Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

2004 Kawasaki 700 or Arctic Cat 650

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2004, 01:27 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 Kawasaki 700 or Arctic Cat 650

Hello fellow ATV enthusiasts. I am undecided on whether to buy the Kawi 700 or AC 650. The AC has the ground clearance, but is greater clearance safe? Does it compromise the ATV's performance? Much has been said about the fully independant suspension on the AC. Is it better than having the Kawi's suspension? The AC has constant velocity joints on all 4WD models rather than the commonly used U-joints. Does any one know what type of joint the Kawi has? Another factor that has me leaning towards the AC, is the engine and magneto seals. Does Kawi have this feature and can this be modified. I know that the Kawi 700 has the power and speed......what a decision. My use would be for both play and utility, with a little more play than work. It would be used mainly in raw land (36 acres) in South Rim Arizona (elevation 8,200), with temperatures ranging from -9 in winter to high 80's in summer. There are heavy snow falls, winds, and rain in the winter, which translates to severe muddy/snowy conditions. I appeal to those keen ATV experts that have experienced these two machines for your advice and recommendations. Geo

Old 03-26-2004, 02:11 PM
Pro Rider

As you may already know the AC 650 uses Kawasaki's 650 v twin, so when deciding between the 2 it more or less comes down to the suspension, do you want the comfort of IRS. I dont feel any less safe on my IRS than i did on my old Honda 300, infact I feel much more dafe because it can take corners at much higher speeds. Most of the companies use the cv joints now because they require much less maintenance, the kawi has a solid rear axle so there are no joints of any kind back there, I know kawis use struts up front but im not sure if they use cv axles or the only time I rode one was to chase loose cattle, didnt really have time to inspect it. Power wise they are close to the same.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:39 PM
Trailblazer

I had to make the same decision a few months ago. I decided on the AC 650 due to the ground clearance as I will spend a lot of time on the Rubicon where ground clearance is a definite advantage. Last weekend, we found ourselves riding where there were some deep ruts/rocks/logs and confirmed that I made the right choice for the areas I ride in. I think the Kaw would be better for fast fire roads and sliding fun though. Both are great. Pick one and enjoy !!!

Old 03-26-2004, 07:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

I had a Kawie P650(GREAT BIKE)and put 4400 miles on it over 2 1/2 years. Now I have an A.C. 650 and I really like it. The only thing a P700 will give you is some more power. I've never lacked for power with either 650. For what little sportiness you give up with the A. C. the ride more than makes up. One bad thing about the A.C. is the tires are pure junk. I'd try to work a deal with a dealer to upgrade the tires,although you probably won't find a dealer that ever heard anything bad about the A.C. tires. The Kawie also has brakes that are far superior to A.C. Just poke around the forums, make a decision and go for it. Both bikes will make you smile-Have Fun [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2004, 06:07 PM
Trailblazer

Fizzo, can you go into a little more detail about the stock A.C. 650 tires? As the 650 is my first quad, Im not really sure how they are supposed to handle. They seem to provide pretty good traction but it seems to " push " while turning. I'll be riding in some rocky areas ( Rubicon ) as well as dry trail conditions. No mud bogging but will need to handle mud from time to time. Any and all thoughts on how different tires perform would be appreciated. PS I think a six ply will be more rock proof. The soft sidewalls of the stock radials concern me.

Old 04-01-2004, 06:52 PM
Weekend Warrior

Slaghammer;
Most of the trails I ride are hard desert or rocky mountians. I've been to the Paiute Trail and to the Rubicon and I know you will hate the A.C. tires. The reason you "push" is the tires roll over on themselves. They are especially bad descending steep grades that are off camber or washed out. I've ran up to 10psi in them and they were marginally better. The mudlites I put on are 6 ply rated and 4 ply sidewall. The A.C. tires were inner tubes with tread. They have no sidewall strength.
You being in Calif. have the same riding conditions as me. I know it sucks to buy a new quad and have to run right out and buy new tires but you will not be sorry if you do. I personally feel the ATR'S are a death trap waiting to spring. We ride fast but not crazy and I am sure I would crash if I didn't charge. Other people that rode my cat both ways say it's a new quad with the mudlites on. Also there are many other tires that would improve the A.C. Just read around here and other forums for ideas

Old 04-01-2004, 07:02 PM
Trailblazer

Fizzo, thanks for the reply. Does a non radial tire seem a little more precise while turning ? It seems to me the radials seem to just " mush " through a turn due to sidewall flex. Im I correct in thinking that a different tire would make the steering much more responsive ? Thanks again.

Old 04-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Weekend Warrior

Slaghammer[
Night and day[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-wink.gif[/img]

Old 04-01-2004, 09:40 PM
Pro Rider

bias tires will help your steering a ton. My 500 came with stock dunlops that are bias and they steer and handle wonderfully, they just have crap for traction in mud and snow, now that wouldnt be a problem for you guys out in the drier part of the country

Old 04-01-2004, 10:24 PM
Trailblazer

Thats what Im looking for is better steering. At this point, I think Ive decided on The Mudlites. From what I can tell, they would be a good all around trail tire although Im open for any suggestions. Many thanks for the reply.

Quick Reply: 2004 Kawasaki 700 or Arctic Cat 650