Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Do I have open differentials?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Do I have open differentials?

I haven't had time to get this new Cat out in the woods yet. Can someone explain to me how the differentials on this machine work? I understand how they work on a truck, but I'm not sure about the ATV world. Someone said my rear end is always locked and will spin both tires always, but the front end is open and will only spin one tire if there's resistance. Can anyone verify this for me? I'm still learning. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-blush.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2004, 07:18 PM
Pro Rider

its basically an open diff. its not a limited slip,its junk to tell you the truth. I did a post a while back last year, explaining the problem with the diff. I know it inside and out. trust me I love my cat and would not dare talk bad about it,BUT the diff is the worst on any bike out there. try and doo a search in this forum for Arctic cat front diff. or cat front diff, or even by my name CATKRAZY. you will read how it works

good luck

Old 03-11-2004, 08:51 PM
Trailblazer

I did the search but didn't find much. So the Arctic Cat front diff. is not very reliable? Are their aftermarket limited slip front diffs out there for these? If I ever have trouble with mine I'll just replace it with aftermarket if there are any available. What exactly seems to be the common issues with the front diffs. on these?

Old 03-11-2004, 09:46 PM
Pro Rider

That is correct - rear is always locked, front on the cats is not, it's a 3 wheel drive, with power going to the wheel with the least resistance. If you're trail riding in the woods, you'll probably never notice the difference between 3 wheel drive, limited slip or selectable lock.

Just another perspective - I've had my 500i for about two years. No problems with the front diff, or the axles, or anything, and that's hauling trailer loads of hardwood - 500+ pounds - across some fairly rough ground. Only casualties in two years have been a fouled spark plug and a headlight bulb - branch came up under the fender and knocked it off.

Be aware that the hardcore mud riders break a lot of parts that most of the rest of us don't. Mud riding strains the daylights out of a quad, from the increased stress on the drivetrain, to the mud getting into moving parts and accelerating wear. Any quad breaks parts under those circumstances, not just the cat. You may hear more about cats in that respect, because they tend to be mud rider favorites due to the very high ground clearance.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:18 PM
Pro Rider

I've had no trouble of any kind with either of my AC front diffs and neither has anyone else I know. They work just fine, and the machines go easily where others struggle in spite of an open diff on the 375. With a suspension that keeps all 4 on the ground, it is less of an issue.

Old 03-11-2004, 11:23 PM
Trailblazer

OK thanks a lot for the info. guys! I plan to keep it serviced regularly, so hopefully it'll be a trouble-free machine. Thanks! [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 03-11-2004, 11:26 PM
Pro Rider

John O

You hit the nail on the head when you talked about ridding style.

I have been through 2 open diffs,due to it not being able to decide which side to send the power to. the spiders inside are so weak that they break the teeths off sending a tooth doen to the bottom of the diff housing. Once it gets there it will get caught up in the ring gear and the tooth then hits the drain plug causing it to sever and resulting in a hole in your diff. This is actually when i decided to lock mine and have not seen anything but the beast unleash that is inside these bikes. As far as people on this board saying they can go places no others can, well that is a matter of opinion and ridding style. The AC front stock diff, is absolutely terrible.

FYI I also sent my findings to AC and submitted it to the research and development team. I sat down and talked on the phone with the lead designer or what ever and talked about the diff and the weakness of the cast spiders gears. he even said they have had numous complaints on the ring gears breaking and knocking a hole in the housing. WHen he asked how i had come to figure this out, I told him after 2 ring gears and modifying my gear oil drain, i broke another open diff spider gear but this time it did not take a chunk out of the housing.

Old 03-12-2004, 12:44 PM
Pro Rider

catcrazy - glad to hear you giving AC some feedback. There is one nasty spot on my farm where the front diff causes me grief. Coming up a steep creekbank, one front wheel gets off the ground. If I have a trailer load of hardwood behind me, it just spins. No limited slip - you can haul on the brakes all you want, and that wheel just spins. Back down and find an easier path. Haven't bothered to do anything about the diff, because it's just that one spot that causes me problems.

In all fairness, that's a pretty tough test, without the trailer the cat crawls right through that place, and most quads wouldn't even get that far - they'd high center in the creek. The Cat is about all I take over those trails any more (still have a big bear, but I only ride it when I'm in a bad mood), so I haven't bothered to clear the trails any more than I have to. Lots of big limestone rocks. Consequently, when a local motormouth on his live axle, brag about, brand x (okay, brand H) quad came down for a ride, he didn't get past the first washout. I knew what that gulley was like, and it was kind of a sucker punch, but I couldn't resist.