Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Want some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2004, 09:35 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want some feedback

Bookmark this site ... it gets you right to the NADA area where you need to be... they let you have 10 quotes per day

http://www2.nadaguides.com/Values/Va...Sec=3&wPg=1026

Personally I wouldn't buy a grain of sand from EBAY, but many people seem to. I guess I'm just not trusting enough.

REV

Old 01-21-2004, 10:16 PM
Trailblazer

Rev-
How much do you charge for your services!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] You have been a huge help. the NADA is obviously more accurate than the Kelley Blue Book I suppose? I will check it out for sure. Thanks a lot.

Old 01-22-2004, 11:18 AM
Range Rover

Hey Thomar

Nah I don't charge. I've found most of the dealers in my area use low NADA at most for trades. Can't say for other areas. My dealer is really cool. He'll tell you right upfront that you lose 25% the first year on ATV's and Motorcycles. He's real fair, but he also realizes and wants you to realize that a used machine that's high priced is up against his brand new machines with a warranty and real attractive financing, which most people need and want..

I'd venture to guess that 90% of people would buy a smaller machine new, than a used larger machine right next to it, even though they want the larger machine. Everybody knows these things get the shiit beaten out of them, and want new. Me, on the other hand, am just the opposite. I figure nobody's done anything to the machines that I won't do so who cares if its used. These things seem to be able to take it.

There's many machines all over that people are trying to sell for 1000 - 2000 over what they're worth. That's OK, but very few people are so gullible to buy them. You'll see as I have, that if a used machine is priced right, you better buy it now, because it won't be there tommorrow. I've seen 2000 400-500 4X4's for 5 and 6K, when they're worth 3500. That 4.9 percent financing with no money down sure looks good when you buy, but 2 years later when you've paid off 500 in equity and the rest is interest and tax and licensing, people are shocked. They now own a machine that's worth 3500 and they owe 5200 on it. Not only that, they've put 1500 in accessories that NOBODY will pay for, yet the owner tries to factor that into the sales price too. I've learned that you modify and accesorize for yourself only. Don't expect to get a dime back thinking it added to the value of the machine, because you won't. What do they do??? Put it for sale in ATVtrader for 2000 over book value, hoping to go down 300 and at least break even.

That's why I bought mine the way I did, 2500 in depreciation has already been eaten up, AND I have a 2 year warranty to boot, so who cares that its used??? It's new as far as Arctic Cat is concerned. When I told my dealer about my Beartracker that I bought for 1900, he asked me if I wanted to trade it in on another AC for my daughter... these machines are in so much demand it's unbelievable. Not the Beartracker, or the 250 it has, but the PRICE POINT of around 2K. I bet every dealer in the country has a list of 25 people all looking for ATV's that cost 2000.

That's why I recommend to buy used, at the 2K price point, or a 4X4( preferably used at a fair price). If you do that, you won't lose your shirt when you upgrade or sell out.

I learned all this stuff in the last 3-4 months during my search. Take your time, make some reasonable offers, and you'll get a good deal too. If you're the type of person who wants a brand spankin new whatever, then just be aware that you'll lose 25%, then a few years at 10%, then it levels off.

So what's the moral to this diatribe??? Buy used, and keep it stock.

Just my 2 cents, better make that 10 cents.

REV

Old 01-22-2004, 11:43 AM
Trailblazer

hey thomar, My dealer here in alaska is selling the 04 400I 4X4 with manual shifter for 5099. with a 4 year extended warranty and everything out the door i paid 6000 total. so maybe he will be willing to go down if you tell him there are dealerships that are selling at lower prices and they are all the way in Alaska.....

Old 01-22-2004, 12:19 PM
Trailblazer

So Rev, what about that 03 2x4 400 for 3600? Average is 3620 I think and low is 2700

Old 01-22-2004, 02:27 PM
Trailblazer

I paid $5275 for my 04 400i 4x4 manual shift. Paid cash for the $69 winch.

Old 01-22-2004, 03:56 PM
Range Rover

Hi Thomar

I forget, did that 03 have a warranty? if it did, it might not be a bad deal. Was it at the dealer that you trust?? If so, you're buying around high book, which is OK if its clean, and you trust the dealer. Dealers can get high book for clean machines with warranties. Make sure they go over it, change the oil, new air filter, etc.

It sure beats 5K or whatever they charge for one new. This way what can you lose in a couple years?? 5 or 6 hundred?? Really not too bad when you consider 2 - 3 K the other way. And believe me, you will most likely want to move up. You'll ride other bikes, maybe a 4X4, maybe a little more power, it just happens.

If this is the one for 3600 with 1 1/2 years warranty left that the guy bought for his son, you'll probably be well advised to give that one a hard look. That is if you're buying all my stories hehe.

Offer 3300, what the heck the most they can say is no ... 3600. If that's the case then you know where you stand.

All in all, a dealer can usually get close to high book.

REV

Old 01-22-2004, 04:45 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Thomar,
One thing that hasnt been covered, is the safety corse that is offered with all new quads. Make sure you sign up and take advantage of the offer. Not only do you learn to be safe, you meet new people in your area, who share your new interests. I personaly dont have a problem with people who reponsibly give their kids a ride. No scaring, no daredevil stuff, no technical stuff. Have them sit in front of you. And it is legal, here in mn, to ride with your kid, as long as they wear a helmet.

Old 01-22-2004, 05:01 PM
Trailblazer

Rev-
OK my husband went and looked at the 03, caca!!! The dealer is a jerk and the guy selling it also. The dealer is doing it consignment so they are not willing to budge on the price. Now the guy in Utah has 02 375 that were used as rentals. He said (and this is the guy I am looking to buy from) that the bikes maybe have 100-200 miles on them. You know that they have been serviced in fact his guy was out doing it as I was talking to him. He is asking 3400 for them and not willing to deal as I asked if he was firm. I think 3400 was the higher end of the book. Back to the 03, my husband said when he looked underneath there was some duct tape holding something and bolts had been jolted loose, tires 50% at the best and it was not a happening machine. So no to that. I will just keep looking. Hondabuster thanks for the advice. Our friends took the course and really learned a lot. I took a course back in Oregon where we are from to get my motorcycle endorsment and the class was excellent. I will look into that. Hey Rev did you get your bike yet??? I am jealous!!!

Old 01-22-2004, 06:40 PM
Range Rover

Quick Reply: Want some feedback