Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC650 vs Polaris 500 trail test

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2004, 09:32 PM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC650 vs Polaris 500 trail test

Wife and I just got back from SE Oklahoma near Battiest after 3 days of riding. Our friend offered his '01 Polaris Sportsman 500 so we wouldn't have to ride double on our AC. We put on about 160 miles total and would switch off riding both machines each day. Got to push both a little and see where they excelled and where they fell short.

Overall:
The AC really shined on flat out acceleration and the ability to climb over logs, deep mud holes, nasty rutted and washout trails, even in 2wd. This thing was a beast in the nasty stuff. Torque monster!

The Polaris handles the smoother trails better, cushier ride, flatter and quicker turning. I could easily control slide the Polaris. It seemed to be a sportier handling machine but it does sit lower too. I felt a novice rider would be more at ease on the Polaris.

Dislikes:

AC- Turning and handling seemed to nose dive and slide the front end. Increased PSI in the front tires helped but still not to where I felt comfy pushing it much. Feels squirrely at speed. I think some shock tuning and new tires may be needed to help this out. Ringing tone in the exhaust. Loud tranny whine. Slings mud and water all over the rider( I know some guys like this). Really have to stand on the foot brake to get it to lock for sliding purposes. Occasional hard start when cold.

Polaris: Cheap gauge pod. No fuel gauge. Seat is a bit too wide and caused cramps in the hip joints. Small rear rack. Ground clearance not that great. Shift lever always grinds shifting the gears and what genius at Polaris decided it needed to be on the right side? Engine clatter sounds like a lawn mower. Foot rests clog up with mud easy. Brakes lock easily-sometimes too easily. Had to put into 4wd to climb over stuff the AC went over in 2wd.

They both had good and not so good traits. I actually ended up with a better impression of the Polaris than I initially thought I would have. It was fun to ride, in spite of the quirks. And I learned how my AC acts and reacts in varied terrain. I think in a point A to point B race, the Polaris would win if the trail was fast or curvy. The AC would win if it got rough and nasty. Both were a blast in their own unique ways.

But I am glad I got the Cat.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Just my opinion.

Craig

Old 03-08-2004, 10:23 PM
Pro Rider

Originally posted by: SPD522
Wife and I just got back from SE Oklahoma near Battiest after 3 days of riding. Our friend offered his '01 Polaris Sportsman 500 so we wouldn't have to ride double on our AC. We put on about 160 miles total and would switch off riding both machines each day. Got to push both a little and see where they excelled and where they fell short.

Overall:
The AC really shined on flat out acceleration and the ability to climb over logs, deep mud holes, nasty rutted and washout trails, even in 2wd. This thing was a beast in the nasty stuff. Torque monster!

The Polaris handles the smoother trails better, cushier ride, flatter and quicker turning. I could easily control slide the Polaris. It seemed to be a sportier handling machine but it does sit lower too. I felt a novice rider would be more at ease on the Polaris.

Dislikes:

AC- Turning and handling seemed to nose dive and slide the front end. Increased PSI in the front tires helped but still not to where I felt comfy pushing it much. Feels squirrely at speed. I think some shock tuning and new tires may be needed to help this out. Ringing tone in the exhaust. Loud tranny whine. Slings mud and water all over the rider( I know some guys like this). Really have to stand on the foot brake to get it to lock for sliding purposes. Occasional hard start when cold.

Polaris: Cheap gauge pod. No fuel gauge. Seat is a bit too wide and caused cramps in the hip joints. Small rear rack. Ground clearance not that great. Shift lever always grinds shifting the gears and what genius at Polaris decided it needed to be on the right side? Engine clatter sounds like a lawn mower. Foot rests clog up with mud easy. Brakes lock easily-sometimes too easily. Had to put into 4wd to climb over stuff the AC went over in 2wd.

They both had good and not so good traits. I actually ended up with a better impression of the Polaris than I initially thought I would have. It was fun to ride, in spite of the quirks. And I learned how my AC acts and reacts in varied terrain. I think in a point A to point B race, the Polaris would win if the trail was fast or curvy. The AC would win if it got rough and nasty. Both were a blast in their own unique ways.

But I am glad I got the Cat.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Just my opinion.

Craig
Now you need to compare it to the Sp600 or 700! Better tires, NEARLY as much ground Clearance!! Would be alot different!!!

Old 03-09-2004, 09:47 AM
Trailblazer

Different rubber and some shock adjustment really change the handling on the Cat- much less dive and more positive feel.

Old 03-09-2004, 12:25 PM
Pro Rider

Suggestions on shock adjustments? They are set in the middle all around right now. Also, I have been considering Mudlites to improve grip.

I don't have a problem with the stock Goodyear Rawhide MTRs on the rear. It's the fronts that need help. Anyone just change out the front tires?

Old 03-09-2004, 03:49 PM
Pro Rider

Shift lever always grinds shifting the gears and what genius at Polaris decided it needed to be on the right side?

I agree that the lever is a POS, but I like it on the right side because when your shifting your not on the gas but sometimes need to be holding the brake. Happens to me allot when I'm out exploring and I start down a hill and then decide I need to back up and take a different line, hold brakes, reach over and shift with your right hand on the left side of the machine, now that sucks. Why did AC have to put the shifter on the left side? It's just wrong.

Old 03-09-2004, 06:31 PM
Pro Rider

1wook,

I see your point but I have been in that situation and just stood on the foot brake while shifting. Plus I can be ready to feather the throttle. Guess there is more than one way to do everything and that's why they make them different. Still, the gear grinding and rocking the lever sucks on the Polaris when I can shift back and forth with two fingers on the shifter with the AC and no gear grinding. The Polaris shifter reminded me of a '66 Chevy PU with a 3 speed I used to have.

Old 03-10-2004, 12:29 AM
Cub
Trailblazer

SPD522, I just got my new MudBugs on my 650 and it made all the difference in the world! No more wandering front end...no more mushy turning....now its point and shoot! its a shame to have to change the stockers out like that but I am glad I didn't wait!!!!!!!!!!![img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]