Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Will 12s rub in the rear?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2004, 12:46 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will 12s rub in the rear?

Bruce;

I am not looking for speed with the AC 300. My question refers more to power and torque loss by going to bigger tires. The bike seems to have good torqe now, did you lose any with the new tires?

Most of my riding is on old logging roads, gravel, mud, rock etc. I find my bike does well in low range with a good combination of power and torque. But a little more ground clearance and a more aggressive tire would really help. How do you find the steering with the 25's on the front?

I am also thinking of putting on a lift kit (shock stiffeners). Any thoughts on how well they work on the 300?

Old 04-01-2004, 03:48 AM
Trailblazer

hi there
i found no differance in performance with the mud lites my buddy wants to get a pair for his 400 all he does is spin all the way up muddy hills i climb with not much spinning did you read what i have on my quad. remember your q on tires try this when you get them on

mark a chalk line verticly on the bottom center of your front and back wheels on one side,then roll your quad till the front tire does a complete 360 and see if the chalk marks are still lined up if not play with your air pressure till there equal.

bruce 63

Old 04-01-2004, 03:52 AM
Trailblazer

sorry the lift kit is great i used the one from auutovan no probs with install at all i think the stiffeners up front would be great tell me where you get them from iv'e been looking for some too. as for the steering there is no change at all.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 04-06-2004, 08:31 PM
Weekend Warrior

just let a little extra air out of the front tires and don't drive it down roads in 4 wheel. good luck

Old 04-06-2004, 11:21 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks for the info Bruce, that is a good tip about the air pressure. I am also wondering about the treadwear on the Mudlites. From the forums it seems that they wear faster than the 589's, and may be prone to cuts in the tread etc.

I meant the lift kit, and said shock stiffeners instead. I don't know of anyone selling them for a 300. From what I understand the lift kit stiffens the springs and improves the ride somewhat. A friend of mine has installed shock stiffeners on a Kodiak 400 when he put 27" Bear Claws on. His bike is very hard to steer, and even small rocks or roots will twist the handlebars right out of your hand.

Old 04-07-2004, 11:53 AM
Trailblazer

I just got done installing a HighLifter lift kit on my new 300 4x4 last night. I got about 1.5" more ground clearance all the way around. The suspension feels firmer now too. And there is ZERO slop or freeplay in the steering now (that can be bad sometimes, and good sometimes). I really like it overall so far, but I haven't had it out on the trails yet. I did ride it a bit to check it out though and it feels like the ATV is more unstable now. That's the one thing I was afraid of. Maybe some wider tires will help that though.