Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC 400 pulling power

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2004, 01:28 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC 400 pulling power

I am thinking of getting a AC 400 ACT and I was wondering how the pulling power will be. It has a high and low range and a manual transmission. I imagine in low range and first gear it should pull a heavy load? I will be using it to pull some very heavy moose in northern BC. Anyone have experience with this bike and pulling power?

Old 03-17-2004, 01:50 PM
Pro Rider

My friend has one and it pulls realy good, no moose with it yet but have pulled heavy trailers to moose camp. Does that count? I was realy impressed with the AC 400, it handles realy well and is great in the mud. I also like the wide stance of it, very stable. AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-17-2004, 02:28 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I have the auto, and love it. I too will be using it to pull moose. Just got it late last fall so I have not had a chance to yet. It has plenty of power for me, I am not going to win many speed races, but that is not why I bought it. But to answers your question, I have no doubts to its ability to pull moose or anything else.

Old 03-17-2004, 02:46 PM
Pro Rider

Catt, we seem to hang out on the same threads. AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-17-2004, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

you will find that your machine will have more pulling power than it doesn traction to do the pulling. i have pulled our cultipacker(which is basically a huge heavy steal roller for packing down the dirt in a field after you plant it) and the only problem that i had was spinning on dry grass in 4wd. the 400 and 500 have the same towing capacity and i believe this is only because they arent heavy enuf to pull more. oh yeah and power wise it could have pulled the packer around all day

Old 03-18-2004, 02:17 PM
Got Milk!

That's true AlaskaBoy, however you seem to be in EVER thread!

Old 03-18-2004, 02:25 PM
Pro Rider

Yes that is true. I watch my little ones in the morning and have lots of free time to check out the site. Of course they are low maintence kids right now, it takes them all morning to get dressed to go outside to play. Of course come summer, that will change. AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-18-2004, 02:28 PM
Pro Rider

Catt, in your photos. The one where you said you just rode, is that Wharehouse mountain?AlaskaBoy.

Old 03-18-2004, 06:47 PM
Got Milk!

You have the best job in the world if you get to watch your kids! Lucky you!

That mountain I just rode is actually on the other side of Snakelake mountain, acrossed "Big Valley" if you know where that is. In that picture I am on Snakelake, and looking almost directly at Wherehouse mountain

Old 03-18-2004, 08:31 PM
Pro Rider

My 400 is worked constantly, I pull out firewood every winter with it, usually fairly heavy loads as well. I like the ACT for this, that's why I got it instead of the IRS. I find the towing ability is only limited by the weight of the bike, too heavy a trailer, and it spins out. This is really evident with the stock tires. I just installed 27" Bearclaws on it to give it more bite, and the bike turns them no problem. I haven't been in any real nasty mud or snow yet, but it has plenty of power to turn these tires. I would recommend one in a minute.

Quick Reply: AC 400 pulling power