Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

SHOCKS ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-2000, 08:01 PM
Range Rover
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anybody sell after-market shocks for the AC's?
Just curious... Thanx.... Ron

Old 09-03-2000, 09:50 PM
Pro Rider

Progressive told me over a year ago that they were gonna be making some Arctic Cat shocks. I guess they still think Arctic Cats have struts and not shocks, cause I surely don't see any thing coming from them.

I think the only way to get aftermarket shocks is to get custom models from Works, but don't tell them you have an Arctic Cat cause no matter what you say you have front struts(atleast thats what all 3 of the emploies of Works Performance say).

Old 09-03-2000, 11:40 PM
Pro Rider

I may be way off here, but I thought I remembered somebody saying something about there being adjustable shocks on the 300? Is that right? If so, how stiff are the settings and would they fit the 500, or are they too short i.e. not enough travel? I've got a lot of weight on the front of the 'Cat, which already makes it sag quite a bit. But, while trailering up to the property friday, my dad threw on a set of 10,000 lbs. ratchet straps over both 'Cats. Well, I wasn't there to do it myself, and when I found the 'Cats on the trailer, his was sitting fine, but mine had been cinched all the way down to full compression. The front end was sucked clear down to where the shocks were at full compression and the spring was starting to bend out. He only had one strap on each bike, but with the angle, it was pulling all the weight off the trailer. I followed him up to the property and we had to stop 5 different times to fix it. He nearly dropped my 'Cat off the trailer at 75 mph! Man, I was so mad I couldn't stand it, finally yelled at him over the radios and mom ended up making him pull over so I could re-do the entire setup. I've covered thousands of miles now trailer places and not once have I ever had to stop to check a strap, though in one 220 mile drive, we had to stop 5 times. My 'Cat now sits lower than it did before and I'm worried about damage done to the shocks, springs from the strap job. I'm heading down to the dealer for a check up next friday as that's the soonest I can get down there. Do you have any suggestions to help the 'Cat out? Other than never letting Dad tie them down again!? Would I be better off putting on snow plow shocks, if they even make them? Or, is a lift kit a better idea? Only reason I ask about that is the ones I've seen bolt onto the bottom of the shock bracket, and lift the shock itself an inch or two. Any ideas from anyone?

Thanks for the help!

Mike

Old 09-04-2000, 09:46 AM
Range Rover

Jeez--I want stiffer shocks up front myself. I find that I hit nose first (skidplate) too often. I'm just about to the point where I'm going to have to replace my full skid plate because it's just about torn in half right where it goes from vertical to horizontal in the front of the machine. I think if I get some stiffer shocks/springs I can reduce banging my front end on whoop-de-do's.