Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

What tires do you recommend?

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What tires do you recommend?

The only thing that sold me was the weight of the tire. I cn spin them in deep thick nasty stuff and at the same time if you need them to grip...trust me they will grip..they have deep aggressive lugs just like most of the leading tires. sometimes those big nasty agressive lugs can get you in trouble.. if you know what I mean. Just buy a tire that suits your needs,and your motor.

Old 02-06-2004, 08:00 PM
Pro Rider

The Mudlites aren't that much lighter than Gators. the 27x12-12's are 4 lbs lighter than Gators (28lbs versus 32lbs).

The only downfall with the lites, is they have a softer compound, and they wear faster.

Old 02-06-2004, 09:17 PM
Pro Rider

mud lites dont look evan close to the gators.
and as for them waring iv got 1800 miles on my gators and thayve got hardly any ware on them.
i dont know how the lites will hold up.

Old 02-06-2004, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

well i will say this much. I have had mudzillas, i have riden with vampires. I have riden with outlaws. i have ridden with edls, you name it I have riden with it... I LIKE THE MUDLITES. They dont seem like much. but you better watch out if you are ever up against them. They will sure fool ya. EVERY One laughed at me when i showed up with the lites on my rims. but I had the last laugh... we ride with any where from 30 to 60 bikes. MAybe its just the CAT, but my mudlites are staying until something better comes along

ANd yes 4 lbs makes a huge difference. Somewhere on theis arctic cat forum there is an old topic that was posted about how much HP is lost or gained from 1lb of wheel weight. BELIEVE ME IT DOES MAKE A DIFFERENCE!!

But All the mentioned tires are a good selection. Im not partial to any of them. I just know what my tires will do and untill something better comes aong. im staying with my lites.. I have been up against all the popular brands including the gators. Yes the gator is a great tire. but you lose HP with them.

im out

CAT

Old 02-06-2004, 10:41 PM
Pro Rider

You don't lose HP with heavier tires, it just takes them longer to spin up to the HP for a certain speed, and takes more power to get them moving. They are just a rotating mass. By going lighter, it "seems" like you have more power, just because it allows the engine to rev up faster. But pick any given speed, and rpm, and light tires or heavy tires doesn't make a difference (at steady state).

So, you lose acceleration, not HP. The only way you lose HP is going to a bigger tire. You need to change the gear ratio (via gears or tire size) to change HP numbers.

Old 02-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

i think you got your wires crossed.
just read your last comment.
you loose acceleration not hp. the only way you loose hp is by going to a bigger tire.
i think you contridicted your self.

Old 02-07-2004, 02:06 PM
Pro Rider

yeap yeap your right my appologies... I meant... you dont have the low end grunt you once had.and yes it requires more and more power to turn those heavier tires, which will often leave you being pulled by a polaris or worse...a honda

Old 02-07-2004, 02:36 PM
Pro Rider

thats right you dont loose hp.
it just takes more hp to do what it did with smaller tires.

Old 02-07-2004, 06:21 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: mudblaster
i think you got your wires crossed.
just read your last comment.
you loose acceleration not hp. the only way you loose hp is by going to a bigger tire.
i think you contridicted your self.

No, if you go bigger, you lose HP to the ground. Picking a tire that's the same size, but heavier won't make you lose HP. That's what I meant. Maybe it didn't come out right. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2004, 09:48 AM
Weekend Warrior

Hey Wires,

I'm thinking of putting Dirt Devils on my AC 650, and I see you have em on already.

I was wondering if you could tell me how they ride on pavement, and if they wear well?
I am also wondering what size you put on yours?

Thanks

Quick Reply: What tires do you recommend?