Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

Start Up Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2004, 09:13 AM
Weekend Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Start Up Problems

Ok, I am new here and to ATVs. Anyway, I have an new 04' 650 AC. I have a problem at startup I was wondering if anyone else has experienced or am I stupid? Problem is, my choke does'nt work unless I hit the throttle along with the green button. If you read the manual it says absolutly dont touch the throttle. We sent the quad back because the choke was not working whatsoever and have gotten it back but still we need to hit the throttle at startup. Is this normal, should I take it back again? This is a brand new machine! ! ! My worry is when I need to start my quad in cold weather, I will be sitting there dead. Any help / advice would be great. Thanks in advance. TwoJay in Michigan.

Old 10-26-2004, 03:39 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Where does it say to not use the throttle? If thats what it takes to start it, then thats what you need to do.
When the temps get below freezing, i take a mitten, or my hand, and hold it over the intake snorkle, to work like a real choke, and then spin it over. That makes it go really rich, and it usually fires right up.

Old 10-27-2004, 02:16 PM
Weekend Warrior

In the Arctic Cat manual I recieved with the quad it says not to use the throttle. Will this foul the plugs since its electric start? Should I contact AC and ask them? Thanks in advance. TwoJay

Old 10-27-2004, 04:07 PM
Elite Pro Rider

When any motor is cold...it needs a richer mixture, using about 1/4 throttle wont hurt a thing. Try blocking the air intake and see if that helps, to get it started.
Im not sure why the manual says to not use the throttle, any one else?Usually that motor is jettted on the lean side,stock, and I doubt youll foul a plug.

Old 10-27-2004, 07:54 PM
Pro Rider

The 650 is prone to flooding easily. When you aren't using it, make sure you turn the gas off. I found the best way to start it, on advice of a dealer, is to just give it enough choke to get it running, don't use full choke. Once it fires, back it off slowly, and it should settle out pretty quick. My buddy has flooded out his a few times just trailering it, so make sure you shut the fuel valve.

Old 10-27-2004, 08:27 PM
Weekend Warrior

Problem with my machine is that the choke itself doesnt work over half the time, we had it back to the dealer the same day we picked it up, they said there was an excess amount of grease in the choke mechanism not allowing it to work properly. Should we complain to the dealer again and tell him? You guys are great, I shoulda' taken some mechanical classes in school. TwoJay

Our original gripe was about the NOT TOUCHING THE THROTTLE on startup and the choke not working at all. You guys are telling me to hit the throttle abit on startup. ( Arctic Cat manual... Dont touch the throttle ) Will I have a problem in the middle of winter?

Old 10-28-2004, 04:03 PM
Elite Pro Rider

Now that all our cars and trucks use EFI, weve lost the art of starting with a carb. Its part art and part science. What ever procedure you find works, you should go with. There isnt a choke on these carbs..its an enrichment jet, when you pull the lever, a small passage is opened up, and a bit extra gas is available to the motor.
Youve already proved, using the throttle helps to get it going.
As it gets colder, youll need make it richer due to the lower temps. It can be done, by either restricting the intake( chokeing, with your hand or mitten), or make the mixture richer....bigger pilot jet, getting the "choke " working right,or adding throttle while cranking. Next time youre at the dealer, ask them what they do to get them going. Ill bet they use a bit of throttle when cranking.

Old 10-30-2004, 05:56 PM
Trailblazer

I have a 300 and I push in the throttle quickly before I start the bike.Then after it starts I slowly decrease the choke until the engine idols without any choke.

Old 10-30-2004, 10:54 PM
Pro Rider
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reason for not using the throttle is that "choke" is actually a fuel inrichment circuit and not an air restriction like a butterfly. When you open the throttle you don't pull fuel from "choke" circuit. Make sure unit is set at proper idle speed. I have seen units that have had to apply throttle just a little to start, I don't think you will be bothered with unit in cold weather.