Arctic Cat Discussions about Arctic Cat ATVs.

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2004, 11:48 AM
Trailblazer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WHAT WERE THEY THINKING???

OK I think I may have heard this before but what was AC thinking when they designed the fenders on the 03 500? This weekend was the first time I've had mine out in the mud. (opening weekend for elk here). I have been riding in the desert and rocks during past deer seasons and previous elk hunts. Just want to ask about the stupid fender design, TOO NARROW, mud every where! Is there anyone making extensions or what has anyone done to correct them? I think it may be time to get out the Kydex and a heat former. Any help? Just want to add though, I was impressed how it handled the slop even with stock worn down tires, can't wait to see how it works with some mudders. [img]i/expressions/face-icon-small-disgusted.gif[/img]

Old 11-22-2004, 12:34 PM
Range Rover

A couple of ideas. Mine is an 01, but I bet the same applies. Had the same problem, mud everywhere. I actually bought the AC fender extension kit. Just as I was going to put them on I happened to read a post where someone kit something and it cracked their front plastic. The extensions are rather stiff, they bolt on with real bolts not plastic rivits, and trail below the quad. That just invited a collision. Anyway, I made floorboard covers as the bulk of the mud was coming up through the metal graded floors. I took some cardboard and made a template. It covers the metal grate theat extends in front of and behind the foot rest. For the most part they are rectangles with cutouts for the foot rests and brake or shifter depending on the side. I then traced it onto a heavy piece of plastic. I used an old mud flap from a tractor trailer / bus. About 1/8 - 3/16 inch thick. I then drilled about 6 sets of holes and looped zip ties around the factory metal grated floor board to hold them on. Problem solved. I get a little mud that makes it past but like 95% of what ever little bit comes up ends up on the outer edge of the back fender. No more caked up mud on my legs or down in my boots and I don;t have anything hanging below the skid plate.

Brent

Old 11-22-2004, 12:48 PM
Trailblazer

Thanks- I didn't have to much of a problem there, mine is from the outside of the fenders, the mud flies up and forward and all over the rig. It looks like a rooster tail from a hydroplane. Big mess all over.

Old 11-22-2004, 01:08 PM
Pro Rider

I got some 04 front fender flares because there ~ 2" wider and look allot better than the extenda flare kit. I posted early this month, here They work great with my tires.

Old 11-22-2004, 02:37 PM
Trailblazer

I didn't see a lot of difference in the photo's on your post. (Dark green bike?) or was that before you added the flares? What was the cost of the 04's and did you got through a dealer as mine in this area sucks! The 26 Mudlites are what I'm looking to get, do the work? I've only read the reports and they make them sound great. Thanks.

Old 11-22-2004, 05:21 PM
Pro Rider

I don't have any pics of it with the 04 flares, I'll try to take some and get them posted.
I don't have a cheap scoure for them.
I really like my mud lites, traction is great, they ride nice, and steer really easy. You will notice some power loss with the 26's but I think it's worth it.

Old 11-22-2004, 11:11 PM
Trailblazer

I've been happy with the fender extension kit on my 03 400i (traded)and my 03 500i.

Old 11-23-2004, 12:30 AM
Pro Rider

there is good and bad about having wide fender extentions like my 2000 300 arctic cat had very wide fender extentions i never got muddy but it seemed like i was always riveting them back on cause when you try to finess your way through the woods or around mud holes they have a tendency of catching alot of branches and tree's and getting ripped off and arctic cat's machines are very large in size and if you put aggressive tires on even the mud lites the deeper lugs seem to hold more mud on the lugs and throw more but the mud lites are a sweet tire and i noticed a big difference between the 03 and 04 fender extentions but with my tires they stick out 3 inches on the outside of the fenders anyways

Old 11-23-2004, 11:11 AM
Pro Rider

I have my tires on the stock rims so the 04 flare coverage is perfect with them IMO. The tires barely stick out past the flares. I'll try to get some pictures and get them posted.