Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Want some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want some feedback

Hey there-
Wanted to pick some brains out there regarding the AC. We have a friend who has a 2002 2x4 375 auto and 2003 400 4x4 auto. After riding his, doing research I seem to like them the best with the independent suspesion and all that. Now my question is, it primarily going to driven by me, so what's not to say that I couldn't get a 250 instead of the gusto? My husband has a dirt bike and he's going to stick with that. I was thinking if he ever wanted to ride it go for the bigger one, but if it's just me what's not to say that the 250 won't be enough. I am mainly going to be doing trail riding, exploring type stuff, and then some trail riding. Let me know what you guys think I would appreciate it.
Thanks
Marla

Old 01-20-2004, 12:02 AM
Range Rover

Buy the 400 (at least) now ... save yourself the loss on the 250 (and the 350, etc) ... your husband will buy an ATV anyway ... trust me !

If you can, get a 4X4 first. There's a lot of money to be lost trading up ... 2 or 3 times.

REVHIGH

Old 01-20-2004, 01:10 AM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the feedback, it's very helpful. I was told that the 2x4 pretty much can go anywhere a 4x4 can, unless you are climbing really steep terrain or in a lot of mud or snow. You think a 4x4 is necessary for me, or the type of riding I am going to do? We want to do this once, not "oh I think I want to upgrade..." down the road type of deal.
Thanks

Old 01-20-2004, 03:02 AM
Extreme Pro Rider

I disagree, you should get what you want and not worry about what others want. After riding 400s, 500s, 650s and even a 700 Polaris; I went with a 250 2X4 because I'm old enough to not go into this "more power" trip so many are on. I don't go in for the real rough terrain, even when hunting. Anyway so far I've gone everywhere the rest of the quads have gone, including some very steep sand dunes and gravel pits. I just get a better(faster) run at it. I get better fuel economy and range and I stay up with the bigger machines on the trails, in the snow and on logging roads. The only time they can run away from me is on the flat and straight roads and who care, the trail or road always ends or turns.

Old 01-20-2004, 10:38 AM
Pro Rider

I say go for the 250, but get a 4x4. The 250 will take you were you want to go and get you back. I recomend 4x4 so that you don't have to really get some speed up to go up short steep hills, like stream banks. I also don't think the 400 has that much more hp, just more torque, so it wouldn't make much of a differance for trail ridding. The 400s are also noisier. You'll enjoy whatever you get though.

Old 01-20-2004, 02:39 PM
Pro Rider

i say the 250 4x4, for trail riding that would be the perfect machine, nice huge gas tank with great fuel economy, i have 500 4x4 now that we use for work around the farm, but this spring im gona add a 250 to the mix for when we go trail riding i think youwould be greatly happy with this machine, and if you ever need it to do a little grunt work, just shift into low or super low and you will have plenty of torque to get it done

Old 01-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I've never had to get a run at anything except the real big ones and the bigger rigs are hitting then fairly fast also. On trails the worst I have had to do is to get into low range and grunt my way up a bank in low low. Maybe once 4X4 would have made it easier but 4X4 cost a bunch more than 2X4 for as rarely as you use it. I'd get a winch before 4X4. In fact just installed one on my AC250 2X4, got the accessory kit with it so I am ready to pull myself out of whatever I might get into when alone. Also will work for getting game out of the holes and ravines they seem to fall into. When you are with a group there is never an issue with getting up or out of anything, everyone always helps.

Old 01-20-2004, 04:58 PM
Trailblazer

Thank you all for you input, it is great help. Are the 250 that much less? Will my husband be able to ride it? Seems like you guys don't have a problem getting around on it. Could I put one of those seats on the back rack? Sorry to bombard you all with so many questions, but I want to do it right, once!!! I had a 650 yamaha street bike and people told me I would want to upgrade to one more powerful. Hello, let me draw a picture, I am a woman about 105lbs, I DO NOT need more power[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img] I want something I can ride with the kids on and explore!!

Old 01-20-2004, 06:01 PM
Range Rover

OK, OK, don't get the 400, but get the 4X4. Also, you just mentioned seats for 2 up riding, and your husband is now riding it too. If that's the case, a 250 is not enough. Call some dealers and ask what class machines are most in demand ... he'll tell you the 400 - 500 class I'm sure. 4 dealers told me the same thing. I bought a 250 Beartracker 2WD for my 10 year old daughter, and I ride it, but it's not that much fun. I'm getting a 2002 500 Auto 4X4 ACT leftover for $4300 + tax with a 2 year warranty, pick it up Thursday. Deals are out there if you're willing to be patient and accept a leftover or demo. To me saving $2500+ off MSRP is worth the 2 model year old demo with full 2 year warranty and only 50 miles. My dealer has 2 more of these leftovers at slightly more money. I've seen 400's go for lots more than the leftover 500 I'm getting for 4300.

The 2001 beartracker in showroom condition cost me 1900 OTD. The tires still had the colored stripes in the tread it was used so little. Dealers fairly give these little used machines away, since so many people trade up within the first year or so. If you're convinced on a 250, buy a late model year used (00, 01, 02), that way you won't get hammered when (if) you upgrade. You can dump these little 250's in a day by putting them in your front yard with a for sale sign on them. You won't lose a dime if you don't buy it new.

Back to the 250. Drive it, then drive the next few up, and decide if the difference in price warrants your money. As I said, buying too small means you'll lose at trade in time AND still have to buy the bigger bike. So if you lose 1000, add that 1000 to the cost of the bike you trade to. Now that 4500 400 or whatever costs you 5500. Of course you can justify it by saying you got 1000 worth of use too.

Like a dealer just told me, buy right the first time and cry once.

Old 01-20-2004, 06:06 PM
Range Rover

One final note, some posters say a 2X4 can go anywhere a 4X4 can, I'd seriously like to see that. They must be riding on power line trails or something. I just rode my 500 at the dealers, and it climbed a snow covered small hill like nothing, I know my Beartracker couldn';t do it. Riding in snow is lots of fun.

Quick Reply: Want some feedback