Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Why won't Arctic Cat acknowledge "limp mode"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 02:43 AM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why won't Arctic Cat acknowledge "limp mode"?

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img] The message says it all, why won't Arctic Cat acknowledge the limp mode problem so many of us, on all the ATV Forums, have experienced. Has there been one official word from them on this matter? If so i haven't seen it & i belong to several forums as many of you also do. Limp mode has beset me 3 times now with less than 400 miles on the odometer. It has never tripped my belt switch, so i assume it's some kind of an electrical glitch. I've did all the things i heard might help, like dielectric grease on all the electrical connections, making sure the battery is fully charged, grounding the motor to the frame. What can we do to make Arctic Cat listen to us? It's not just the first ones off the lines having problems, as the later ones are too. How many of you have decided to not go with Arctic Cat for your new ATV, for fear of this limp mode problem. Sure , i have the reset plug & i wouldn't leave home without it, but is this all we get from them. What a BS way to do business. Some of the dealers won't even acknowledge there is a problem. Arctic Cat got over $8,000 from me, including accessories & i think we deserve to be treated a lot better than we have been so far. How about you guys? Regards, Jerico1

Old 06-24-2004, 08:26 AM
Trailblazer

Actually, my choices came down to the Artic Cat 650 and the Grizzly. The limp mode problem is the biggest thing that helped make up my mind. I went with the Grizzly. The dealer here sold both and the AC had a tag on it explaining the limp mode problem.

Brad

Old 06-24-2004, 02:32 PM
Got Milk!
Blaming Guns For Crime Is Like Blaming a Spoon for Rosie O'Donnell being Fat!

I agree, it is poor of them. I wonder if it has anything to do with Kawasaki? Maybe Arctic Cat and Kawasaki are in a fight over who's fault it is, and who should pay for the recall... That is all I can think of.

Old 06-24-2004, 04:54 PM
Weekend Warrior

Jerico1
I've been waffling over the question of whether or not I like A. C.. It has some good points and some bad points. Things like the tires and the brakes were costly to remedy, the limp mode thing is a pain, the overall fit and finish, so so. There is one thing that's influenced me more than anything. It's called BRUTE FORCE. Yes I'm going back to kawie and they can take all these American made behemouths (including Polaris) and stick em. Maybe someday if the american manufactors learn how to make a bike like the Japanese I'll buy another one[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img][img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 06-24-2004, 06:22 PM
Pro Rider

I was told by a fella over at HL I think it was that they are doing testing on 50 bikes and figure they have a cure some kind of filter to get rid of an electrical frequency or some mumbo jumbo like that.He called it an RF filter I belive.I have my fingers crossed.I hit limp mode three times as well but it took me 1400kms.

Old 06-24-2004, 08:48 PM
Range Rover

Here it is A/C engineers have discovered the problem to fix the limp mode. It will not be a factor in the 2005 A/C at all. The Test That "HEY YOU" was talking about is that engineers have put a "capsidator" that would reduce - eliminate Sound & Distortion in the electrical system. The Capsidator will be located in line between the toggle switch and CDI. 50 quads have tested and none have had a problem of burning belts. THAT IS SOME GOOD NEWS!

I don't know if they are going to recall the 04 650 but the should!

Old 06-24-2004, 11:05 PM
kwc
Trailblazer

A friend of mine who also owns an 04 650 took his to the dealer yesterday to have an EPI clutch spring put in. While they were riding it at the dealers afterwards the limp mode kicked in... he told the dealer this has happened a few times before, so the dealer called AC. They have a fix for this and are sending him a surge protecter that plugs into the wiring harness where the reset plug goes and is left in place. Why don't the rest of us know about this?
I haven't had a problem with mine since I put in the extra ground and greased the connections, but could it strike again? Who knows.. the new CDI should take care of that, but it sucks to have to spend that kind of money to have to cure a problem AC should be in touch with us about.
I used to be pissed at my dealer, but came to realize that AC keeps them in the dark too. They can't fix problems that AC won't acknowledge. AC's customer service will also tell you they have never heard of your problem before and it must be you.. I like the power and ride of my 650 (especially with the new tires and EPI spring) but the my next one will probably be Japanese for the simple reason their customer service and fit/finish are better. Are you listening Arctic Cat?

Old 06-25-2004, 11:01 PM
Weekend Warrior

I am taking my 650 back to the dealer tommorow to have this voltage regulator or whatever it is installed. I have 100 miles and have tripped the limp mode twice. I called my dealer after the second time and they called Cat and Cat said they are working on a fix but it was still in a testing phase but that so far it has worked on all Atv's they have installed it on. They sent one to my dealer for me to try. I will test it out and let everyone know if it works.

Old 06-26-2004, 09:52 AM
Pro Rider

My Kawasaki started going into limp mode every once in a while and I discovered the Negetive battery cable was looseing ground , it would crank fine but if you where running very hard limp mode would sometimes kick in, I have also seen some of the switches in the belt housing go bad and cause this , I have cut my wires below the plug going to the belt switch and put a wire nut on them and filled it with liquid electrical tape, now If I ever have to reset the computer I can still unplug those wires. Mine has not went into limp mode in several monthes now.

Old 06-27-2004, 03:04 PM
Trailblazer

Neither I nor anyone else I know of with a Prairie has had the limp mode problem. The only time I have heard of a Kawi in limp mode was if the owner failed to maintain the belt, and the belt switch was actually tripped. It is not difficult to keep the CVT and belt maintained, just learn how to do it and you'll save $$ and know it's done right. It's a shame AC is having these problems. The Kawi V-Twin is an awesome motor. I hope you guys have a fix soon!