Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New ATV in crate ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 02:10 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying new ATV in crate ?

I want to buy a new ATV but the last "new ATV I bought when I went to pick it up the guy was riding it and burnishing the brakes on it. he was going wide open and then stopping really quick. I know he was supposed to do something similar to that for the brakes but my question is

Can you buy a new bike still in the crate and finish assembly your self when you get home with it.

These things aren't cheap and I dont want one already used any ?

Also does anyone know how much the motors are ran after assembly at the plant that makes them ?

I'll be in the market in a couple of months for a new one.

Thanks

Old 11-03-2003, 11:10 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New ATV in crate ?

The reason a dealer sets up a unit is to prevent the customer from having problems. There is a differance between riding unit to get it ready for delivery and joy riding. Usually new bikes have half to three quarters miles on the speedometer.

Old 11-04-2003, 02:15 AM
Pro Rider

i would think that you could but i don't think that Arctic Cat would do warrenty work on it. if it is possible you should be able to save a little money too. my dealer charges about $200 bucks for setup (at least that is what it costs on snowmobiles)

Old 11-04-2003, 07:47 PM
Pro Rider

the 200 dollar setup fee is a bunch of bull. its a made up fee. its just 200 more for them. msrp is msrp not msrp + 200 lol.

Old 11-04-2003, 08:03 PM
Trailblazer

My dealer got me for $150.00. ALL dealers in my area WILL get their set-up fee one way or another. NONE of the dealers I went to either discounted the machine or took off the set-up fees. If you want it they stood their ground even though I walked out on one dealer 3 times...They got you....

As for purchasing the machine still in the box, I would not recommend it. One they go thru the machine and check to see if everything is ok and they also check the serial number to see if there are any service bulletins they need to perform. Also if you live in high altitude areas they may need to make adjustments so the machine can run properly. These types of things are not done from the factory.

What is the difference if you purchase a machine with 0 or 10 miles on it anyway it's still new. Do you buy your cars stilll in the crate?? They drive them off the trucks and around the lot..maybe 5-10 miles on them....I be the speedo's come with "less than 0" miles on them for this purpose anyway..I know copiers do..

Old 11-05-2003, 12:08 AM
Pro Rider

Be aware that ATV manufacturers do NOT break the engines in on a bench the way most auto manufacturers do these days. You will need to go through a breakin period, and carelessness during that period will cost you later. Cat says 10 hours or 100 miles.

Used ATV's seem to hold their price better than dirt bikes, although if you're looking at a Cat 500, you may find a deal from someone looking to move up to a 650.

Old 11-05-2003, 12:20 AM
Pro Rider

I passed on the "new" TRV that was left outside in the rain in the fenced storage area for one right out of the crate as I watched it be readied. I know that first unit sat outside - rain and all - for at least two weeks during my contemplation period.

For setup - the battery was filled with the acid bottle provided and placed on a charger while the backrest was installed. The oil was checked, battery installed and it was then test driven to verify the brakes and lights worked. I'd say about 40 items on a check list were addressed. It took about an hour from the crate hitting the floor until the quad was in my trailer. $200 an hour for a high school kid with a bag-o-wrenches is pretty good profit margin.

I also watched the hired help "put up" the outside models before closing. Wheel stands, jumping hills and general ripp'n it up play time was what I saw. No, For me - out of the crate is just fine. Most of the dealers here have only the floor model uncrated and the inventory is stacked up out back in boxes.

MSRP??? Who pays MSRP??? Find a car salesman friend and bring him with you next time your out shopping and learn something.

Old 11-05-2003, 12:04 PM
Pro Rider

quote:
MSRP??? Who pays MSRP??? Find a car salesman friend and bring him with you next time your out shopping and learn something.

That is funny. dealers are more willing to negoaite with someone who comes in with a good attitude then one that comes in with a pushy saleman. msrp= manufactures sugested retail price you know its just sugested price they could ask 500 over that so give them a break you could get alot farter at a dealership with a reason for giving you a deal rather than what are you gonna do for me or give me your best price. You know that carsalesman that you wanna bring in well we are trained to sell like them so when they come in with a attitude it really is not going to get them far.

Old 11-05-2003, 07:15 PM
Range Rover

the only new truck i bought i got with 3 miles on it.

like the other said when they take them in and out everyday the bike is no longer new to me.

and the motor can never be broken in right.

i dont care about the charge but if i'm payin that kind of money for new i want new.

the dealer i know that got the 650 in rode it for a day then sold it the next and the dvx they got i know they rode it at least three times. not just in andout i mean down trails and down the road.

that bike is no longer new to me.

Old 11-05-2003, 07:26 PM
Pro Rider

$500 more than MSRP??? Bwaaaaahahahaha...... Now thats funny.

Quick Reply: New ATV in crate ?