Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

CV Boots

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2004, 08:26 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CV Boots

Hey guys. I was out today riding around and i noticed that one of my front cv boots was twisted. i untwisted it with a pair of pliers and that was ok for a half hour then i looked again and it was twisted again but then i noticed some rips and it kept getting worse. I went to cat and ordered a new kit but im not sure on how to take off the shafte and put the boot on. Any suggestions? Thanx

Old 05-20-2004, 09:01 PM
Pro Rider
Default CV Boots

the kit will include all the c-clips and grease you need i had to do this take the wheel off and then unbolt the a-arms then just clip the brackets holding the boot and take gasoline and a paint brush and wash all the greese off of the cv joint so then you can see the c-clip to take off it is pretty simple when you see how it works i can do one now in about 15 min [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 05-20-2004, 09:34 PM
Trailblazer
Default CV Boots

So i just unbolt the 4 bolts holding the top and bottom a arms on. Then slid the shaft out of the front diff?

Old 05-20-2004, 10:37 PM
Trailblazer
Default CV Boots

It really is easy...I have done 3 of them. 2 in the rear and one in the front...Just pull the tire off and unbolt the a-arm and then pull quickly and the axle will come right out. The hard part is getting the new clamps on..Take a LARGE channel pliers and then squeeze the clamp back on after reinstalling the new boot. Of course there is a special tool but the pliers worked for me..If you need pict's I have the 03 service manual. I can probably email you the "factory" directions...

Old 05-20-2004, 10:42 PM
Trailblazer
Default CV Boots

Pics would help a lot.I was looking at it and at first i thaught i had to take the brake system off, the disc everything but from what your saying it sounds easy. If its not muhc trouble could you please send me your pics that your have it would help. Here is my email adress: spike_mike15@hotmail.com Thanks Mike

Old 05-20-2004, 11:12 PM
Pro Rider
Default CV Boots

A while back I had to replace my cv boots and I thought it might come in handy and/or helpful to take a bunch of pictures......cv boot pics

Hope it helps ya.........[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-cool.gif[/img]

Old 05-21-2004, 10:56 PM
Trailblazer
Default CV Boots

Thankx guys. I went out and took it all apart tonight. It was soing good until i got everything off and i had to figure out how to get the shaft out. I remembered about the c clip but i couldnt see one cuz of the amout of grease. I finally found it and took it out . I get the part on wednesday ill let you now how it goes lol.

Old 06-04-2004, 02:05 PM
Weekend Warrior
Default CV Boots

We ended up with twisted cv boots on both our AC's, a 2003 300 and 2002 400. They are both under warranty, but the
dealer said this was not covered. Fortunately the two boots are not ripped, but I could not get them untwisted with the
inner band still on the boot. I bought 8 of the replacement bands (just in case it happens to the other boots) and cut
off the original band. Then untwisted the boot and installed a new band. I think I will buy the tool to make this go
easier. I've done many cv joints and boots on VWs, but of course, the clips and tools are different...:-)

We'll keep an eye on the other boots and bring the necessary tools along on the trails since it's not too difficult to
fix, once you've done one or two...

Dave

Old 06-07-2004, 12:04 AM
Pro Rider
Default CV Boots

I always carry some heavy duty zip ties "just in case" the bands come off....it's happened to me several times....you don't want mud or swamp water in your boots.... [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img] Good idea to have spare bands but the zips work in a pinch for alot of things............