Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Stuck again D@#n it!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2000, 12:57 AM
Extreme Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a ton of rain, I headed to the local creek to play in the water with a new set of Claws. Well boys, tires can only take you so far. Driving around in a mess of sand, silt, rock, and mud mix stuff, I started off a little gravel/sand bar into some of the washout, then decided that it was a dead end and started backing up. Going just fine the whole time. Got back to where it was solid and got the rears up against the harder stuff while they were actually sitting in the slop and spun. Of course I hammered it and gave it the rocking motion hard, but all I did was dig myself in real good. Framed, all the way up to the swingaxle arms in the rear. Nothing really to winch to either. (nice place to have had a come-a-long) I dug around it a bit and tried but nothing. Winched it sideways a bit to open up some place in the giant ruts I made, hit my knees and started digging for China. After about 30-45 minutes of diggin slop out of the ruts and sand and rocks out from under the frame, I finally climbed aboard, slapped it in low range reverse and gave it hell. With the frame free, the claws slowly dug their way out of the bog and I was once again up on the gravel bar looking at some ruts which had quickly filled back to the top in goo. I whipped it back around and jumped into the creek to clean my stupid *** off, and then headed back home under the cover of darkness. Lucky that I did get out, because I figure there would have been quite a few rednecks calling in sasquatch sitings of a mud covered creature walking down the side of hiway 71. Tires are awesome as long as they are touching the ground, but frame it out and nothing round and made of rubber can help you.

Old 06-27-2000, 05:30 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad you made it out safely, with no damage, Andy! Also, glad to hear the winch was of at least some marginal use to you.

When stuck and unable to winch in the forward direction, I have run the winch cable under the vehicle to a rear anchor point (tree), through a ****** block chained there and then hooked to the rear bumper or trailer hitch. This rig provides a straight rearward pull; not the best routing of the cable, but since the ****** block halves the cable extraction tension (compared to a single line), cable-boogering is minimized.

I don't suggest you should have tried this technique, having no idea what the situation was where you were stuck, regarding anchor points, etc. Instead, I share the experience in case it ever comes in handy.

Sounds like your tires are o.k.; however, as you mention, ALL tires have their limitations. Thus, when our mutual friend and your fellow AC rider, Boner, asked whether he should opt for trick tires or a winch for riding alone in the swamp, I voted for the winch.

Tree Farmer

Old 06-27-2000, 02:55 PM
Pro Rider

Andy:
Sounds like you had a good time! Call me crazy, but I kind of like getting stuck every now and then. Makes for some darn good stories, and hones your winching abilities. I too can vouch for Tree Farmers methods of running the cable underneath with the help of a ****** block. When done properly, it can definately get you out of a sticky situation in a hurry. Chaulk one more up for the ****** block!

You guys are both right about the tires. They will take you every where you want to go-to a point. Sometimes they'll get you in a worse predicament then you could have been without them, but that's just all part of the learning curve. Also another reason I opted for the winch before purchasing tires. Should I happen to feel invincible with larger tires, I know I've got my trusty Warn to bring me back to reality should I get stuck.

Sorry to hear about your recent framing encounter. Hope you are still happy with the tires overall though.

Mike

Old 06-27-2000, 04:12 PM
Pro Rider

Good story, and the morale to the story is "no matter how bad a$$ you or your quad might be, there is always a mud hole or river bed thats even more bad a$$."

I am sure you had a good laugh once you got home.

Old 06-28-2000, 12:48 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I thought about running the cable under the quad at one point but it would have been impossible seeing that this area was totally blocked off (it was framed out and I would have had to have made a tunnel to run it through- no easier than just digging the whole thing out). I think we are in for more rain tomorrow so I can always go back and see where my ruts used to be. I'm sure they will be totally washed away again, and there will be new places to get stuck. Best bet I think is just not to go into the slop alone.

Old 06-28-2000, 04:13 AM
Pro Rider

Andy:
I haven't yet done this to my 'Cat, but on my truck, I ran a length of pvc pipe the length of the truck, with a rope of equal length inside, which was hooked to the cable when this very situation occured. By placing the pipe in the best location you can find, where it won't be torn off, you can now pull the rope from the bed of the truck (or back of the quad), without having to get your feet muddy, or having to lay down to get the cable under. The pipe also helps keep the cable clean, and out of the mud, and the rope helps to guide it through. Just remember to put the ****** block in the right place at the opening to the pipe, and you'll be OK.

Have fun in tomorrows ride, hope everything goes well!

Mike