Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Timing 400i auto

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing 400i auto

Can any body tell me how to do the timing on the 400, 03. I changed the head and thought I had the time ok but I am having problems setting the valves. This is what is happening, set the valves turned it over and there was some ticking. Did it again and still ticking, took the cover off and set the cam on the marks across the head assuming the timing is right set and tick. The last time I tried it turned fast but would not start did start with a pull? Slow tick that just got louder. Every time I set the valves it was hard to start. So would it be safe to say it's the timing?

Old 05-21-2004, 12:41 AM
Trailblazer
Default Timing 400i auto

If it started and ran, I find it hard to be the timing. The 400's do tick some (it seems louder without the tank and body work on). Why did you change the head? If you had an oiling problem you may need a cam. The cam has a hard coating on the outside that will come off if it is ran without oil, causing excessive noise. If the problem is your cam, replace your followers also. While you were changing your head did you mix up the follower pins? They are different and if installed incorrectly they will limit the oil flow thru the head causing noise. If it is hard to start then you may have your valves set to tight (trying to eliminate the noise?). I've seen all of this before, good luck.

Old 05-21-2004, 08:41 AM
Trailblazer
Default Timing 400i auto

I did change all of the head, cover, cam. I tried three times to set the valves but will not set. When I started it last night will start but cannot give it gas, it just stalls. If started will stall. And will not start with the starter must pull it. I did have the dealer change the valves and stuff over to the new head. Q. What are the followers? I also took the cover off last night and set the piston at top dead, and looked at the end of the cam, the timing marks there where not lined up. Reset the marks at that end. But I was told that there is an alan key bolt on the left side of the engine that should be removed and I will find a timing mark there. Now my question is, there are two alan key bolts on the left one is up high on the cylinder and the other is lower with an arrow I am assuming the timing comes off the lower one? I changed the head because one of the cradels and cam where chewed up.