main killer of all automatic trannys.

Comfort, well I still enjoyed the ride in my '02 Avalanche, the seats were plush and roomy, the fold down rear seats were great and my dogs had lots of room. The Dodge is a little smaller in the back seat area even though the seats do fold up, it seems there is just an inch or so difference, Dodge being smaller but still roomy.

Power , what can I say, it's got lots, the high torque comes in low on the RPM band and keeps on pulling. The new Dodge uses a high pressure fuel rail system and they are a good deal quieter than years prior. Once you pull away from an idle you don't hear it any longer, nice and quiet.

This is a big purchase for many people and I encourge you to do your homework. Don't buy a product simply because of past rumors, most people that spread rumors don't even use the product. I took a chance on the new Dodge knowing full well about the track history of the older 47RE transmission. But after seeing the upgrades that Dodge made, I feel like I made the correct decision. If you look at the undisputable proven history of the Cummins motor you will find there is no other that can match the reliability of Cummins. 350,000 miles on an average rebuild, that is when the motor is used for everday heavy hauling, 500,000 miles on the Cummins is not uncommon.

Ford has gone to the smaller 6.0 liter motor downsized from the 7.3 liter to meet federal emissions guidlines. Ford has experienced many many problems with the computer system and fuel system in this new motor. I do believe they are beginning to get some of the problems squared away. I did lots of reading on the Ford prior to my purchase. Yes they do have the most horsepower but the torque is only 5 ft. lbs more than the Dodge and it's higher on the RPM band. Torque is what gets things moving and I can tell you this the Dodge not only gets it moving, it keeps it moving very well.

I'm not bashing Ford here guy's I really like the new Fords but I will state that Fords customer service is the worst service for an american auto manufacture. I speak this only from owning several new Fords and have never been so dissatisfied in all my new car ownership years. FORD SERVICE SUCKS!!!

I've owned new Chevy's and new Dodges, I will not go backwards, Ford needs to listen to the consumers and back there product then I may consider going back to Ford.
Ford service is the only reason I refused to purchase a new product from them.

I hear it all the time from Yamaha owners that Yamaha Motor Corp does not stand behind their product. Well I'm in the hunt for a new ATV and I believe it will be a new Artic Cat 650. I have read over and over that Artic Cat goes out of their way to stand behind the product they sell. Yamaha goes away from the consumer to hide and not admit they have a problem but they still have your money. Sorry Yamaha I will not purchase your product.

I currently own a KFX700 and P650, Kawasaki makes a great product and provides good service to the customer.
I never make my purchases based on a one line comment from someone that has never been there done that, I hope your purchase is based on your research and findings.

God luck.

Old 10-10-2003 | 02:46 PM
Trailblazer
Default Diesel Torque

Most of the issues that plagued the earlier Dodge trucks have been addressed. IMHO the Cummins engine in the Dodge is still hands down the best engine available. Being fastest in a drag race with no load does not qualify one as having the "best" engine. I have a '96 5 speed and while it has had a few minor issues (track bar, 5th gear nut), it has been a great truck and has never left me stranded.

I would stay away from the Ford 6.0 liter Powerstroke until they have the bugs worked out. If Ford had the Cummins engine available, I would probably own one.

Old 10-10-2003 | 02:48 PM
Elite Pro Rider
Default Diesel Torque

Originally posted by: BushWacked
Yamaha goes away from the consumer to hide and not admit they have a problem but they still have your money. Sorry Yamaha I will not purchase your product. I currently own a KFX700 and P650, Kawasaki makes a great product and provides good service to the customer. I never make my purchases based on a one line comment from someone that has never been there done that, I hope your purchase is based on your research and findings. God luck.
Glad us disgruntled Yamaha owners are getting through. Customer service is very important....especially with a defective product.

Old 10-10-2003 | 03:30 PM
Trailblazer
Default Diesel Torque

Ya know I have heard from other members of this web site forum and others, "well you just need to understand, ALL makes/brands have some problems" Yes I agree, but "Yamaha" has been again and again slammed for failure to stand behind it's product. It's one thing to have a breakdown on the trail but to come back to your dealer to find out your extended warranty repair is being denied due to Y.E.S. saying" the machine has been abused so we will not cover the problem, is BS.

All of these machines will get abused sometime, somewhere and they are to be expected to be used for the intended purpose. Yamaha sure likes to show off on their ad videos how fast their machines can corner and slide throught the turns but you take your atv out and do this very same thing and they deny your claim due to abuse or neglect. I certainly don't expect for any dealer of manufacture to replace my atv after I fall off a cliff from my own stupidity but I damn sure expect the service to cover known failures even after the warranty is up within reason. Say you purchase a product and after 3 months you find out the spindels are breaking on a regular basis or the transmissions are failing one after the other in all kinds of riding conditions. Don't they think they have a commitment to the original purchaser to fix these type of known failures. Yamaha apparently feels it's not a problem, so their attitude is if you don't like it buy something else? Screw'em, I hesitate to purchase a Yamaha regardless of what some people say good about them. It's too bad for me too because I really love the look of the Grizz660. Looks like Artic Cat will be getting another customer.

You are correct garyc660r, it is catching on but I believe it is much to slow to force Yamaha to change it's ways. Big money usually always wins.

Old 10-13-2003 | 12:27 AM
|
Pro Rider
Default Diesel Torque

Wow, never thought I would get much response. Bush Wacked, amazing respone man.

I went ahead and bought the new truck. HO Cummins with the 6speed. I had heard from the dealer and some buddies that the new 6.0 Ford was having alot of problems. I also heard that the early 03' Dodge diesel auto tranny's were recalled or having some trouble. So I went with what I hope is a really reliable combo. Cummins and the 6 speed.

The diesel has alot more get-up-and-go than I expected. I can see why it will pull a heavy trailer up the hills and such. It's just amazing the torque these engines have. I have been watching my MPG on the overhead console and seeing what it does. It seems overall about 17.5 MPG is what I'm getting right now. Not bad at all, my K5 was getting way less than that on a truck half the size. It might do a little better after it breaks in. About 150 miles so far.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Quick Reply: Diesel Torque