Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Want some feedback

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 06:49 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Want some feedback

Maria,

4x4's require more upper body strength to turn and some women, depending on their physical size, complain they get tired driving the 4x4's. The nature of the front wheels being driven is that they always want to self-center (go straight) and it takes more effort to turn them.

Also, 2x4s usually have better suspension (not always) . In general, I find 2x4's to be more relaxful in terms of ease of riding. Now if you're going to be mudding all the time or riding in mountains or rock, I'd recommend a 4x4. If not, go with the 2x4 and you'll be much happier.

You'll also need to decide if you want an automatic or want to shift.

Old 01-22-2004, 06:50 PM
Range Rover

Actually, no. I called the dealer and he said he wouldn't be done on it until 5:00. I had to go to the dentist and had a tooth filled. Now it hurts so damn much I haven't been interested in getting it today (the tylenol with codeine are nice though hehe). I'll get it tommorrow morning. It's snowing in PA right now anyway, so I'll just wait till tommorrow AM

I'll keep you guys informed when I get it...

I guess theres no warranty on the 02's. I wouldn't be afraid of them just because they're rentals, most people would be very cautious iif they were renting for fear of getting hurt. And anyone who already has one and knows how to ride really aggressively wouldn't be renting one, so they're probably gently driven with a guide. I guess I could be wrong, but you caould look at them and see how they look.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:18 PM
Trailblazer

Rev-
Funny you should talk about your teeth, I use to be a dental assistant, until we moved down here to Vegas 6 months ago. So I can empathize with your pain!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img] Sorry to hear it's given you trouble. I think we might head towards the rental thing. He has 7, he's keeping 3 for himself and selling the rest. So why would he keep junk? He said we could come and pick the best one out of them. Whenever I have rented things snowmobiles, waverunners I treat them as if they are my own, careful, but knowing they have my credit card on file and if you break it you buy it type of thing. So it sounds like a descent deal. Although he is not moving on the price cause he paid cash for them and the rental business wasn't very good for him. Hang in there with your tooth.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:28 PM
Trailblazer

dbeck-
thanks for the info in regards to the 2by and the 4. I tend to be leaning towards the 2 just because of the type of riding I will be doing which will not be in the snow, mud (very rarely if at all) and definetly going with the auto.

Old 01-22-2004, 07:49 PM
Range Rover

Good Choices Thomar !!

400 Auto 2X4 ... nuttin wrong wit dat !!!! Pick the nicest one out of the pack.

3400 seems OK I guess ... will he give you any warranty at all???? Even 3 months???

See if he'll do that for the $3400 ... if he's confident of the machines, he should have no problem. He is an AC dealer right??

REV

Old 01-22-2004, 09:50 PM
Trailblazer

Crap I just erased everything I wrote!!! What I said was I found a 2000 500 4x4 manual for 3600, the guy is a guide in Utah and is trading it in on a 650, of course!!! He bought it from this dealer and has had it serviced there twice a year. The dealer said he would be in contact with me. It is below average retail. The dealer also has an 03 500 4x4 auto demo with 60miles for 5200, still below average but still a bit steep. Now the manual doesn't bother me too much cause I know how to shift, but I have heard that people like the auto especially going down a steep hill. We'll see

Old 01-22-2004, 10:01 PM
Range Rover

Hey Thomar

That 2000 sounds good !!! You could keep that for 3 years and probably sell it within 500 of what you paid. The manual is as good or better than an auto in descending hills. Don't worry about that if you can live with a manual. Is it close to you so you can go see it? It will have the ACT suspension (not IRS), but that's OK, my 02 has ACT too. It may not have the big ground clearance numbers, but it's more stable at speed. I've also heard that the 500's have far more torque than the 400's, but quickness and top speed will be about the same.

If it's in good shape I might strike at that one. Of course politely offer a few (read 200) bucks less. If he says yes, buy !!

REV

Old 01-22-2004, 10:06 PM
Trailblazer

He's about 4 hours away, I will do my best assesment over the phone and see what it sounds like, tires, cracks, leaks, blah, blah, blah and then hopefully we can make a day run out of it! That's encouraging that it sounds like a good price, but you would offer 200 less?

Old 01-22-2004, 10:07 PM
Range Rover

Thomar,

See, the more you know, the better the deals get that you can find. The tricky thing is knowing when to STRIKE !!!!! If you find a good one at least leave a deposit if you want to think about it overnight, just ask that the deposit is refundable. Most dealers will gladly hold a machine for 24 hours with a deposit.

REV

Old 01-22-2004, 10:09 PM
Range Rover

Sure!!!

It's better that the 200 is in your pocket than his, right??? That will leave you a little leeway for any minor repairs or a new set of tires

REV

Quick Reply: Want some feedback