Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Holeshots on 650?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2004, 10:24 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Holeshots on 650?

Well I bought a new AC 650 MRP, lime green! I went riding last Sunday, and had problems with tires on the front rolling under. I have aired the tires on the front to 6.5 psi, which helped some, but it's still not the way I want it.

I am wondering if any of you other 650 owners have tried the Holeshot ATR's. I have read that they are very good tires, but I am also wondering that if because they are still a radial tire, If they will roll under just like the stock radials?

I am also wondering what you replaced your stockers with, and what kind of results you have received from them.

Thanks

Old 02-07-2004, 11:39 AM
Trailblazer

I noticed the same thing, I am worried about punctures also. I was thinking about itp 589's or mudlights, Holeshots are traditionally a racing tire..... What ply rating do the goodyears have?

Old 02-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Weekend Warrior

The holeshot ATR's are the radial utility version of the race proven original.

I personally do not ride in mud that often. Most of the riding I do is on very hard to medium terrain, but I do get into some sand. That is why I thought the ATR might be the tire to buy. Although the dirt devil's are starting to sound more appealing. I just need something that will wear well, ride nice on hard pack (asphalt), and grip descent in slightly rocky, sandy conditions, and turn better than the stock tires. (I'm probably asking a little too much!) Any help is appreciated.

Old 02-07-2004, 11:07 PM
Pro Rider

I have Holeshot ATR on my Prairie and they are much more stable and comfortable at high speed and at turning then my original tires. The tire wear is excellent. Those tires have had a hard time (spinning in rocky terrain hill climing, pavement, gravel, etc and they don't wear). In snow, they are excellent. In the mud okay. In deep mud so so, but I only ride in deep mud on very few occassions. They are light thus consume less power and gas then other heavier mud tires. They are the high performance tires of the 4wd ATV. And if you asked, my next tires are probably going to be Holeshot ATR![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-08-2004, 12:14 PM
Pro Rider

I answered NORYCE's other post, but did not comment on the ATR's, or the radial Big Horns, both of which are excellent tires... I race hare scrambles in the utility class with my highly modified Prairie... most of the competitive quads in this class are running one of these three tires... ITP ATR's, Maxxis Alltraks, or radial Big Horns... the Alltraks are only rated as a 2 ply tire, but the must be way thicker plys, as I've never seen one go flat during a race... The Alltraks & ATR's run a little short on the O.D., the Alltraks only measuring 24"... The Big Horns, are by far the most aggressive & best looking tire in this group, It is the tire that Kawi sponsed Mike Pendland uses for GNCC racing... I know of some racers that have switched from the ATR's, back to the Alltraks, because of the pressure required to keep the tires from "rolling over" on hard corners...

Old 02-08-2004, 12:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Thanks for the info! The "rolling over" effect that the radial tires have is just what I'm trying to remedy on my AC 650. This thing sets up high and probably needs a tire with strong side walls for good cornering and handling. I am also contemplating buying some rims with an offset for more width. I hope they make them in my bolt pattern!

Thanks again.

Old 02-08-2004, 01:13 PM
Pro Rider

DFARMER... you would be probably fine with any of these tires, as the guy's that are "rolling over" the ATR's are top competitors, & really flying into the corners... I have a set myself, & IMO, they work excellent... they may require 4-6 psi, but I personally like them... the MTR's are rated as a 26" tire, & while the fronts run short, they are still taller than the Big Horns, or the ATR's, & the longer the radial sidewall, the more of this "rolling over" effect, you will notice... What is the bolt pattern on the 650 Cat ??? ... the ITP C series wheels, come with a 1" wider than stock offset, so provided they offer them in your bolt pattern, they may be right up your alley... the Big Horns, by far have the strongest ( most firm ), of sidewalls, of these listed tires...

Old 02-09-2004, 01:11 AM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: dfarmer
Well I bought a new AC 650 MRP, lime green! I went riding last Sunday, and had problems with tires on the front rolling under. I have aired the tires on the front to 6.5 psi, which helped some, but it's still not the way I want it.

I am wondering if any of you other 650 owners have tried the Holeshot ATR's. I have read that they are very good tires, but I am also wondering that if because they are still a radial tire, If they will roll under just like the stock radials?

I am also wondering what you replaced your stockers with, and what kind of results you have received from them.

Thanks

I had the same problem, and replaced mine with GBC Dirt Devils XT. What an amazing difference! You can go places in 2wd that you'd need locked 4wd before.

It does ride a little rougher on the hard pack though.