Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

NO LIMP MODE YET, BUT SCARED ON EVERY RIDE

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2004, 03:44 PM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NO LIMP MODE YET, BUT SCARED ON EVERY RIDE

Just wanted to chime in on the LIMP MODE problem so many have you have experienced. I am new to the forum but i wish i would have read the info. before i bought my AC 650 v-twin. Don't get me wrong, i love the 650 so far it has out performed my yamaha 660 in every category. The grizzly i gave to my wife, she is 105 lbs soaking wet and she handles without a problem, but she is afraid of my BIG CAT. Anyway, i must admit that every mud puddle, every steep hill, and pretty much anywhere i ride i always have the LIMP MODE problem in the back of my mind!!!! I have 180 miles and 30 hours on my machine and have been lucky so far!!!! I have not done any modifications to prevent limp mode, however i did just buy it about one month ago. The dealer gave me the reset plug so i always carry it. I hope i never have to deal with the problem i feel bad for those who have. I am thinking about trading in the v-twin for the new 2005 h1 hemi. has anybody heard anything good or bad about the hemi??????

thanks

biggercat

Old 07-07-2004, 05:07 PM
Trailblazer

Their is a fix for the limp mode, contact your dealer.

Old 07-08-2004, 12:11 AM
Pro Rider

after you set the limp mode once you can do it again in about 30 seconds but i get scared when i get in the mud and water over the reset plugs for it but for the most part it is a minor thing but like yort said i heard arctic has a solution to the problem

Old 07-08-2004, 01:09 AM
Trailblazer

If you are past 100 miles you proably will not have any problems, plus if you are stuck or pulling a heavy load shift into low range. The limp mode comes from slipping the belt and w/ the torque of the 650 motor you will have better performance if using low range for heavy pulling.

Old 07-08-2004, 01:23 AM
Trailblazer

You asked about the new 650 H1 motor? It is due to start being produced this fall. It is similiar in design to the current AC 400 & 500 belt drive. Which means it has an interal wet multiclutch, the varible belt never releases so there is never any belt slip to engage a load or start machine. The 650 V2 (Kawasaki design)
is similiar to the way Polaris engages. ( When engine is running clutch is spinning,w/ AC var.cluch only turns when ATV is moving plus it is supported by bearings on outside and inside of clutch)Today I saw a 2002 375 auto with over 14,000 miles in a dealer for a new belt. Dealer said it is only the second belt they have sold since becoming a AC dealer in 1999.

Old 07-08-2004, 10:40 AM
Weekend Warrior

wow, great stuff!!! thanks for the info. once in a while i notice a burning smell when i have a heavy load. What you said makes perfect sense about the way the belt is configured!!!! Never even thought to compare or look at the belt configuration!!! thanks for the info

biggercat

Old 07-08-2004, 11:57 AM
Pro Rider

welcome to the forums BTW!!!

Old 07-08-2004, 04:12 PM
ng
Trailblazer

What is the fix for the belt.I'm going to get one in the next week or so and I'd like to have it taken care of.Thanks

Old 07-08-2004, 04:39 PM
Range Rover

Catrep,
You are very mistaken about what's causing the limp mode in most situations. You guys are being misled by his remarks, especially about not having any problems after 100 miles. It's all been posted many times on many forums, just do a search. Jerico1

Old 07-08-2004, 05:09 PM
Trailblazer

The fix is simple and quick, a small plug plugs into your wiring harness, thats it, takes about 2 min. We have done this and it is a 100% cure.

Quick Reply: NO LIMP MODE YET, BUT SCARED ON EVERY RIDE