Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Limp Mode Strikes!

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 11:51 PM
Cub
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Limp Mode Strikes!

I had my first experience with "Limp Mode" tonight. I was playing in the pond in front of my house and decided to take the bike across the yard to dry it all out before putting it away and nailed the gas and it lurches and starts sputtering. Looked down and the belt light is flashing. Pulled into the garage and reset it. Took for another run and made 3 or 4 hard dead stop accelerations and no more limp mode. The mileage was 196 and the hours 39. Have they confirmed the area of the voltage spikes yet so we all can come to terms with this?

Old 04-30-2004, 01:03 AM
Weekend Warrior

Dear Cub,

I went 400 miles before my cat went into the limp mode. I had hoped that my ATV would not experience the same problem as the others. Like your bike, I was also in water when it went into the limp mode. I was crossing a stream outside of Moab, Utah when all of the sudden I could not go faster than 9 mph and the belt light was flashing. I was carrying a reset plug and got it taken care of. It has not done it since. It is my understanding that Artic Cat has found that the problem is in there being a poorly grounded wire by the voltage regulator. They are trying to confirm this now. I would expect them to be coming out with a fix for the problem sometime soon.

Old 04-30-2004, 11:13 PM
Pro Rider

you could always order the dynatek sdi, which eliminates the problem. Granted cat should be fixing this problem, but I only hear wonderful things about this cdi

Old 05-01-2004, 12:37 AM
Cub
Trailblazer

Hopefully A/C gets it figured out! I am considering the cdi in the future for a little more power. Otherwise I LOVE this monster!

Old 05-02-2004, 10:05 PM
Weekend Warrior

Mine did it also while in water with less than 100 miles on it. My dealer reset it and I bought the reset plug. My dealer said that he talked to AC who wouldn't say much other than that they were working on some sort of black box that will solve this problem but that they are still testing it.