Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

tires-so many choices-HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2004, 05:52 PM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default tires-so many choices-HELP!!

hey guys im thinkin seriously of buying the gators they look like they will handle it all and i can put em on all the way around for less than two hundred im still looking for advice so heres the kind of riding i do.
when it comes to mud i dont do any serious bogs like competitions just what happens to come along on the trail and what i think i can do that none of the 2x4s i ride with can (within reason) ankle deep is as deep as ive been and i stopped in it but spun trying to get out creeping would these tires help me not to spin and pull out of a hole? i ride on hard pack quite a bit but asphalt i ride on sparingly and sinse the kinq quad is by no means a speed demon i can avoid it without temtation (i think). Would they pull me out of a mud hole if i stoped ?? i know this is hard to answer cuz all mud is different but from stock tires would the difference be noticable?? i hope you guys and gals have some good advice this is alot of money to a 16 year old.

well atv connection hasnt faild me yet . thanks for all the imput

Old 07-31-2004, 12:03 AM
Range Rover

Well, let me throw this out there. Hope it does not derail the thread. Tire threds seem to go that way.
Any way I am sort of the same boat but leaning more toward some additional asphault/parking lot use. The places I ride tend to be hard pack trails with what ever mud hole turns up. Dependingon the location there is some (private) road time to get the the trail head. The other main use for my quads would be transport at some of the larger car shows I attend. I am, however, concerned about mud in that my normal riding place has an occasion to flood. At the worst place it is water to the foot pegs but the floods do tend to turn a lot of the trails in to 3" to 6" of goo. I narrowed down to Titan 489 X/t's, GBC Dirt Devils, ITP Mud Lites in that order. The basis there was a lot of reading and looking at tred. Each seemed to hold up well (based on opinion), are 6 ply to reduce side wall roll, had good looking semi-agressive tread, and provided some sort of pattern down the center of the tire. This center pattern leaves little space lug to lug, IE smooth ride. The 6 ply rating may not be as big of a factor in a 2x4 as it is on a 4x4. That extra weight up front makes the 4x's want to plow into turn. The side wall of the stock tires flex quite a bit. This makes the turn a little more difficult in terms of ride and having to man handle the handle bars.

In my case I had a hard time turning up the Titan 489 X/T. They were my first choice becasue my stockers are the A/T versions. Same tred pattern but like 3 ply. I like how they ride on straight hard pack and road. Any way Titan has been bought out by Carlisle. They are making the rebranded A/T but I can not seem to turn up any X/T's. A lot of folks still have them listed on their site but have no inventory.

The Mud Light was my next choice but slipped to third when I actually saw a set. The lugs on the tire have depressions cast into them, forming like a little scoop. This is suposed to give them some extra bite. I was kind of afraid I would wear the lugs down (to the point of being sold) after some road time. Find a pic of them, you will see what I mean.

The Dirt Devils were a late discovery. They do have depressions in some of the lugs as well but they are not as deep into the lug and the lips appear to have more bulk. Of the 3 they were actually the best priced (as I found them). They also are 6 ply, have a good looking tread, and look like they would be a smooth runner. Other than that opinion seemed positive.

Well, I know I had nothing to say about gators but I hope some of that helps! If nothing else it may give you some ideas.

Brent

Old 07-31-2004, 12:09 AM
Range Rover

I found some pics for quick comparison:

The Gator

The GBC Dirt Devil

The ITP Mud Lite

The Titan 489 X/T

Another one you might consider. Perhaps a little more agressive than the others I mentioned but not as agressive as the Gator. (Based on looking at the tread) The tire "looks" to have a flatter profile thus more ground contact. The Gator has this look as well but has a lot more tread depth.

The Kendra Bear Claw

Again, hope this helps.

Brent

Old 07-31-2004, 07:22 PM
Trailblazer

thanks brent i dont like the dirt devils becuse the lugs are so shallow with the gators event thought they will wear the lugs being so deep will make the tires useful even after a half inch has been worn down , but with the dirt devils an half inch of wear and the tread is gone

Old 07-31-2004, 07:52 PM
Pro Rider

i put 2500 miles on my gators and they still had the groove in the lug.
they hardly wore at all.
go for them but dont go to big or you might brake somthing.
mine were 28s and every time i had to work it hard it broke an axel.
stick with 26s or 27s.

Old 08-01-2004, 03:45 PM
Trailblazer

hey thanks for the inffo im gunna stick with the stock sizes did you do any hard pack riding or asphalt riding??

Old 08-01-2004, 06:02 PM
Pro Rider

my driveway is paved and its 300 feet long and i let my doughter ride up and down it.
and i plow it in the winter.
and for hard pack.
where i live you have to ride on hard pack for at least a mile or two befor we get to the trails we ride.
thers a millon miles of logging roads to ride and half a millon trails leading off of them, to the many creek streams and rivers we have around here.
and where theres water theres lots of mud to play in.
and theres lots of trails that lead up mountain sides that are a combo of loose rock gravel and hard
pack stuff.
we got it all out here in buitiful BC. Canada.
and the fishing is awsom. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-smile.gif[/img]

Old 08-02-2004, 12:10 AM
Pro Rider

i would seriously consider the mud lites from itp from what i gather it would be a very sexy tire for your purposes

Old 08-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Trailblazer

One more opinion.......

I had limited my choice to the Mudlite, the Bear Klaw or the Dirt Devil. I went with the 26" Dirt Devil so I could get an XT tire with deeper tread. So far I have loved it and will never look back. First they are a much harder rubber than the Mudlites and are said to wear a lot longer. They have improved my handeling 100% and they have been as smooth a tire on hard pack as my stock tires. I highly recommend them in the XT size.

I still think the Bear Claw would be a good chioce as well.

Old 08-02-2004, 11:27 AM
Pro Rider

dirt devils are made by the same company as the gators and thay are the best there is.
ive got mud lites on my new honda and i like them alot but ive already got a flat with them and i never had a flat with the gators.