Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Arctic Cat vs Polaris

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2006, 11:05 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arctic Cat vs Polaris

how much does one of those weigh?

My Rincon's "claimed dry weight" is 600lbs.

Old 06-07-2006, 08:01 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: Bear4570
Originally posted by: DeeDawg
QUOTE by: eiger2: Polaris doesnt seem to hold up as well under more extreme conditions.

I disagree. I've never owned one or even spent much time on one, but over here there are some units that have them for use on the camps. I know where I am they get the pi$$ rode out of them every day by everyone in the unit. These are people who don't have to pay to get them fixed, and the machines are weighted down with extra heavy duty platforms front and back, "roll bars", and winches at both ends. Extreme conditions? It's supposed to hit 125 degrees this week, and 130 plus later on. The Rangers seem to work just fine, too.
But those machines are not the standard Polaris but the spec built machines and there is a major difference.
To begin with, DeeDawg didn't specify which model that he is talking about. I spent most of 2004-2005 in Afghanistan. Those "spec built" machines aren't that much different. If you can, list the differences for me. The major differences that I am aware of are the frame of course, run-flat/ballistic resistant tires, clutching. The drive line components are all the same, the engine is the same, AWD works the same. Most of the units that we had were not the .mil versions. We had a couple of regular carb SP700s and one 6x6 Sportsman. They had been modified by Joes to get the job done, whatever it was. We spray painted the plastics and rode the crap out of them. The Polaris' held up just fine. They were more reliable than the Afghanies or any of the Deuces we had. If you have some personal experience that reflects differently, please share. I agree entirely with DeeDawg's assessment, abused daily and never had a real problem. But, but, but,..................nothin'. The Polaris' proved to be bullet proof. In some cases literally. And so what if it were the .mil versions? They still perfomed when they were asked. I know that we were able to count on them when we needed them.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:39 PM
Pro Rider

Every weekend I get "volunteered" as camp mechanic. I've replaced enough Polaris parts to actually have built a new machine. Starters, axels, driveshafts, and other big parts usually cause the quad to be trailer bound the rest of the trip. This is usually the P's problems. Others usually only require a filter or carb cleaning.

Polaris builts an excellent machine. Their just not as refined as the Hondas. Polaris is like the Harley of quadom. Their old stuff is mostly junk but in recent years they have really turned around and are building much better machines. The gap between all manufacturers has almost dissapeared but there are still differences.

I think the Military versions of Polaris have heavier axels,too.

Almost every member of the Windrock ATV club has had an experience on a Polaris. Used to be we all rode em. Now only a handful still ride em. Everyone has trunks to carry spare parts they needed for the Ps and now they are full of snacks and drinks. 100 mile days, days at a time are common, and the nearest road may be a couple mountains away. (thats a tow job that really stinks).

We have 2 20 year old Hondas, 200 & 350, sitting in the garage right now that just need some maintaining and a brake rebuild. Neither quad has ever had anything this major done before. We also have 2 Polaris, 500 & 325, that need front brake calipers rebuilt, new starter, CV joint, and a bunch of lil things, which seem excessive on 4 year old quads. And I'm not even a repair shop. (to be fair, Rodney doesnt take care of his Polaris but he aint hard on it either)

If ya love Polaris, then by all means that is the machine for you. Take good care of it and it will never let ya down. But if ya ride hard, put er away wet and muddy, change yer oil every 4 to 5 years, and only clean yer air filter when it wont idle, then you NEED a Honda.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:48 PM
Range Rover

Originally posted by: eiger2
Polaris builts an excellent machine. Their just not as refined as the Hondas. Polaris is like the Harley of quadom. Their old stuff is mostly junk but in recent years they have really turned around and are building much better machines. The gap between all manufacturers has almost dissapeared but there are still differences.

THEIR OLD STUFF IS CERATINLY NOT JUNK.MY 94 HAS HELD UP GREAT.YOU CANT BEAT THESE OLD 2 STROKE 400S WITH THE TOUGH METAL RACKS.IMO THEY ARE BETTER THAN THE COMPOSITE RACKS ON THERE TODAY.AT LEAST POLARIS HAD SELECTABLE 4X4.

Old 06-07-2006, 01:58 PM
Pro Rider

Thats not the 4x4 with all the drive chains, is it??

Hey where in Indy are ya??

Old 06-07-2006, 02:10 PM
Range Rover

Yes sir.3 chains.One pain in the a** to tighten though but I like it.I am in the south part of Indiana.

Old 06-07-2006, 02:45 PM
Pro Rider

From yer signature I guess yer an outdoorsy offroader. My kinda people!!!

I've ridden wid the Lincoln county riders and the Midwest trail riders and they're based around the Evansville area. They would be a good group to hook up with. We meet em at Windrock sometimes. Tell Mudcat I sent ya!

My Daughter just graduated from UE.

If yer closer to Cincinnati, then ya might want to hook up with us sometime. The QuadAbusers!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 06-07-2006, 02:54 PM
Range Rover

My exact location is Sandborn.Which is where green,daviess and knox counties meet.About
30 miles ne of Vincennes.

Old 06-07-2006, 04:25 PM
Pro Rider

You have got to be kidding me. GET OUT OF THE PAST!!. REGUARDLESS OF IF POLARIS HAS TURNED THINGS AROUND COMPLETELY (which they have) YOU ALL STILL HAVE THOSE BAD MEMORIES OF THE OLDER ONES AND YOU WONT LET THEM GO!!. For crying out loud, there is no one who rides an ATV as hard as i do, and i havnt had one thing break yet. I have a 2 inch Highlifter lift Kit, and '27 589's and not one problem with stock axles, and i've had this setup for almost a year. Not only that, i ride my ATV 5-6 days out of the week, hard. Im tired of all this bullSh*t people keep talking about. Yes, DUH, Honda's will last longer. Anyone in their right mind would know that. But, then again, i have had no problems with my Polaris. AND i usually always buy a new ATV once i reach the 3 year mark. So please, most of you need to wake up and stop living in the past, and recognize what Polaris makes today.
----------------------------
2004 Polaris Sportsman 700 (Green)
'27 ITP 589 M/S Tires
on ITP Type 5 Wheels
3000 lb. Warn Winch
3-Way Headlight Mod
High Lifter Lift Kit

2004 Polaris Sportsman 500 Mossy Oak - STOLEN
2001 Honda Rancher ES 350
Sold

Old 06-07-2006, 04:51 PM
Range Rover

I LOVE my old polaris.Nothing can stop that except my arctic cat which has the samne features like 2 inch lift,589s ect.Even with my arctic cat I love my old polaris.Its like a truck.You dont take a new silverado and go mudding.You take a old Chevy(like the one in my sig.) and go mudding with it.

Quick Reply: Arctic Cat vs Polaris