Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Want some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2004, 06:24 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want some feedback

Revhigh-
I think I am going to go with the 400 2x4. We are out in Vegas and I asked the dealer about the 250 and he said with the size of rocks they have out in the desert the clearance is iffy. He recommended to stick with the 400. I am going to buy from a guy over in Utah a 2004 2x4 auto for 4650, seems to be the best I can do right now. If he still has the 2003 when I buy it is 4350, both never ridden. I just have to be patient and wait a couple more months, but that's hard to do, I want to go ride, NOW!!! What do you think about those extra seat things you can buy?

Old 01-20-2004, 06:38 PM
Range Rover

Thomar,

Yeah, a great decision with the 400. NOw we just gotta get you 4X4'in. Like I said I got the 02 500 Auto demo for 4300. Go to the AC site, get a dealer list in your area, and hit the phone for a couple hours, you could snag a deal you previously wouldn't have thought possible like I did.

To me those seats are iffy at best. They can upset the balance of the machine, make them back heavy (wheelie prone which sometimes can be fun!!! and dangersous!!), and at least in my area (PA) are illegal on state and federally owned land for riding. If it's on private land and a small kid you'll probably be OK on a machine like the 400 (it's full size). Just be careful. If asked seriously, I'd have to say for safety's sake, don't do it, but it's your decision.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:43 PM
Trailblazer

Good to know about the seats. It would be for our kids which are small, for now!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] It's amazing how they say not to ride passangers yet they make things like that!!! It tries my patience to wait, but once I get it I will let you know!!! I'll post a picture, but it will be a little bit. I will call some other places. The guy I have been dealing with was referred by a friend where he got his. Oh he might have a 2003 400 for 4350 if it's still there when we buy, with only a year difference does it make that big of a deal?

Old 01-20-2004, 07:41 PM
Range Rover

In most cases, a year means nothing, it's just a different color most times. For example, Yamaha's Warrior has been unchanged since around 88.

The 03 is OK I guess I'd hold out for a better deal... call around ... a few hours can save you hundreds. You never know what situation the dealers are in. Some sell for MSRP, while others may sell for cost or less if you're lucky. I guess it depends who needs to pay the electric bill

REVHIGH

Old 01-20-2004, 10:46 PM
Trailblazer

I know your only basically talking about the 250 and 500 , but did you consider a 300? Friends have one and they like it better than their 400 , only their opinion . Go to the dealer if he knows your serious he will let you test ride them to see the difference. I have a 500 TRV ( thats the machine you need to legally ride two people) Some times i think its a little much for my fiance to handle (steering ,just the over all size leg spread -because of the auto) Another question ,Do you like to shift? 250 , 300 are auto clutch manual shift, 400-500's come in both manual and auto. Auto is great no thinking about shifting just hit the gas steer and go! I've had both, previously had a 2000 400 ACT (old style suspension) ride is okay , but would go with the independent. It had the manual shift ,artic cat rocker shifter -loved it (so do some dont) 4x4 is the only way to go , well worth the extra money, does everything the 2x4 does plus much more! The 300 and the 400 both are shiftable in and out of 4x4. If you have a choice between a 03 and a 04 take the 04 if has better hyd. foot brake, better master cyl. and 4x4 has push button 4x4. Plus the new tires( Radial Carlisle Badlands) are way better than the( biasply dunlops)[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-sad.gif[/img] that where on the 03's These are just my opinions, You buy what suites you best , Ride with the kids safe ( you notice none of them say the are passenger seats , they are for resting only LOL yeah like anyone will believe that one)

Old 01-21-2004, 12:12 AM
Pro Rider

Note that the people who make the quad are not the same people that make the add on seats.

I can't speak loudly enough about NOT riding 2 up on a 1 rider machine, especially with children on the back. On any quad, but especially a lighter machine like a 250 or a 300, a rider on the back will alter the machine's handling - they leverage the weight off of the front end, and the steering doesn't work very well when you start up a hill. What makes it worse is that this happens without warning - it feels okay on level ground, but start up an incline, and whee - this thing doesn't want to steer anymore. Bad news if you need to turn quick to avoid a dropoff, and can't...

I speak from experience - I put a 90 pound kid on the back of my big Cat 500i, a very heavy machine, started up a hill, and, whoa, this thing won't turn. I ended up having to crawl up on the gas tank and lean over the front wheels to get the front end down enough to steer. I wouldn't have thought that small kid would have made that much difference, but he did.

Some people ride 2 up on a 1 rider machine and seem to get by, but these tend to be expert riders that know what to look for, and can jump fast if something bad happens. If you're just starting out, don't get the idea that just because someone makes an extra seat, it's okay to put it on and put one of your kids back there. It isn't.

If you plan on riding 2 up, now or in the future, I'd STRONGLY recommend you look at the 2 seater Arctic Cat. It's designed for a passenger, and doesn't handle weird with someone on the back. It isn't cheap, but how much are your children worth?

Old 01-21-2004, 12:42 AM
Pro Rider

I always wonder about the tip over tendency of these rearward mounted engines such as the AC 250. With the center of gravity moved so far to the rear and the front end being basically empty- how much less steep of a hill will the 250 climb before going.over backward? I went over backward on my Polaris with the wife on the back and we dont wish that to happen to anyone. It hurts. A lot. I type this one handed as the other side is recovering from reconstructive surgery to reattach the clavacle halfs back together. Its been a year since our accident.

I think the 400 is a good choice. We have had smaller then 400 quads and I would not go there again.

I disagree with riding two up on a ATV built for one person - here in Minnesota you can ride with a child under 12 in front of you if the child is wearing a helmet. If you had seen the number of kids who have fallen off the back of a ATV as I have you would never ever consider putting a rider on the back.

Those "no rider" seats placed on the atv racks should be banned. Carrying a person that far to the rear makes it very dangerous from both a handeling and tip-over aspect. And as a note - we lost a neighbor kid weekend before last riding two up after loosing control on the ice. They hit a tree near the shore. And then another this weekend near town where two were riding and the driver could not negotiate the turn and hit a parked car. Thats two dead in two weeks riding two up on quads built for a single rider. Get the picture? The not so funny reality is that many many people do ride two up using those seats and they think they are getting away with it. I liken it to playing russian roulette.

Good luck

Old 01-21-2004, 01:05 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

Like I said before, on my 250 2X4 I've been every where the 400, 500, 600, 650 and 700's have been and ain't been over backwards yet and don't plan on it. I'm way to old to heal up again. Had one of the 400's roll down a hill because instead of backing straight down he tried to turn around and oops. The only time the 250 feels light in front is when I'm in low-low and going up the ramp into the back of the truck. Those metal cross bars give it some major traction and you don't wanna goose the throttle. On dirt, sand, gravel, mud or snow it has never even felt light in front.

Old 01-21-2004, 02:54 PM
Trailblazer

I have definitely got to agree with 2RIDERCAT on getting an '04 model with the better hydraulic brakes. Before I bought my 04 400 4x4 manual, I test drove an 03 model. As I set the parking brake, I noticed a small amount of brake fluid seep out the top of fluid reservoir. That sealed the deal for me on getting an 04, plus I love the on the fly four wheel drive. One last thing, buy what YOU want.

Old 01-21-2004, 03:53 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you all for being so helpful. My husband stopped to look at a Suzuki that he saw at a dealer a 500 4x4 and he said AC uses the bottem of the line suzuki motors. Well now who do you believe? I feel like a dog chasing my tail at times. The AC dealer here has a 2003 375 auto 2x4 for $3600 with a year in a half warrenty left, what do you think?
Will keep you posted

Quick Reply: Want some feedback