Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

AC454 VS Polaris Expedition 425

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2000, 12:33 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright we might get a few fights out of this one but i'm gonna post it anyway. For all you AC 500 owners out there you can play too. They are basically the same bike. Ok down to the question. Witch one do you guys like better. Reliability, speed, climbing. Anything you can come up with. Oh and by the way i'm talking 98 454.

Old 01-03-2000, 12:59 AM
Pro Rider

I don't like how Polaris picked the gear ratio's. I like the dual range trans of my 500, even though it doesn't need low range. I like low range for decending step hills of ditches. (Maybe If I had those 28" Vamps I could use low range.) I have never NEEDED low range for any thing, not even when I pulled that 8000-lb truck.

Old 01-03-2000, 09:51 AM
Pro Rider

ahha!!!

I've finally got a reason to come over here and stir things up!!
No not really, I can't compare. I don't know anyone with an A/C.
I will say that initially I didn"t care for the gearing on the Xpedition, but having several month's of riding, and getting to know what it's capabilities are I am satisfied. I don't use 1st for anything but crawling or towing. 2nd on up are pretty well spaced. 3rd will carry me up most hills without bogging.
As for off camber climbing, 1st gear is definately low enough for crawling. The only problem I've noticed is the way the AWD engages. If you have a front wheel in the air the machine will pull to the side with traction. But then again the only times I can complain about that was before I got to know the machine. All in All, I'm very happy with the Xpedition and would recomend it to anyone wanting a manual shift.
BTW, 3rd gear pulled my partners Sportsman home yesterday, spewing mud on him for miles. HeHe had to get that one in
Later,
Brian

Old 01-03-2000, 02:30 PM
Extreme Pro Rider

I have needed low range as a must a few times when climbing up uneven hills over large limbs and stuff (not on a trail). I've used it to slowly pick my way up and through spots that the quad was on the verge of flipping. The extra slow speed made the moves much more predictable with no sudden burst that might have brough the front end up or even over sideways. I also use it a lot when backing into the truck. It doesn't need low for lack of power or anything. Just the technical uses for low range, which I can find a use for on any utility quad.

------------------
Andy Bassham *(1999 Arctic Cat 500 4x4, 1989 Honda 300)*

Old 01-03-2000, 02:34 PM
Pro Rider

I think it might need low for those 28" Vamps, in VERY thick mud.

Old 01-03-2000, 02:53 PM
Pro Rider

Why did u have to pull him home?

Old 01-03-2000, 04:08 PM
Pro Rider

He shredded the belt. I've been telling him about them since he got it. But he's pig headed and didn't want to listen. The belt trashed both the pvt cover and snorkel. Maybe now he will use L/R once in a while. He told me when he pulled the cover it was wet inside. I can believe it. It's been warm here for the past 4 days or so. Melted the foot of snow we had. The ground is soft. We were both muddy from head to toe. Just the way I like it.

Brian

[This message has been edited by dusty (edited 01-03-2000).]

Old 01-03-2000, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

I'm satisfied with my AC, but I havent heard much about the Expedition. I just wanted to see how it compared to the 454. I haven't used my low range too often. I used it a lot when I was making a hill that connected two trails together. I had to use low so I could creep over some rocks and little trees that tried to flip me. I also use it for the same purpose as Andy said. Backing it into my truck.

Old 01-03-2000, 11:34 PM
Pro Rider

Ok, it's eating me up inside. Why do you both back your quads into your truck. That can't be good for either the quad or the back of the truck!

Old 01-03-2000, 11:46 PM
Pro Rider

Rooster- Andy will probably explain it better than me. He always does. If you pull these bikes into your truck forwards you have to put something between the front racks and the back glass. If you back them in the racks won't come anywhere near the glass even if you hit bumps. The tires will hit the front of the bed before it can hit the glass. These are also shortwide beds too. I like it a lot better. It's kind of scary backing them in if you don't get on an incline. It also makes pulling out easier too. If you didn't really understand i'm sure Andy can explain it in more detail and give you more reasons. If you did then I did a good job.

Quick Reply: AC454 VS Polaris Expedition 425