Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Tires for Auto Cat

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2000, 12:38 AM
Pro Rider
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just wanted to add another comment. I bought some 26" 589s for my stock wheels (at Boner's advice from a while back-after they were not far behind the Vamps in DW mud tire shootout last year). They are on a Rubicon. They ride very good on hard ground, and do very good in the mud. They are hard to clog up with mud, but even red clay is cleaned out of the lugs with a little blip of the throttle. I am very happy with them. I have no experience with the mudbug or mudrunner.
Also, I was pretty surprised in the 28" Outlaw on the ITP Magnum (aluminum) wheel. The power change is not really noticeable. I could tell a big difference in my 300 going to a 25x9.5x12 Vamp on ITP steel wheels. Those weigh 36 pounds and the 10.5 wide 28" Outlaw on the wheel is only 40 and the 12.5 is 46 pounds. They are pretty rough on hard ground (concrete, but that is not what they are made for. They don't give much when you run over something.

Old 08-18-2000, 02:03 AM
Range Rover

I have ITP magnums thay wt# 7lb each that helps cut the power loss.

Old 08-18-2000, 02:05 PM
Pro Rider

Thanks, you guys have eased my worries, so I've started saving towards a set of 27x10x12's. Now, TexDoc and Scotto and anyone else running aluminum rims-how will they hold up in rough trail riding and rock slides? I pulled my stockers off over the weekend to paint my rims black, and found a dent in the right rear wheel. Basically rolled the rim upwards and in towards the center across about a 2" spread. Now, not sure how or where it happened, but will this happen easier with the aluminum rims or are they strong enough to not have to worry about it? Don't want to spend that kind of money for rims that will just be beat up after a couple rides then be worthless if you know what I mean.

Thanks again, and thanks for the patience as well!

Mike

Old 08-18-2000, 07:22 PM
Pro Rider

On the strength, I have been told by Highlifter and by ITP, that they are not as strong as steel. Only steel is steel. BUT, they are very strong and just like steel can be dented these can, too. I think it is a risk vs benefit decision. I feel like the benefits (light weight, and cannot rust and look great) outweigh the riks.

Old 08-18-2000, 08:27 PM
Range Rover

Great, I got a lot of information and advise here. Thanks guys a million!!! I think I'm going to go with 26" Titan 589's when I get these stock 489's worn down some more. Most the guys around here run on Vamps or Goodyear Mudrunners and I want something "different". I'm also not too impressed with the performance of the Vamps or Mudrunners when it comes to steep, hard or rocky climbs. I'm out climbing them hands down with Titan 489's. My hope is that the 589's will outperfom Vamp & Mudrunners on the hard steep stuff and perform as well or nearly as well in the Mud. Thanks again---Gerry

Old 08-18-2000, 11:23 PM
Pro Rider

27x10x12??

Vampires? Can't be 589s cause those are 27x11x12.

Old 08-19-2000, 01:37 AM
Pro Rider

Actually Boner, the 27x10x12's would be the Mud Bugs. I think they would be the best choice to fit my needs as they seem to be the lightest. The main reason I want the larger tires is for increased ground clearance. I don't do a lot of mud-only riding, so I think the Vamps would be overkill. I would like to keep a somewhat smooth ride-if possible-so a tread pattern that crosses the center line is probably necessary. The trails I make or ride usually contain every type of terrain possible, so I will need something that will bite good on all surfaces and track well. I also wanted to keep the weight as low as possible, so as not to rob too much power from the Auto 'Cat. From what I have seen and read, I think the Mud Bugs fit the bill pretty well. Do you think they would be a good choice, or do you have another suggestion I should look at? I won't be able to get them any time soon, probably not for a couple months anyway, but if I start putting a little money away now, I may end up getting them sooner.

Thanks for the thoughts.

Mike

Old 08-19-2000, 02:05 AM
Pro Rider

The Mud Bugs are a great choice, I have a freind with a 450s that has them on his bike(27x10/27x12) and they helped his top speed GREATLY. As far as top speed goes I am only about 2 mph faster than him(need to adjust my throttle limiter so I can have more power).

He did notice a bit of power lose with those tires, but he would never go back. He spins them like no tomorrow.

There are times where he has to get in 3rd gear to actually clean all the mud off, but otherwise they are great.

Why don't you want wider rear tires???

Old 08-21-2000, 11:45 PM
Range Rover

Just got back from the cabin. When I left for the weekend it was kind of last minute and dident have time to switch tires. I really wanted to try out the Outlaws so I left them on the auto cat and thats what I took. We have had a lot of rain on the rez. in the last two weeks and that means mud;>

There is a bit more power lost then I first thought but the auto still handeled them very well. The power lost is felt when the auto cat is "REALY" boged down in mud and on midrange excelration. From a dead stop the auto cat can spin them for a long, long way and with the aggresive tread thay will throw rocks, mud and dirt into ruster tails behind you. However it takes a long time to wind them out.

Thay stick out about a inch and a half or more (almost 3" on the 99 w/wheel spacers) so when switch back to the 99 I'll need to rig up some kind of fender extenions. Thay clean out so well that thay cover you with mud & water. I had clogs of mud fling out in frunt of me 10 - 15 feet in a arc and some clods that would go straight up in the air then PloP down on my head. I had to prop up the back mud flaps on the kimpx bumper as the rear tires would some times grab the flap and it would be like a card in bycle spokes (no lift kit). I was concernd the foward tires would hit at where the black fender meets the green plastic and crack the plastic but the contact point is the black part of the fender. There is a bout a inch clearence from the tire to the frount shocks when straight however thay rub when turned all the way R or L.

I put 93 miles on them over the weekend and dident get stuck once and I took them places that I have been stuck bigtime before and places I wouldent even think of going into before. Vary seldom did thay rub however I took it real EZ in rugged stuff. Now I cant wait to realy try them out on the 99 W/ lift & spacers. I bought them for the 99 but thay would work vary well on the auto cat if lifted and spaced. Thay would be even better w/ a peformance kit & web cam.

Oh, I keep refering to the auto cat as mine but even though I paid for it and its reg. in my name and I buy the gas and insurance, I bought it for my son Alex. (son of catzilla he wants mudbugs on stock rims. I think thay would be great on the auto.

sorry about the long post & bad <SPL>

scotto
1999 500 Arctic Cat
2000 500 auto Arctic Cat

Old 08-23-2000, 04:50 PM
Pro Rider

Scotto:
Hey, thanks for the analysis of the outlaws on the Auto 'Cat, sounds like it handled them pretty well. I guess judging by that, my Auto should handle 27x10x12 Mud Bugs just fine. Just curious though, did you get a chance to do any hill climbing? I'm curious about the power issue when having to crawl up and out of ditches or mudholes with a near verticle wall in front of you. As it sits now, I'll crawl up to something such as this, then when the fronts hit the wall, or stump, log, etc., it stops for a second, then with a little throttle will just walk right up and over no problem at all. I'm sure if you didn't have any troubles with the Outlaws in the deep stuff, I'd be just fine with the Bugs, but just curious if you know what I mean.

Sounds like you had a great time up at your place. I was up at our place with my dad mending fences and towing logs around. Only managed to get about 40 miles on our 'Cat's.

Thanks again!

Mike