Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

NO LIMP MODE YET, BUT SCARED ON EVERY RIDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 05:12 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO LIMP MODE YET, BUT SCARED ON EVERY RIDE

If you are slipping your belt put in spring clutch kit (like the one from Dalton Industries) and when it gets put in make sure your belt deflection (tension) is on the lower end of spec, and you will no longer slip your belt even with 27" tires. if you do not want to put the kit in use low range in all situations except road use.

Old 07-08-2004, 05:25 PM
Weekend Warrior

[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

NO HELP FROM DEALERS NO HELP FORM AC AND I WILL BE DAMNED IF I SPEND MORE MONEY TO FIX A PROBLEM THAT THEY SHOULD FIX. LIKE I SAID BEFOR EVERYTIME I RIDE DOWN A TRAIL I FEAR HAVING THE LIMP MODE ISSUE AT A BAD TIME LIKE UP A HILL OR IN THE MUD. ANYWAY, IF ANYBODY HAS A KNOWN FIX THAT DOESN'T COST MONEY LET ME KNOW CAUSE I WILL BE DAMNED WHEN I SPENT OVER 7000.00 ON A MACHINE.

Old 07-08-2004, 06:29 PM
Trailblazer

The limp mode fix is free from your dealer,
The belt slip issue is primarly for people who put larger tires on, if you run the stock tires, and when you go off trail use low range (you can go 50 mph in low) you will not have belt slip issues. As any belt wears it will losen and you will have keep the deflection in spec for optimum performance, and this will also minimize the possibility of slipping the belt. If you are stuck in a mud hole and you gas it in high range, yes you can slip the belt but you have know one to blame but yourself, put it in low.
The Dalton kit is about $50 we have installed many with every customer very happy with it, well worth the money if you have big tires or ride aggresivly.

Old 07-08-2004, 07:00 PM
Pro Rider

yort,

is that Dalton kit the blue,purple springs?I think that will be my next mod if I can sneak it by my wife.The limp mode fix is not something they are giving out too freely as of yet,at least thats what my dealer is telling me,I'm going to see him tomorrow to get my tie rod,anything I can pass on to him so I can be the first in my neck of the woods to have one?

Old 07-08-2004, 07:30 PM
Trailblazer

At first they wanted to target the machines that were going into limp mode very regularly, we installed it on our worst offenders first and it is 100% cure, and the others when they have more kits to fix the limp mode available, tell your dealer you are experiencing problems and you will get your kit sooner, but tell them this only if you are experienceing problems, as others who need the kits may not get them right away.
The Dalton kit is one they put together for the AC 650, check their web site, $75 CND + freight.

Old 07-09-2004, 07:25 PM
Range Rover

Hi Guys,
I had my dealer call AC this morning about the limp mode problem some of us are having due to an electrical spike. It's as York has stated, they do have a fix ( capasitor ), but at this time none are available, according to AC. They will probably have a recall when they get enough of them , but that could be a while yet, maybe a month or so away. Don't leave home without your reset plug, & for those of you who haven't had to use it yet, it's no biggy, very simple. Limp mode can hit at any mileage, as one of my buddies found out while we were in Moab. No need to pull the cover unless it is a belt issue & the switch inside the cover has been tripped. I still wouldn't trade my 650 for anything out there, but thats just my opinion. Regards, Jerico1

Old 07-09-2004, 08:44 PM
Range Rover

BIGGERCAT in case you haven't noticed you have no issue. You haven't gone into limp mode.
Stop making excuses because you're afraid to go out and having a good time.

Old 07-09-2004, 09:00 PM
Pro Rider

I agree with oldcrow,just get out and drive,I do and I have actually had limp mode.You have a great bike,enjoy it.[img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-happy.gif[/img]

Old 07-10-2004, 02:56 AM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jerico1 is correct & my 2 cents worth is about the same as Jerico1. Allot of you are making out this Limp-Home-Mode a bigger bad deal than it really is. Don't leave for a trail ride w/o the reset plug, which you can get from your Cat dealer "Free". I have a extra reset plug That I can sell to anyone who wants it, as I bought 3 of them but only needed 2. You can have it for $14.00 including shipping charges, the same price I paid for it thru Alpha-sports. The 1st time the limp-mode happens it may take you 10 minutes to fix but the 2nd time you will beable to do it in less than 3 minutes, it is that easy. It can happen at any miles, the statement that it won't if you have over 100 miles is "False". I rode my LE650 hard for 3 days at Moab this past April, charged thru the 50 or so stream crossings to the point where I was soaked head to toe & never did my LE650 go into the limp-mode, not once on the entire Moab Trip. The following weekend while back home & out on a trail ride, I tripped the Limp-mode after splashing thru a few stream crossings. My 1st limp-mode was at 50 miles & my 2nd limp-mode was at 325 miles. Have gone additional 165 miles since the last one & no new limp-mode failures.
Cat does have a fix for us ALL who have bought the Cat 650 VTwins, shouldn't be too much longer & Cat will have enough of the RF filters made up, so if Cat does the right thing here & has a Recall, we all will get the RF filter to fix the Limp-mode problem on the '04 Cat 650s.

Old 07-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Weekend Warrior

OLD CROW,

I am not making any excuses and i ride my quad harder than most!!!! this i am sure of, i was only hoping to find something preventative so that i dont have a limp mode issue when i am in the middle of some nasty mud hole or climbing some crazy hill or launching over some insane jump. Seeing all the problems others have it is a concern to me, but thanks for the constructive input.

ride fast, ride hard and if u aint bleeding u aint riding hard enough!!!!!!!!!

BIGGERCAT

Quick Reply: NO LIMP MODE YET, BUT SCARED ON EVERY RIDE