Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

New 500 owner but I have a tranny ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 11:37 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New 500 owner but I have a tranny ?

Hello all. I have been looking at the AC for a very long time now and I went out a few days ago and got a 500 with the mrp rack. Anyway I have a tranny ? I was in 4 high and everything was great. Then I stopped and put it in 4 low. Everything went well also. Then i went back to 4 high everything went well I moved about 10 feet and the atv slowed down and made a clicking noise. I suddenly hit the brake for about 10 sec and then i started to hit the gas and it was like nothing ever happend. it always happens when i go from Low back to high. Is this normal the sound when it happend sounded like it was around the aux pull starter. Thanks

Old 01-03-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

mine does this every now and again, what i have narrowed it down to being is that the range doesnt move fully into gear when you shift it, if you shift the range then rock you machine back and forth a bit you should have no problems at all, i havent since i started doing this anyway

Old 01-03-2004, 01:51 PM
Pro Rider

Sounds to me like your gears are meshing together you might need an adjustment an your shift lever. It could also be your bike is new and needs to be worked in, take it to the dealer have him look at it. I had the same problem but it went away by itself, but i'd still get the dealers opinion. If I'm not mistaken it sounds like a clicking or ticking noise until you come to a stop right?

Old 01-03-2004, 02:09 PM
Trailblazer

Yea, it sounds like a ticking or clicking, well I will see I have only had it a few days. I have not had time yet to really go and break in the engine. I only have about 1 mile on it. You know being new at it I dont know what noise is normal and what is not. Thanks

Old 01-03-2004, 02:14 PM
Trailblazer

You didn't say if it was a auto or manual. Mine is a auto and took it to the dealer last week for the same type of problem. He said my idle was too high and that the belt was still moving. He adjusted the idle as low as he could. So far so good...........

Old 01-03-2004, 02:26 PM
Trailblazer

Yes, it is a Auto. Right now I think the gears just need to wear in they my be meshing tightly. It sounds like the I idle it about right when warmed up. It has a really low idle when it is cold when you first start it. Well it also is 32 degrees out side. But I starts great in cold weather.

Old 01-03-2004, 03:13 PM
Pro Rider

I could see the idle being a problem, try adjusting, it MNCAT might be right aswell!! I too notice my bike ran a high idle just never suspected that would be the problem. like I said earlier mine went away on its own though and I know that at the dealer they turn the idle up pretty good to get the bike started once assembled out of the crate this might be it.

Old 01-03-2004, 04:22 PM
Trailblazer

I have the 400I Manual, If the machine is idling high it has a problem going from reverse to high range, but when low idling it is fine, its obviously that the gears arent meshing correctly, but also you can adjust the linkage on the transfer, there is a E-clip at the transfer case end of the shift rod, pull the E-clip, the linkage slips off, and is threaded so that you can adjust it, that helped mine alot, it shifts alot better now. before it felt like the it wasnt coming all the way out of reverse, now i know it does.

Old 01-03-2004, 04:57 PM
Pro Rider

didnt know you had an auto, i have a manual so that would make things different

Old 01-03-2004, 10:54 PM
Trailblazer

Mine tended to do it after it had been warmed up. I also thought my idle was low enough. He turned it down to just barely idles. It was about 10 degrees today and I had no problems. Try tweaking down your idle and see what happens

Quick Reply: New 500 owner but I have a tranny ?