Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Are all AC this way?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2004, 01:24 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Are all AC this way?

Today, I got to ride a few of the ATVs I am considering buying. The first two were the AC650 and the AC500 auto. I could definately tell the difference in the power of the two although both had more than I needed. I noted something that kind of turned me off on them though. The throttle seemed very stiff and when you finally put enough pressure on it to start moving, it lurched forward. Then as you would slowly let off to slow, it slowed immediately. It was as I either dumped a clutch or slammed on a brake. Felt like riding with someone who drives a car riding one foot on the gas and one on the brake, if you know the feeling. It was difficult to regulate a slow speed very smoothly. The AC500 was similar but not to the extreme of the 650.

Then later I rode a Grizzly and it was much easier to regulate the speed. Smoother and lighter throttle pressure was noticed immediately. Plenty of punch if I wanted it but very easy to slowly inch forward or back as needed, unlike the AC.

Is this the way all AC ATVs are? Will they loosen up and get smoother as they break in? Or is it just something you get used to? This was rather upsetting as I was otherwise very impressed with many of the AC features.

I will ride a Prairie 700 tomorrow. I may also hit a different AC dealer to see if I have the same results in regards to the throttle.

Old 02-19-2004, 11:16 AM
Pro Rider

So sure what you mean about a stiff throttle, when you let off then the engine braking comes on, but the same thing happens on the grizz. On thing that might be giving you this feeling is that the shocks are set to light, at lots of dealers the shocks are on the lowest setting, the machine noses up on acceleration and nose dives on deacceleration. The 650 is a completely different machine in the engine and trans department verses the 500.

Old 02-19-2004, 11:38 AM
Pro Rider

I've not driven a Cat, only the Honda and a few others over the years. Might be the ratio of throttle movement to carb butterfly movement. If it only takes a little motion of the thumb to go from idle to full throttle, it's not going to be smooth and easy to regulate. The Honda is smooth as silk, as are anything else I've ridden. Can you tell I'm not a Cat fan?..lol Good luck, see how the dealer "feels".. Is he/she going to be helpful and listen to your problems, or does he just want your money and then a lovely view of you and the new machine going out the front door??

Old 02-19-2004, 04:29 PM
Pro Rider

I just got back from a different AC dealer( from the one I visited yesterday) and rode a 650 he had in stock. World of difference in the throttle. His 650 was easy to ride and didn't have the erratic throttle of the ones at the other dealer. Smooth acceleration and easy to crawl too.

I mentioned this to the 2nd dealer and he said the unit I rode had only been there a few weeks. He said AC had been working on the limp mode problem and the new units being shipped were already fixed. He felt the erratic throttle situation on the other dealer's 650 could be something to do with either improper adjustment and/or it was an earlier model that didn't have the fix yet.

Either way, it obviously was something that isn't consistant with all AC650s. Made me feel better since I really liked riding it otherwise. The 650 motor is quite a bit smoother than the Yamaha 660 but that is to be expected.

He had a used Prairie sitting there so I got to ride it too. Damn it's fast and it was just a '02 650. I can see where folks love the handling and speed of the Kaw. But it did sacrifice seat and ride comfort. If I was a lot younger, I think I would be crazy enough to want the Kaw!

Also rode a new Rubicon. Really handles well and turns quick. I love the tranny in the Rubicon over any other made. But the Rubi was definately the rough rider of the bunch. Dealer was telling me of an aftermarket mod that allows the usual full time 4wd to disengage the front to 2wd with the flip of a lever. About $400 and he said they have installed them before without problems.

Now it's down to the Grizzly and the AC650. Getting prices from a bunch of dealers to see who gets my business this weekend.

Old 02-19-2004, 04:43 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Sounds like you are doing a lot of good research into finding the best ATV for you. Good job. If you are looking for some more comparisons in the Grizzly and the AC 650 goto the "buying an ATV" fourm (I think that is the one) and there is a few pages on the differences. However, just make sure you get the one for your needs. And make sure you goto the best dealer who will stand behind your ATV. That is what really matters. Let us know what you get!

Old 02-19-2004, 04:49 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

Sorry, it is not in the "buying an ATV" section, it is in "Utility ATV's".

Old 02-20-2004, 09:02 AM
Pro Rider

Update:

Lots of research, pencil pushing, phone calls, comparisons, etc. This morning I will call the AC dealer and tell him to get it ready, I am bringing the checkbook.

Tough decision as I liked the Grizzly alot too. Both had sufficient capacities, more power than I need, handling, ground capacity, comfort, and ride to satisfy my needs in a utility. But, with an out the door price difference of only $260 more, I felt there was more to offer with the AC in other features that offset the price.

With the AC, the things that made the difference were the much smoother 650 twin, bigger standard tires, MRP racks, Receiver hitch, and 2 yr warranty vs only 6 mo. I actually liked the looks of the Grizzly better, liked the gauge readout better, slightly better seat, and the separate front and rear brake levers. But the things I really liked about the AC were more important to me overall than the things that I really liked on the Grizzly.

I am sure I could buy the Grizz and be very happy. But longterm, the AC just seems to fit the needs and uses my wife and I want one for.

Thanks to all the folks on this forum for all the good advice and suggestions. Even some seemingly not so good suggestions were of value because often they made me think of little things I hadn't thought of myself. And in comparing the final two ATVs, the little things were what made the difference.

As for being able to keep up with my friends with ATVS- a Polaris Expedition, Honda Foreman ES, AC 500, Polaris Sportsman 500- I shouldn't have any trouble on the trails or hauling hunting gear.

Now to start planning for vacation. Really considering Moab or Piute Trail in Utah......

I'm excited.
[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 02-20-2004, 11:01 AM
Range Rover

i just watched the atv tv show on wednesdaynight.
he had the ac650

he gave it good reviews and said he loved it......now for doug myers to say that.......it means alot.
they have always put ac atv's down in the past but for the ac650.....thumbs up

Old 02-20-2004, 11:53 AM
Range Rover

i would suggest the ac it has so many more features.

Old 02-20-2004, 08:41 PM
Pro Rider

good luck with your 650, another thing about the warranty, i have heard rumors of the yamaha warranty departments customer service leaves a bit to be desired